PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

GAME THREAD: MBB vs. Central Florida

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: GAME THREAD: MBB vs. Central Florida

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:24 am

I knew Bandoumel was "off" as far as his shooting, but did not realize he was shutting down UCF's leading scorer. Band held Darin Green to only 6 points and only 9 shots. Green came in averaging 16 points and had taken far more shots than anyone else on UCF's roster. Very impressive D
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:25 am

JasonB wrote:That is a fantastic win against a really good team. And the way we came back to win the game makes it that much more impressive.

It's time for everyone to get on board and support this team and let go of the Jank hate for the next two months.

It's also time for Janknovich to lead his team to a strong finish. We've seen too many teams start strong and then collapse with epic collapses in the last five minutes of the last 5 games of the season. Unfortunately this season, we had the two collapses in the early season tournament which made attaining an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament an almost impossible goal. Keep winning and win the conference and we will be in.
mustangxc

Postby JasonB » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:16 am

mustangxc wrote:
JasonB wrote:That is a fantastic win against a really good team. And the way we came back to win the game makes it that much more impressive.

It's time for everyone to get on board and support this team and let go of the Jank hate for the next two months.

It's also time for Janknovich to lead his team to a strong finish. We've seen too many teams start strong and then collapse with epic collapses in the last five minutes of the last 5 games of the season. Unfortunately this season, we had the two collapses in the early season tournament which made attaining an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament an almost impossible goal. Keep winning and win the conference and we will be in.

Trust me, I get it. We haven't had a smart team in a while, and those two losses were certainly disappointing. But the pieces on this team are really gelling. The defense is at a different level than it has been at since the LB years, and that should keep us in all of the games on the schedule. I wouldn't be surprised to see us at 22-8 or 23-7 entering the conference tourney, finish second in conference behind Houston and earn a bid.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:22 pm

A 12-6 finish in AAC play would be an accomplishment and put our guys at 21-9 going into the AAC Tourney (assuming no Covid cancellations). I'm thinking that's a pretty lofty goal but it would take winning the AAC Tourney or at least losing a closely contested championship game to have any hope. Will be interesting to see how the season plays out but I agree this is turning into a really good defensive team with enough offensive firepower to give them a chance to do something special this year.
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:03 pm

12-6 makes us a solid NIT team. Nothing lofty about that. We need to lose at most 3 more games to have any shot at the NCAA tournament unless we lose 5 more but end up sole winners of the regular season title. I don't think the AAC regular season champion would be left out of the NCAA tournament.
mustangxc

Postby JasonB » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:08 pm

Typically in the AAC, you have a team with a couple of losses and then a few teams with 4 or 5. 23-7 would put us at 14-4 in conference, probably second place and if we make it to the conference championship game as well we would be a lock for the tourney. There is no way the league doesn't get at least 2 bids this year.

12-6 looks nice, but is probably 4th place and won't get a bid. UCF, Memphis and Cincy will all end up around that 5-6 loss mark in conference.
JasonB

Previous

Return to Basketball