PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Game thread: MBB at Temple

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Game thread: MBB at Temple

Postby PonyPride » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:05 pm

FINAL: Temple 64, SMU 57
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby well travelled pony » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:06 pm

PonyPride wrote:FINAL: Temple 64, SMU 57

Unacceptable
well travelled pony
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:06 pm

I feel sick. I was thinking about making the trip for the Memphis game, what was I thinking?
mustangxc

Postby crazy horse » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:08 pm

There are times I hate being a Mustang fan.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby Screck » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:09 pm

Davis or not this was awful on all fronts
Screck
Scout Team

Postby DC-Pony » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:11 pm

crazy horse wrote:There are times I hate being a Mustang fan.

I hear you.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:11 pm

Pretty pathetic execution down the stretch for the more experienced team in this game. Really missed KD as Zhuric pretty much disappeared. I give Jalen credit for taking the open three late but he rushed it a little. That shot could have put this game away. Turned into the Weathers brothers vs Temple and just got really ugly down the stretch.

I agree this team probably now has to win out in the regular season or win the AAC Tourney to get into the NCAAs. Sure hope they can rebound and beat a red hot Memphis team but based on SMU basketball's recent history, I don't think any of us will be surprised to witness another late season collapse and end up hoping for the NIT
Charleston Pony

Postby Dark Horse » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:13 pm

Take a deep breath. Lost by 7 on the road with AAC's best player sitting at home (yes, Owls were missing guys too). Weathers brothers missed 4 shots in last minute they usually make -- it happens. Temple took 24 free throws, SMU took 9. Going cold at the end sealed it. Beat Memphis.
Dark Horse
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:17 pm

This team lives and dies by the three and is never going to win a road game hitting only 4-17 threes. Give Temple credit for completely taking our guys out of their game. Our guys actually shot better than Temple but 13 turnovers vs Temple's 5 and only 7 made FTs vs Temple's 19 (even though Temple's total was inflated there at the end) were killers
Charleston Pony

Postby DC-Pony » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:18 pm

Dark Horse wrote:Take a deep breath. Lost by 7 on the road with AAC's best player sitting at home (yes, Owls were missing guys too). Weathers brothers missed 4 shots in last minute they usually make -- it happens. Temple took 24 free throws, SMU took 9. Going cold at the end sealed it. Beat Memphis.

We can breathe all we want. Losing to a 13-9 team when you’re on the bubble isn’t going to get it done.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:34 am

It’s funny, i looked at SMU’s schedule and thought they’d go 5-4 over their last 9 games.

2 losses to Houston, and 2 losses between (Temple, Memphis, Cincy & Wich St)

I still hold that view, lose at Houston, and 1 loss at home, so for me, this game wasn’t the heart-breaking loss some are making it, although i certainly understand the frustration.

The Silver Lining for me is I just want Jank to leave.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:15 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:It’s funny, i looked at SMU’s schedule and thought they’d go 5-4 over their last 9 games.

2 losses to Houston, and 2 losses between (Temple, Memphis, Cincy & Wich St)

I still hold that view, lose at Houston, and 1 loss at home, so for me, this game wasn’t the heart-breaking loss some are making it, although i certainly understand the frustration.

The Silver Lining for me is I just want Jank to leave.

Being realistic, I also feared an ugly finish because the schedule is "back loaded". If this team somehow finds a way to rebound from this loss and can finish strong (which to me means only losing a closely contested road game at Houston), there might still be hope for the NCAAs. Road wins are tough and Temple is a uniquely competitive program with their brawling style of play.

Had to check again this morning and see that our guys only made 1-5 threes in the 2nd half as they allowed Temple to slowly gain momentum for that stretch run. Just the fact SMU took only 5 threes and the three ball was a much lesser part of the offense was very telling of how Temple lured us into a slugfest game. I'm a little surprised Jank didn't give Agunnane some minutes to bang down low. His game seems to fit Temple's style of play.
Charleston Pony

Postby BUS » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:09 am

Dark Horse hit it right on the head.
They got how many shots at charity stripe, and we got no offensive foul calls. At the start of the second half, I told my wife this was going to happen.

Hometown cooking.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby GHammond » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:24 am

Not only Agunnane, CP, but I feel like Clark is almost Jasey 2.0...clumsy, ineffective, not the same cat he was as he plays only 9 minutes with 2 points...plus, Bando with 6!!?!, are you kidding me, after a six 3’s 20 point plus night V ECU..like shooting a 68 and following it up with an 81....if Smith, Young, and Nutall are all going to play 15 - 20 minutes each, we are going to need more than a combined 2 points from those dudes. Strange night. Still battling for a conference title, but obviously need more UH nights V WSU / Temple evenings. POnyUP! Long Live Eric Longino.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby DC-Pony » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:48 am

BUS wrote:Dark Horse hit it right on the head.
They got how many shots at charity stripe, and we got no offensive foul calls. At the start of the second half, I told my wife this was going to happen.

Hometown cooking.

Can’t argue with possibility that pressure from hometown fans impacted the psychology of the refs. Because no way to confirm or refute.

What I do know is that Temple - over the last 10 mins of the game - was consistently aggressive going to the rim. And, SMU’s defense didn’t effectively adjust (eg pack the lane). We did switch to a 1-3-1 zone at one point which I argue is exactly the wrong zone defensive formation to defend against a team beating you off the dribble. Thus, SMU wasn’t in a great position on those drives to defend, and they resorted to lots of fouling.

When we drove the lane during that time period, it was often with zero motion in our offense and without any ball screens and we were driving into a pack of Temple defenders in good defensive position.

With those circumstances, more fouls on us than Temple is a logical and expected outcome.
DC-Pony
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball