PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

WBB falls to Houston, 60-55

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

WBB falls to Houston, 60-55

Postby PonyPride » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:41 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

SMU Goes Down Against Houston 60-55

DALLAS (SMU) – The SMU women's basketball team suffered its second conference loss Sunday, falling 60-55 to Houston in Moody Coliseum. With the win, Houston improved to 11-11 overall and 4-6 in the American Athletic Conference, while SMU dropped to 10-8, 4-2 in The American.

The Cougars scored the first basket of the game en route to a 6-1 early advantage. The Mustangs managed just two field goals in the first quarter and trailed 14-9 after the first 10 minutes. SMU matched its in-state rival in the second quarter, but still trailed by five at halftime, 29-24.

SMU cut into the lead in the third quarter and came all the way back to tie it when Jasmine Smith drained a three with 1:08 remaining in the third, locking the score at 38-38. The celebration was short live as Houston answered with a quick 5-0 run, starting the fourth quarter with a made three after leading 40-38 after three.

The Mustangs pulled within one, 45-44, with 7:28 left to play before Houston delivered what would be the deciding stretch of play. The Cougars scored the next nine points over a span of six minutes to lead 53-44 with 1:22 left in the game. The Mustangs rallied to get within five over the course of 24 seconds but were unable to get any closer.

Danielle Sanderlin grabbed a career-high 12 rebounds, and Smith led SMU in scoring with 16 points, making four 3-pointers. Savannah Wilkinson finished with 10 and pulled down five rebounds with five steals and three assists. Sydne Wiggins also finished in double digits, scoring 13 points.

SMU plays five of its next six games on the road starting Wednesday at Cincinnati at 6 p.m.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: WBB falls to Houston, 60-55

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:19 am

Considering the records of both teams, would this be considered as a bad home loss? I've been impressed with the new coach so far.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:13 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:Considering the records of both teams, would this be considered as a bad home loss? I've been impressed with the new coach so far.

We have similar NET rankings (they went from 91 to 84 and we went from 84 to 90) so probably not a great loss but not a bad loss I would guess. I agree with the optimism in the new coach!

It's never a good start when the other team scores the first basket.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:54 pm

I thought for sure when we finally tied the game that we would pull away but they had one player who hit some big three's from the corner that hurt us. Looking forward to seeing them Wednesday night up here.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:03 pm

Women just lost to a Wichita State team, that was 2-7 in AAC play.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby mrydel » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:37 pm

Key player went down with injury. WSU took over from there.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Return to Basketball