PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rumor mill

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Rumor mill

Postby crazy horse » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:51 pm

I don't get the hoopla over McCasland either. I'll defer to the basketball experts whether he is an upgrade from Jank. I just don't see any top recruit changing their college choice to SMU because of him.

The last job search we were fishing in deep waters before landing Brown. Now we seem content with a cane pole in Turtle Creek.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:10 pm

McCasland has done very well at UNT and let's be honest, UNT has zero basketball tradition and is in a 1 bid CUSA. Getting to the NCAA tournament and NIT in that league and another first place finish which would have guaranteed at least another NIT if not an NCAA bid in the COVID shortened season is very impressive. He is also a former Scott Drew assistant and while I would never want to play for Drew, he turned Baylor from nothing and murder ravaged sanctions to national champions. We could find another up and comer that might have some Texas ties, but none of these coaches are going to excite you on signing day. It's more a case of a Sonny Dykes who was a logical hire and proved to be a great hire over time.

In terms of superstar coaches, the only one that would fill that bill that we could possibly lure is once again Rick Pitino. Aside from him, the big fish like John Calipari are not coming and our other options are retreads like Ben Howland, Mark Turgeon, Avery Johnson, or maybe even a Fran Fraschilla who lives in Dallas and is very familiar with the program. I wouldn't hire Fran but would at least inquire with him or hit him up for suggestions.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:23 pm

Bring back Larry who’d rock it in the NIL era.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:16 am

the fact that Jank was fired so quickly tells me it was obviously pre-planned. That being the case, if McCasland was indeed our 1st choice, it is extremely perplexing why he hasn’t signed yet. He wants too much $$$….they didn’t know this a month ago?????

Contrast this to how TCU pursued Sonny. He was effectively in the bag weeks before it became public.

I don’t know if SMU has a bigger fish or not, but if they do, why bring up rumors of NTSU or ACU coaches???

If they don’t have a bigger fish, then this has the makings of a cluster ****
SoCal_Pony

Postby mustangxc » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:41 am

My thoughts exactly SoCal. It is precisely why I'd rather keep Jankovich for 3 more years and get rid of Hart, the single biggest issue plaguing SMU athletics.
mustangxc

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:20 am

LOL.... 48 hours in and we have a panic thread!
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby redpony » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:57 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:LOL.... 48 hours in and we have a panic thread!

No panic. Just surprised so little activity. Especially after having a new fball coach 48 minutes after the old one left.

Agree that we need a LB 2.0 but doubt if that will happen. Time to see what little rickey will do- go big or continue with mediocrity and hire a 'nobody'.
redpony

Postby mustangxc » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:19 am

Not panic, but if our fans have been clamoring for change the last 4 years and waited for the contract to expire so as to not have to pay any buyout money and all of a sudden money is an object in hiring what is said to be our primary target, what are we doing? There is clearly no alignment between the AD, President, and BMDs. If that is the case, why not keep Jankovich. If we aren't all in, I at least prefer regular NIT bids to what we were the 30 years before Larry Brown.
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:20 am

crazy horse wrote:The last job search we were fishing in deep waters before landing Brown. Now we seem content with a cane pole in Turtle Creek.

:lol:
ponyboy

Postby Otto » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:37 am

PerunaPunch wrote:Bring back Larry who’d rock it in the NIL era.

The guys who would "kill it in the NIL era" from LBS staff are Jerrance Howard and Ulrich Maligi - both now at UT
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby Lefty » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:44 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:Contrast this to how TCU pursued Sonny. He was effectively in the bag weeks before it became public.

Maybe McCasland is simply the anti-Sonny, and didn't negotiate with one school while still under contract to another.

redpony wrote:No panic. Just surprised so little activity. Especially after having a new fball coach 48 minutes after the old one left.

Agree that we need a LB 2.0 but doubt if that will happen. Time to see what little rickey will do- go big or continue with mediocrity and hire a 'nobody'.

Let's go ahead and retire the Pitino talk. Iona is paying him more than $5 million per year. No way SMU more than doubles Rhett Lashlee's salary for anyone in any position on campus.
Lefty
All-American

Postby PonyTime » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:56 am

Agree - Pitino is not coming (They should have made a run at him two years ago though).

And remember - Larry Brown signed on when we were headed to the Big East Conference. We were going to be playing Villanova, Notre Dame, Georgetown, Louisville, UConn, Providence, UCF, Houston, Rutgers, Cincy, SDSU, Boise, UCF, etc.

Our Conference now will have none of those teams. Replaced with UTSA, North Texas, Rice, Tulane, Charlotte, FAU, UAB.

I am starting to think that 2012 was the pinnacle of SMU sports in this century. For about 5 min were were big time.

"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby crazy horse » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:38 am

No panic here either. Just comparing this search to others. Surely Jank's retirement was no surprise, so I thought they would likely have a replacement lined up. Rumors suggested the UNT coach which to me seemed a little underwhelming. I would think our big money guys have had plenty of time to "fish" this year for the right one. Hopefully, the delay means that he is still coaching in a tournament. I would be fine with that.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:51 am

https://amp.kansas.com/sports/college/b ... 24499.html

Tang is making $2.1M per year at KSU and hired Maligi away from UT where he was making $400k. Tang also hired a top assistant from UNT, not Grant.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby MDJenkins » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:37 pm

What all of you are forgetting is that we have an incompetent buffoon with Lil Ricky Hart at the helm. He should have been working behind the scenes to have all of his ducks in a row for a seamless transition with the new coach. The guy represents a comedy of errors and missteps at every turn. It’s arrogance at its worst.
MDJenkins
Scout Team

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball