PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tuesday games cancelled

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Tuesday games cancelled

Postby mustangxc » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:50 am

Hospitals also need to enact policies that prioritize all other conditions above COVID, especially for the unvaccinated. If an ICU is full, kick out unvaccinated COVID patients to make room for someone that has a heart attack or other emergencies.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:09 pm

Not sure what this has to do with not cancelling basketball games, but that’s a horrifying thought,
xc. If a triage situation occurs because of ICU bed and staff capacity, I’d rather individual care facilities make that decision based on existing standards and policy rather than attempting to issue a blanket “all other conditions go ahead of covid” fiat from above.
ponyboy

Postby JasonB » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:42 pm

I don't have a lot of empathy for folks who choose not to be vaccinated, but what are you going to do? Stop treating smokers for lung cancer as well? The obese for diabetes? Opening Pandora's box there...

Not getting a Covid vaccine or booster is one bad decision in a long line of bad decisions that human beings tend to make. We shouldn't be shipping out a death sentence for people that make a bad decision.,

That said, if the hospitalization numbers start cranking up with the cases, unfortunately, further precautions are going to have to be taken. That is still an "if"...

Cases started ramping up on a hockey stick on Dec 11 in Texas. To this point, hospitalizations are only growing slightly. Hopefully that trend continues for Omicron, but we won't really know what the hospitalization impact of this variant is for sure in Texas around Xmas (2 week period). Globally, it doesn't seem to be as severe as Delta, but needs to play out a bit before we start making judgements. Keep in mind that we are still only a month in from Omicron so we don't really know the death and hospitalization impact.
JasonB

Postby Topper » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:16 pm

Half of those hospitalized with Omicron in South Africa were there for symptoms unrelated to the virus. This means that there are tons of asymptomatic cases out there which further tells me that fast, efficient testing may be key to stopping the spread to vulnerable populations.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:48 pm

Or we could just go to a basketball game, understanding that life is but brief anyways.
ponyboy

Postby BUS » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:51 am

To live in fear is not life... folks, it is the flu and it will never be gone. That is science. If you get it you have 99.? Recovery.
Fact.
You have been scared out of your liberty.
God's Peace

The ball can be special this season. We have much more than just k d.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby mtrout » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:16 am

BUS wrote:To live in fear is not life... folks, it is the flu and it will never be gone. That is science. If you get it you have 99.? Recovery.
Fact.
You have been scared out of your liberty.
God's Peace

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... demic.html
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:05 pm

Each person has to gauge his or her risk tolerance. I don't go skydiving for a reason. I've seen the autopsy report for someone whose chute didn't open. Some people won't want to go to sporting events if there is any risk of catching COVID. Others have decided to take that risk. 85% of adults over the age of 65 have been vaccinated. Maybe more. Many have natural immunity from having had the disease. We now know that vaccination and natural immunity may not prevent you from catching COVID, but will ameliorate the symptoms. So, each of us has to decide what to do. I've opted for vaccination and booster after discussing it with my physician, and so far have not had the disease. I have not shut my life down. I have kind of resigned myself to the belief that some day, I'll catch it. If I do, I expect to survive it due to vaccination. But that's me. Others are free to lock themselves in their houses, getting deliveries from Amazon and food from Uber, and that's your choice. Divorce filings are way up as spouses have figured out that they can't stand each other 24/7. Suicides are up. Domestic violence is up, and elderly are dying not from COVID, but from despression from the lack of human interaction. So, there are downsides to either route.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby redpony » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:47 pm

ES- very true. My wife and I tested positive for 5 weeks but we were totally asymptomatic. We finally got approval to get the vaccination. We will get the booster when she returns from Spain. Being over 80 I smile each day that I see the sun shine and realize what will be will be.

Blessings to all and a very Merry Christmas.
redpony

Postby EastStang » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:46 pm

This discussion brought to mind this exchange:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TME0xubdHQc
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby BUS » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:42 pm

Not good at trout fishing but right on article.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Swamp Gas » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:29 pm

It is not "the flu." Infection rate is far higher. When is the last time the flu killed 800k Americans in a year and a half?

I hope the school can manage protocols to the level that games can be played. We all need a break from the world around us every now and then... and this has looked good. Keep it going.
Swamp Gas
Junior Varsity

Postby mtrout » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:42 pm

Swamp Gas wrote:It is not "the flu." Infection rate is far higher. When is the last time the flu killed 800k Americans in a year and a half?

I hope the school can manage protocols to the level that games can be played. We all need a break from the world around us every now and then... and this has looked good. Keep it going.

How many people died from the flu in the past year?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:07 am

mtrout wrote:
Swamp Gas wrote:It is not "the flu." Infection rate is far higher. When is the last time the flu killed 800k Americans in a year and a half?

How many people died from the flu in the past year?

The last flu season was very mild, as a result of Covid precautions, with only about 700 deaths. The season before Covid there were 22K deaths.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Previous

Return to Basketball