PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2022/23 Men's Non-Conference

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2022/23 Men's Non-Conference

Postby PonyTime » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:35 am

mustangxc wrote:Very unimpressive schedule. New coach, but more of the same.


Have to agree with the lack of marquee names - will be tough to show a SOS. But I do have to say that I like Dayton, New Mexico, A&M, ASU, TCU.

But for this to be a strong schedule, we have to root pretty hard for those teams to win some early season games:

Aggies biggest non-Con game is @Memphis (This helps and hurts us - I guess we have to root for Memphis tho)

TCU gets Cal, Clemson/Iowa, Providence before our game.

Lobos have St. Marys and Iona

ASU has Indiana, Tennessee, and Cincy

After they play us - Dayton has a chance to perform in Atlantis vs WI, Kansas, TN, USC, etc
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

Image
User avatar
PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3821
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:01 am
Location: The Green Elephant

Re: 2022/23 Men's Non-Conference

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:55 pm

pretty funny that under Coach Jank (for awhile at least) they said we were too good and that no top teams wanted to play us at Moody.

VS

Coach Lanier now saying since we are NOT that good a team, it is difficult to get top ranked opponents to play us at Moody (downside too great if they lose).
User avatar
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5695
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:01 am

Re: 2022/23 Men's Non-Conference

Postby panhandle_pony » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:55 pm

Pretty good start for 2023 nonconferrnce.
https://wvsportsnow.com/report-west-vir ... s-tip-off/
panhandle_pony
All-American
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:47 am
Location: Destin, Florida

Re: 2022/23 Men's Non-Conference

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:09 am

panhandle_pony wrote:Pretty good start for 2023 nonconferrnce.
https://wvsportsnow.com/report-west-vir ... s-tip-off/


Pretty strong tournament field
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 24311
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: 2022/23 Men's Non-Conference

Postby DC-Pony » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:57 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
panhandle_pony wrote:Pretty good start for 2023 nonconferrnce.
https://wvsportsnow.com/report-west-vir ... s-tip-off/


Pretty strong tournament field


Agree. This will be two quality opponents for us.
DC-Pony
Junior Varsity
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:21 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: 2022/23 Men's Non-Conference

Postby ponyboy » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:54 pm

May need to attend that one.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 14693
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2000 4:01 am
Location: University Park,TX US

Re: 2022/23 Men's Non-Conference

Postby Doesntmatter » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:07 pm

mustangxc wrote:Very unimpressive schedule. New coach, but more of the same.

So, 2 ESPN top 25 teams (Dayton and TCU) plus A$M, ASU and Iona is unimpressive and more of the same? I expect New Mexico to be getting back to their winning ways too. So, 4-5 non-quad 1 or 2 games should be acceptable and I'd say it's a pretty gutsy schedule for a new coach with a new team that will need to gel in nonconference. You want unimpressive, see Tulane's schedule.
Doesntmatter
Scout Team
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:14 pm

Re: 2022/23 Men's Non-Conference

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:43 pm

Yeah it’s early, but i checked out 2 sources that rank college BB teams, neither source i follow.

Torvick has us going 12-18 and ranked #145

College Sports Madness ranks the top 144 teams, we failed to make the list.

I saw other sites that only ranked the Top 40-60, of course we didn’t make any of those lists.

Should be a challenging year.

I do applaud our schedule, all things considered it’s clearly superior to what Jank did.
User avatar
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5695
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:01 am

Re: 2022/23 Men's Non-Conference

Postby PonyTime » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:44 am

Doesntmatter wrote:
mustangxc wrote:Very unimpressive schedule. New coach, but more of the same.

So, 2 ESPN top 25 teams (Dayton and TCU) plus A$M, ASU and Iona is unimpressive and more of the same? I expect New Mexico to be getting back to their winning ways too. So, 4-5 non-quad 1 or 2 games should be acceptable and I'd say it's a pretty gutsy schedule for a new coach with a new team that will need to gel in nonconference. You want unimpressive, see Tulane's schedule.


Some of us are old enough to remember playing 7 top 25 teams (and winning 4 of them btw), finishing 23-9 and then being told our schedule was not tough enough to make the NCAA tournament. That was in 2014.

Our in-conference schedule is only getting worse and that means the OOC has to be much more of a test than TCU and Dayton.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

Image
User avatar
PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3821
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:01 am
Location: The Green Elephant

Re: 2022/23 Men's Non-Conference

Postby mustangxc » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:15 pm

Those are all continued series from Jankovich. ASU got postponed. TCU is back on because KD transferred out. The only new team is Texas A&M. It is more of the same. Some of the teams simply have improved rosters this particular season. Time will tell but still no discernible difference in recruiting or scheduling.
User avatar
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 7028
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: San Juan, PR

Re: 2022/23 Men's Non-Conference

Postby Doesntmatter » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:33 pm

PonyTime wrote:
Doesntmatter wrote:
mustangxc wrote:Very unimpressive schedule. New coach, but more of the same.

So, 2 ESPN top 25 teams (Dayton and TCU) plus A$M, ASU and Iona is unimpressive and more of the same? I expect New Mexico to be getting back to their winning ways too. So, 4-5 non-quad 1 or 2 games should be acceptable and I'd say it's a pretty gutsy schedule for a new coach with a new team that will need to gel in nonconference. You want unimpressive, see Tulane's schedule.


Some of us are old enough to remember playing 7 top 25 teams (and winning 4 of them btw), finishing 23-9 and then being told our schedule was not tough enough to make the NCAA tournament. That was in 2014.

Our in-conference schedule is only getting worse and that means the OOC has to be much more of a test than TCU and Dayton.

You're actually old enough to remember all the way back to 2014? Amazing.

The dynamics of scheduling are very difficult especially for a new coach with a totally new roster. ESPN is projecting TCU, Dayton, A&M, Iona, and Jackson St all as tournament teams. I didn't say the schedule was as good as way, way back in 2014, but it certainly isn't unimpressive. Again, you want to see unimpressive, see Tulane's schedule and Tulane is on Lanardi's first four out with their truly unimpressive schedule. Finally, how's our in-conference schedule worse this year? Houston is projected to be a 1 seed and we play them twice.

I'm old enough to remember when our fans didn't bag on the team, coach and admistration every chance they get. Let them at least play a season before you decide to diss what they're doing.
Doesntmatter
Scout Team
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:14 pm

Re: 2022/23 Men's Non-Conference

Postby Screck » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:58 pm

Agree with Doesntmatter. Not a bad schedule. Quit whining online and show up to some games!
Screck
Newbie
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:15 pm

Re: 2022/23 Men's Non-Conference

Postby PonyTime » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:36 am

Doesntmatter wrote:
You're actually old enough to remember all the way back to 2014? Amazing.

The dynamics of scheduling are very difficult especially for a new coach with a totally new roster. ESPN is projecting TCU, Dayton, A&M, Iona, and Jackson St all as tournament teams. I didn't say the schedule was as good as way, way back in 2014, but it certainly isn't unimpressive. Again, you want to see unimpressive, see Tulane's schedule and Tulane is on Lanardi's first four out with their truly unimpressive schedule. Finally, how's our in-conference schedule worse this year? Houston is projected to be a 1 seed and we play them twice.

I'm old enough to remember when our fans didn't bag on the team, coach and admistration every chance they get. Let them at least play a season before you decide to diss what they're doing.


I will be rooting for the Ponies to win the conference. Because that is what they will need to do to make the tournament. I have showed up to support SMU at home and on the road for over 30 years. Many times in a crowd of 10s of SMU fans on the road.

Perhaps Tulane can't schedule anyone because they play in a HS gym. Have been there a number of times to support SMU MBB.

With a new coach, am sure that there will be a learning curve. You are right - All you can do is beat the teams that are on your schedule and hope for the best.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

Image
User avatar
PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3821
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:01 am
Location: The Green Elephant

Previous

Return to Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests