PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

GAME THREAD: MBB at Memphis

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: GAME THREAD: MBB at Memphis

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:58 pm

Just need to have good possessions down the stretch and take good shots. Will probably have to make a bunch of FTs to finish but looking pretty good right now
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:59 pm

Great job so far
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby EastStang » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:00 pm

Good thing Duren got in foul trouble
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:05 pm

As good a player Michael Weathers has been for us, you just can't keep him from forcing things at times. Bad turnover at a bad time
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:09 pm

Winning on the road against a very talented team despite not playing well is pretty amazing. Solid solid team win! Also, having Michael Weathers move the basketball past half court when teams trap KD is awesome!
mustangxc

Postby Sewanee Stang » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:11 pm

Huge win!
Sewanee Stang
Varsity

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:14 pm

First game that Kendrick didn't have an assist and yet we never trailed. Great team win.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SRQPony » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:15 pm

Excellent win - I'm not too happy with the announcers (who was that team that was beating Memphis the entire game?) but we just have to earn that respect I guess. Impressed with how our guys played.
SRQPony
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:21 pm

Really amazing to win a road game at Memphis when our guys hit only 26% from three, shoot less than 70% FTs including K.D. going only 6-10, team has only 12 assists vs 14 turnovers and yet K.D. gets his 20 points and 4 guys score in double figures. Pretty impressive defensive effort tonight and I think the fatigue showed in the poor shooting but a great team win with significant contributions from Young and Agunanne off the bench
Charleston Pony

Postby shadowman » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:29 pm

SRQPony wrote:Excellent win - I'm not too happy with the announcers (who was that team that was beating Memphis the entire game?) but we just have to earn that respect I guess. Impressed with how our guys played.

heh, those announcers sure were pro Memphis, funny to put them in their place. I think they talked tennis and golf about the last 4 minutes.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby shadowman » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:38 pm

Great Win!

First of all, Memphis is a very poor coached team, they have no idea what to do on offense, just a bunch of wannabe superstars that are constantly wanting to figure out how to get the ball and make themselves look good.

SMU shot poorly tonight, if we even shot just a little better, we would have won by 20. But you could tell the difference, SMU played as a team. Tough defense, sharing the ball, not afraid to body up in the paint.

Our bench players made a difference, they all played as a team with the common goal of winning.

I like this team the more and more I watch them play. Just keep it rolling, Nutall and Band will come out of their shooting slumps, and when they do, someone is going to pay.

Sucks we can't spank Wichita at home this Sunday, but we will show what we can do at USF next Wednesday.

SMU is now either back in the dance or at least the last 4 out, lets enjoy for the week and keep building.

Go Ponies!
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:46 pm

shadowman wrote:Great Win!

SMU is now either back in the dance or at least the last 4 out, lets enjoy for the week and keep building.

Go Ponies!

I would tap the brakes on this team being a tournament team. Let's see if they can stay healthy and keep improving but I still think they will need to finish a strong 2nd in the AAC and probably go undefeated at Moody to have any chance. I know that means beating Memphis twice, exacting revenge on Cincinnati but more important will be beating Houston...the only AAC team getting any national respect which they could lose if/when the suffer that 1st AAC loss. With Jasey out, this team needs Clark & Marcus Weathers to stay healthy and for Young and Agunanne to contribute like they did tonight or bigger physical teams that are more disciplined than Memphis are going to be a huge challenge.
Charleston Pony

Postby Doesntmatter » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:00 pm

Does anyone want to tell Red that Larry Brown just got beat by Jank? Is Penny diluting Larry? Maybe so but with all that talent and Larry coaching practice and on the bench, losing to Jank would seem improbable (if not impossible). Maybe Jank is hitting his stride with a couple decent assistants and 10 deep with respectable players? Oh, and Kendrick had 20 getting doubled the whole game. Finally, I loved Larry when he was here and disappointed (in him) with his exit. Go ponies!
Doesntmatter
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:43 am

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -straight/

They probably haven't been able to practice 5 on 5
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:12 am

1) Memphis is not good. SMU missed a ton of open threes, this could easily have been a 20 point win. Memphis on defense was pretty bad.
2) That said, winning from start to finish and never conceding the lead @Memphis is really a great result.
3) The physical, active defense and closing out in transition was a huge difference from the Cincy game.
4) Memphis, Tulane, and UCF are clearly the 4-6 teams in the conference and we have wins against all three, two of them away.
5) 9-2 the rest of the way would put us at 14-3 in conference, 23-6 overall. That gets us in the tourney. Not easy, but it is possible. Have to split @WSU, Houston, @Houston, Cincy and win all the others.
6) This game should really give the team a ton of confidence. They played smart and gave great effort defensively. I'd like to see us come out and just hammer USF and Temple in the next two games. That is the next step of evolution for this team.
JasonB

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball