PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rumor mill

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Rumor mill

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:38 pm

MDJenkins wrote:What all of you are forgetting is that we have an incompetent buffoon with Lil Ricky Hart at the helm. He should have been working behind the scenes to have all of his ducks in a row for a seamless transition with the new coach. The guy represents a comedy of errors and missteps at every turn. It’s arrogance at its worst.

I doubt Little Ricky will have much to do with this hire. And that could be one good reason why there’s a seeming radio silence here.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:37 am

Really surprised there's not more speculation about the new hire. Too quiet.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:08 am

I wonder if the person who we are after is still coaching in one of the tourneys?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:39 am

Terry Webster wrote:I wonder if the person who we are after is still coaching in one of the tourneys?

That is the best-case possibility.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby GHammond » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:46 am

Sorry if already shared, but Joe Golding’s sister is married to Sonny Dykes....pass the popcorn.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:46 am

Kellen Sampson?
mustangxc

Postby GHammond » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:59 am

Pretty sure I just saw Tad Boyle at La Madeleine....ordered an everything bagel with cream cheese, decaf.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:13 am

Tad Boyle would do. Not sure why he’d go from a solid PAC-12 job to the AAC. But he played under Larry Brown. At this point, I’ll take a guy who once drove by Larry’s summer home.
ponyboy

Postby EastStang » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:27 am

Unleash the Purple Hippo. Get the relevant private jet Id numbers.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Topper » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:37 am

The El Paso tv station says a firm hired by SMU is looking at Joe Golding but that he supposedly hasn't talked to anyone yet. $1.5M buyout. Does anyone know about this headhunter firm? I've never been crazy about these types of consultants. Just an out so that the AD can't be blamed for a bad hire?
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:51 am

ponyboy wrote:Tad Boyle would do. Not sure why he’d go from a solid PAC-12 job to the AAC. But he played under Larry Brown. At this point, I’ll take a guy who once drove by Larry’s summer home.

Danny Manning is available. :D

It's incredible to recognize Tad Boyle. Daughter is apparently graduating from CU this year. One son has graduated from Pomona College and another hoops there. Tad could be ready for a move. He had a nice run in 2020-21 but this year they lost in the first round of the NIT. They beat Arizona at home, split with Wazzu and beat Oregon two out of three.

Influence of Search Firms in MBB Hiring
https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/the-influence-of-search-firms-in-mens-basketball-hiring/
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Topper » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:22 pm

tristatecoog wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Tad Boyle would do. Not sure why he’d go from a solid PAC-12 job to the AAC. But he played under Larry Brown. At this point, I’ll take a guy who once drove by Larry’s summer home.

Danny Manning is available. :D

It's incredible to recognize Tad Boyle. Daughter is apparently graduating from CU this year. One son has graduated from Pomona College and another hoops there. Tad could be ready for a move. He had a nice run in 2020-21 but this year they lost in the first round of the NIT. They beat Arizona at home, split with Wazzu and beat Oregon two out of three.

Influence of Search Firms in MBB Hiring
https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/the-influence-of-search-firms-in-mens-basketball-hiring/

That is an interesting study re search firms, but so many other variables at play I don't put much stock into it.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:37 pm

GHammond wrote:Pretty sure I just saw Tad Boyle at La Madeleine....ordered an everything bagel with cream cheese, decaf.

"This is it (my dream job), there’s no doubt," Boyle said after being named head coach on April 19, 2010. "I remember talking with (Maryland men's head coach) Mark Turgeon once when he asked me where I wanted to be in 10 years, and I said the head coach at the University of Colorado. This is a destination job. I'm humbled and honored."
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:44 pm

EastStang wrote:We'll see if they get McCaslin, if not, I'd really consider Turgeon if he has any fire left after Maryland. Maryland is a tough school on coaches with UA owner meddling in everything. Turgeon also would not have a buyout.

Reportedly, the Maryland administration wanted to go down a different path, and Turgeon was "worn down by the job and fan base." This change came mostly as a shock because Turgeon had just signed a three-year contract extension in April, meaning he would stay coach until the end of the 2025-26 season.Dec 3, 2021

Wonder what his "severance" terms might have been?
Charleston Pony

Postby FriscoPMG » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:18 pm

Grant McCasland is no longer an option according to Jeff Goodman:

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
No shock. McCasland staying at UNT and passes on SMU. Didn’t even talk to a couple other high-majors that reached out.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1507442086186041349
FriscoPMG
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball