PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Memphis

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Memphis

Postby birddogger » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:59 am

I haven't been Jank's biggest fan, mainly because he has never impressed me as being an in-game coach. KD is the difference maker, to be sure, but I think Coach has managed this team well after some fits and starts during the early part of the season. These recent road wins have been impressive and game management has been very good. Hope this continues!
birddogger
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:53 pm

Jank has done a good job putting this team together and getting them to play well together but Coach Cooper has to get a lot of the credit for bringing the Weathers brothers. Those guys have been an upgrade from Chargois and Jolly
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTime » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:24 pm

I am not all that impressed with Jank's big win over an average Memphis team. The early non-Conf looses have put us in a position where we have to almost win out over the rest of the season as just about every team we play is average.

The level of competition in conference that Larrys teams played against was FAR superior than what we are playing now.

UCONN was coming off a National Championship
Cincy was rolling under Cronin and far better
Memphis was much better under Pastner
Add two games against a ranked Louisville in conference each year
Tulsa and Temple were better in those years
Adding Wichita was great until they became mediocre

Only team that has progressed significantly is Houston (and perhaps UCF / Tulane a bit).

There is a reason that some think that the conference could be a one bid league. This conference is down and it is only going to get worse when we have to play the Roadrunners and Rice Owls.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball