PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

1st place!!!!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

1st place!!!!

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:33 am

We’re in 1st place with a terrible HC. Tells you that this program is strong. On our way to our 3rd conference title in nine years. #dominatetheaac
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: 1st place!!!!

Postby ponyboy » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:51 am

Do we really have a terrible head coach? I truly do not understand. Can someone who is fair and dispassionate please explain? Because, short of some late season collapse, I’m seeing a guy who might get P5 coaching looks in the offseason. Shrugging my shoulders on this one.
ponyboy

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:10 pm

Getting votes in the AP poll too!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Diamond Girl » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:07 pm

I think Jank's doing a good job. He had his hands tied for several years due to LB and loss of scholarships. We're in a good position to making a statement this year, especially if we can finish the season with wins and a conference championship.
Everything we want is on the other side of difficult.
Diamond Girl
Heisman

Postby Thumper » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:11 pm

No, we have a good coach. He's not John Wooden or Coach K (puke) or whoever your favorite great coach is.

But he also isn't Tubbs or Doherty, either. Not even close.
Thumper
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:20 pm

I don't think Jank's a terrible coach but as they say the key to any college coach's success has always been more about the Jimmys & Joes than the Xs & Os and recruiting high level talent has been an issue since he took over. I think he did a really nice job assembling this year's roster but a ton of credit goes to Coach Cooper and his connection to the Weathers twins and KD's recruiting. Have to give Jank credit for bringing us Little Nic, then K.D. and hopefully Zhuric Phelps for the next several years so PG has been a strength of his in recruiting. I think he's done a really good job getting this year's roster of guys to play well together and this is the best defensive team he's had since the LB days which always gives us a chance (but this is still a team that lives and dies by the three).

SMU needs a strong finish, a NCAA bid and to actually win a game or two in the tourney to become relevant and attract some players via the transfer portal. Either that, or is there any possibility some of this year's seniors might come back and take advantage of that extra Covid season? Could NIL opportunities become a factor in those decisions? I just hope the guys can finish strong and make this a special season. Beat Temple and defend Moody!
Charleston Pony

Postby indianmustang » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:27 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I don't think Jank's a terrible coach but as they say the key to any college coach's success has always been more about the Jimmys & Joes than the Xs & Os and recruiting high level talent has been an issue since he took over. I think he did a really nice job assembling this year's roster but a ton of credit goes to Coach Cooper and his connection to the Weathers twins and KD's recruiting. Have to give Jank credit for bringing us Little Nic, then K.D. and hopefully Zhuric Phelps for the next several years so PG has been a strength of his in recruiting. I think he's done a really good job getting this year's roster of guys to play well together and this is the best defensive team he's had since the LB days which always gives us a chance (but this is still a team that lives and dies by the three).

SMU needs a strong finish, a NCAA bid and to actually win a game or two in the tourney to become relevant and attract some players via the transfer portal. Either that, or is there any possibility some of this year's seniors might come back and take advantage of that extra Covid season? Could NIL opportunities become a factor in those decisions? I just hope the guys can finish strong and make this a special season. Beat Temple and defend Moody!

Lets use NIL to maximum benefit
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby mustangxc » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:29 pm

I think the jury is still out. We have been in this position several times and had epic late season collapses. He has not been the most engaging coach (Larry Brown brought the students donuts, he is not active on social media), is somewhat lacking as a recruiter (we have struggled mightily in landing Top 150 high school recruits), and as I mentioned has led us to some epic late season collapses. However, he did manage to land Nic Moore, Kendric Davis, and the Weathers brothers. He has shown signs of life in recruiting with the additions of Zhuric Phelps and Stefan Todorovic and holds his own in the transfer market. I think he could have done much better in recruiting during the sanctions, but at this point I just want to win with or without him. I will withhold judgement until Selection Sunday as he has the opportunity to redeem himself or same old story. Hart is the one that should have been fired years ago and unless he gets us back to regular sold out crowds with substantially increased revenue, has no way to redeem himself of his incompetence.
mustangxc

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:05 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:We’re in 1st place with a terrible HC.

Yep
Bergermeister

Postby well travelled pony » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:05 pm

Jank sucks. No doubt
well travelled pony
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:14 pm

Fun while it lasted. Typical SMU though. Get our hopes up and now comes the annual late season collapse. I hope we win enough just to make the NIT at least.
mustangxc

Return to Basketball