PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sutton Quote

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sutton Quote

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:52 pm

From The Daily Oklahoman -

SMU fired Mike Dement on Friday. Early reports indicate Sutton is on SMU’s list of candidates, but he said he has not been contacted. A source said Sutton would be “extremely interested” if SMU were to approach him.
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:56 pm

Sutton could be the ideal choice to replace Eddie Sutton, 67, after the coach retires. Even some skeptics are convinced, thanks to No. 6-ranked OSU’s remarkable season that continues today at Baylor.

Eddie Sutton is expected to coach next year, and possibly two or three seasons after that. So what happens if Sean Sutton, 35, is offered a job this spring? Under that scenario, another school could likely ask Sean Sutton to sign a long-term deal, preventing him from quickly returning to OSU.

“If the right job opens up and they’re interested in me, I would consider it strongly,” Sean said. “If it’s a place I feel I can win, a place you can develop a strong interest in basketball, and it’s a good fit for my family, if all three of those things are ‘Yes,’ then certainly I would be interested.”

One solution would be for athletic director Harry Birdwell to announce Sean Sutton will be OSU’s next coach. While impressed with Sean Sutton, Birdwell said that would be and extremely rare move.

“Sean is a great young coach,” Birdwell said. “He does an incredible job with scouting reports and motivating players. He’s a great tactician, a great X’s and O’s coach. But we’re not going to discuss personnel on the front page of the newspaper. When the timing is right, the right thing will be done to get the best coach to succeed Eddie.”

Whether Sean Sutton is approached with a job offer in March or April remains to be seen.

Most in the business agree Sean is ready to run his own program after spending 11 seasons on his father’s staff.

“I think Sean is the heir apparent who should automatically get the job when Eddie steps down,” ESPN analyst [deleted] Vitale said. “Sometimes we look for the magical guy from another school. Pittsburgh didn’t want to hire Jamie Dixon. Look at Pittsburgh now.”

Said fellow OSU assistant coach James Dickey, who was head coach at Texas Tech for 10 years: “I don’t think it’s even a question if Sean is ready or not. Sean would be great. He’s a student of the game and has a great understanding of the game. “I don’t say (he’s ready) because I’ve known him since he was very young. I say that because of how impressed I’ve been coaching against him and coaching with him. He’s involved in every aspect of this program.”

Said Eddie Sutton, “Too often head coaches get too much credit. I’ve got the best coaching staff in America. Sean coaches more than half the time on the floor.”

Unlike some coaches, Eddie Sutton delegates responsibilities to his assistants. Sean Sutton, though, might have more responsibilities than any assistant in America.

The past four seasons, Sean Sutton has been, to use a football term, OSU’s offensive coordinator. He calls nearly every play on offense. Sean Sutton also often devises game plans for big games such as Oklahoma, Kansas or Texas. Eddie Sutton estimates Sean Sutton watched 25 hours of tape to prepare a 20-page scouting report for the Bedlam rematch Feb. 16 in Norman.

For years, some Cowboy fans dreamed of former OSU player Bill Self returning to his alma mater. Now that Self is at Kansas, it’s doubtful he would be a candidate to replace Eddie Sutton.

“(Sean) deserves to be the next coach whenever that time is,” Self said. “I haven’t been around Sean in a coaching capacity, but he has had so many responsibilities he’s well-prepared. I coached Sean. I know he’s very, very bright. I can’t imagine that he’s not very, very solid in all areas.”
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Postby Dooby » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:05 pm

OSU beat Texas to clinch the Big 12 regular season last night.

Everything I have read about Sean Sutton leaves me impressed. He interviewed for the Cleamson job last year. He admits interest in the SMU job. I say bring him on board.

When his dad retires, he may or may not leave here to replace him at OSU. But he won't replace his dad unless he is a success. If Dement had been successful, he'd of listened to other offers too. So will Bennett. So will the next BB coach, whoever that is.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

sean sutton will not get the job.

Postby Bill » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:09 pm

I repeat
Bill

Postby EastStang » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:13 pm

He certainly knows our team. OSU seriously slapped us on national TV.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball