PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NCAA Bracketology

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: NCAA Bracketology

Postby DC-Pony » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:35 pm

mustangxc wrote:We have to keep winning. The losses to Missouri and Loyola Marymount are still a curse. Beat Temple, then Wichita State twice, and Houston. Do that and we will be projected in the field of 68.

Agree. And, the propensity of the Tourney Committee to show recency bias (assessment of team's heavily influenced by the team's more recent games leading up to the tourney) could help us if we keep winning many of our games. We've only lost once since November. We have 8 new players. Story of the roster having some time to gel as a "team" holds water. But, it is an irrelevant story without more winning.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:38 pm

Not only do we have to keep winning, but we need to win by larger margins than we did yesterday. Our NET dropped from 50 to 55 with the win. We in effect switched with TCU, who’s now at 51.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

NCAA Bracketology

Postby geezerdonk » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:22 pm

The only bracket SMU has to be concerned with is the one that affixes the toilet paper roll to the wall. What team have they lost to that has any chance of making the tournament? What team have they beaten that has has any chance of making the tournament? The four losses taken together is an automatic disqualifier.
Oregon 13-7 fourth in the Pac 12
Missouri 8-12 twelfth in the SEC
Loyola Marymount 9-10 eighth in the WCC
Cincinnati 14-6 fourth in the American
That's not a tournament resume. Its a resume to replace the basketball program with women's rugby which might actually draw some fans.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:34 pm

geezerdonk wrote:The only bracket SMU has to be concerned with is the one that affixes the toilet paper roll to the wall. What team have they lost to that has any chance of making the tournament? What team have they beaten that has has any chance of making the tournament? The four losses taken together is an automatic disqualifier.
Oregon 13-7 fourth in the Pac 12
Missouri 8-12 twelfth in the SEC
Loyola Marymount 9-10 eighth in the WCC
Cincinnati 14-6 fourth in the American
That's not a tournament resume. Its a resume to replace the basketball program with women's rugby which might actually draw some fans.

This is why a win over Houston is a must. Also need to root for TCU (and others) to lose. I won't have a hard time doing that.

Vandy plays 4 ranked teams in their next 5 games, including #1. We should all be Vandy fans now.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:37 pm

Oregon is a projected tournament team. Cincinnati is a bubble team that was ahead of us until a recent loss. Loyola Marymount and Missouri are unforgivable losses. On the plus side, Dayton may end up winning the Atlantic 10 if they keep up their great play as of late. We need that to happen and need UNLV and Vanderbilt to start beating some more upper echelon teams in their conferences so that they become tier 2 wins. Other than that we have to at least split if not sweep Houston and take at most 1 or 2 losses and they better not be at home and not against the worst teams in the conference such as East Carolina and Tulsa. As bad as Wichita State is right now, a loss to them in Kansas would be more palatable than a loss to Tulane. We can't afford to lose the home game to Houston because that is our lone opportunity to boost our resume.
mustangxc

Postby indianmustang » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:58 pm

from this website with a win vs houston would does lot of good
https://www.barttorvik.com/teamcast.php ... &year=2022
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby PonyTime » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:48 am

indianmustang wrote:from this website with a win vs houston would does lot of good

That's a cool site. A Houston loss to SMU moves them from a 3 seed to a 5 seed. And correct - we need more Q2 wins, which means we are all Dayton and UNLV fans too.

And if I am reading this right - we need to root for Tulane in every game that they are not playing SMU or Houston so that they stay Q2.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:16 pm

SMU fell from "next four out" this week.

Memphis made it up to "next four out" so at least we still have an outside shot at not being a one-bid league.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby indianmustang » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:28 am

indianmustang wrote:from this website with a win vs houston would does lot of good

now we are back in ,win all expected ones
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby wilshireheightspony » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:14 am

wilshireheightspony

Postby EastStang » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:32 am

Houston dropped to a 5 seed.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Sewanee Stang » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:07 pm

Just win the next game.
Sewanee Stang
Varsity

Postby Blvd_Stang » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:53 pm

We can only afford to lose to Houston the rest of the season, then we need to win at least 1-2 tourney games for a bid. Otherwise, SOS and bad losses are too much to overcome.

I believe it's possible, but we gotta be great.
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:26 am

Blvd_Stang wrote:We can only afford to lose to Houston the rest of the season, then we need to win at least 1-2 tourney games for a bid. Otherwise, SOS and bad losses are too much to overcome.

I believe it's possible, but we gotta be great.

I tend to agree. A road loss at Houston is understandable but our guys have to win out at Moody and "might" withstand a loss at Temple, but I consider today's game vs ECU a must win against a team that is 10-3 at home. Will be a challenge to match the intensity they had vs Houston
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:03 am

Charleston Pony wrote:A road loss at Houston is understandable but our guys have to win out at Moody and "might" withstand a loss at Temple, but I consider today's game vs ECU a must win against a team that is 10-3 at home. Will be a challenge to match the intensity they had vs Houston

Yeah I am admittedly a little nervous about the game today but I have a feeling Coach Jankovich will have the team ready.

Go Ponies!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball