PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

GAME THREAD: MBB vs. Cincinnati

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: GAME THREAD: MBB vs. Cincinnati

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:28 am

mustangxc wrote:This is clearly not an NCAA tournament team. We will be lucky to hold on for an NIT appearance. Yeah!!!!

Let's see how they respond before throwing in the towel but I suspect you are right and that it's looking like NIT or bust
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:42 am

When we finally pushed it midway through the second half and Cincy still expanded their lead, I knew it was over. Credit Cincy defense with keeping our guys off balance all night. Missed layups badly were because shots were rushed and pressured. Missed threes because our guys were off balance due to pressure and Davis was hemmed in, most of the game. Jank did not do much change to defense when Cincy started pulling away in the first and that is on him. Nor did the team seem prepared for what Cincy was doing defensively. When he went into the zone, Cincy had to shoot 3's and started to miss. Our defense on transition was putrid, guys didn't seem to know their assignments leaving Cincy open for easy shots which to their credit they drained. Refs were pitiful, but that didn't change the result much; in a close game, it might have made a difference. When there is a charge and the defender is inside the half circle is that reviewable? If so, Jank blew that one by not calling timeout and asking for a review. That was a big turning point in the game. I am glad he left starters in late to force them to get winded and perhaps they'll have more stamina in the next game. So, I give the team and Jank an F on this one. They just looked un-prepared.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby JasonB » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:59 am

Our transition defense has been pretty poor for a lot of this season, which is why we are so streaky with runs during the games.

In this game, Cincy punished us in transition, easily finding open shots. And we weren't effective enough on the offensive end to create situations where we were able to organize on defense outside of that one run in the second half.

Davis was on the bench and Phelps in during that one run. It isn't a coincidence. They ran two players at Davis all night and challenged him to make quick decisions. He held the ball and we had slow movement that allowed them to recover from the double team defensively.

Stop Davis and hammer us in transition is the book. Now it is up to us to adjust.
JasonB

Postby geezerdonk » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:14 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
mustangxc wrote:This is clearly not an NCAA tournament team. We will be lucky to hold on for an NIT appearance. Yeah!!!!

Let's see how they respond before throwing in the towel but I suspect you are right and that it's looking like NIT or bust

Throwing in the towel is what they do best.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby redpony » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:52 pm

and if cornin had been the coach the loss would have been twice what it was
redpony

Postby JasonB » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:10 pm

redpony wrote:and if cornin had been the coach the loss would have been twice what it was

I think their new coach is really, really good.

Also, kind of chicken sh** by Jank to run a full court press after they subbed in the walkons. I was really not impressed with that.
JasonB

Postby mtrout » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:57 pm

SMU: 4th placers shaped here
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Sasser Rules » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:02 pm

Man. A good team started out hot at home. Playing catch-up on the toad is hard for any team. I'm wonder about the rotation next time out. Did Agunanne play down the stretch when it was out of reach, or was that a message to Jasey and Clark?
Sasser Rules
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:25 pm

Sasser Rules wrote:Man. A good team started out hot at home. Playing catch-up on the toad is hard for any team. I'm wonder about the rotation next time out. Did Agunanne play down the stretch when it was out of reach, or was that a message to Jasey and Clark?

Late sub
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:46 am

Sasser Rules wrote:Man. A good team started out hot at home. Playing catch-up on the toad is hard for any team. I'm wonder about the rotation next time out. Did Agunanne play down the stretch when it was out of reach, or was that a message to Jasey and Clark?

Clark played 21 minutes, which was already stretching his time constraints. It was a clear message to Jasey.
JasonB

Previous

Return to Basketball