PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Depth

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Depth

Postby DC-Pony » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:25 pm

I was encouraged about how our depth has looked the last couple of games. The vast majority of mins are being allocated to the starting five of Davis, Nutall, Weathers, Bandoumel, and Weathers. But, the contributions in limited minutes made by Phelps, Todorovic, Agunanne, and Young were valuable. Some of those contributions were not present in the box score, such as Young's defensive energy. And, this is notable despite Tristan Clark not even playing against ECU.

I like the starting line-up we have. The height scores me (all 6'5" and under), but the athleticism, ball handling, and shooting is very good. And several players play above their height, so to speak, including both Weathers and Bandoumel (Michael Weathers has serious ups he uses for rebounding and blocking shots).

The depth is going to be important down the stretch and in the post season. May need to shift to more height for stretches against some teams. The shooting off the bench can be a spark and plug if starters are struggling (note: Todorovic needs to continue to get looks). Use of our depth will also pay dividends for next year, in the grooming of Phelps, Todorvic, and Young. Jalen Smith hasn't been a big factor in several games. He could be a dark horse contributor.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Re: Depth

Postby Thumper » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:53 pm

What he ^^^^ said. Spot-on.
Thumper
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:05 pm

Have to give Jank credit for adapting to the roster and playing to our guys strengths, but come tournament time when games tend to be about defense and can become more half court games we are going to be in trouble with our lack of height. Offensively, this team excels when they can get out and score quickly in transition or when they move the ball and penetrate/drive and/or then kick out finding guys on the perimeter because we have a roster full of guys who can knock down open threes.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:28 pm

One of the things i really like about Weathers is that as our 'center' he can shoot for the outside which forces the other teams big men to move out and opens things up a bit.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Depth

Postby geezerdonk » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:48 pm

Latter day Reggie Franklin
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:48 pm

geezerdonk wrote:Latter day Reggie Franklin

I was thinking that also.