PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rumor mill

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Rumor mill

Postby PonyTime » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:47 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:I thought this for FB as well.

That was a very generous gift of $50M by Garry Weber.

Once again, using the 7.5% return rate, i wonder if Coach Lashlee would rather have the expansion or $3,750,000 each year in NIL disbursements.

That’s paying your top 40 players some $100k per year.

Which would make SMU more competitive???

I wonder if our AD even had this discussion.

With that kind of creative thinking, SoCal Pony should be our next AD.

And if SoCal will work for 50% of Hart, we just add the extra Rick Hart $$$ to the pot as well :-)

And we all know that, with Socal in charge, our future BBall schedule will include USC, UCLA, Pepperdine, LMU, and SDSU in the near future as well.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:24 pm

I think colleges and universities directly participating in NIL deals is still very much in question as to whether that could land you on probation. Probably not a good idea for SMU to be the test case. Safer to go through boosters that are simply "friends of the program"
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:28 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I think colleges and universities directly participating in NIL deals is still very much in question as to whether that could land you on probation. Probably not a good idea for SMU to be the test case. Safer to go through boosters that are simply "friends of the program"

I doubt SMU was going to be the one footing the $2 million in salary so it would just be directed to another direction.
mustangxc

Postby Doesntmatter » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:50 pm

Yep, it’s donor money so it can go to the collective. Who makes more in the NBA, coaches or players? It’ll be a college trend before you know it. College coaches are overpaid anyway.
Doesntmatter
Scout Team

Postby Hoofprint » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:57 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Speaking of Shawn Wiiliams, is he still coaching H.S. ball in the area?

I think he's the top guy at Rock Hill HS in Prosper, Texas
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby Topper » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:56 am

As of this a.m. it looks like Lanier is the most likely new HC. Can anyone put his less than impressive won/loss record into perspective? It looks like he is being judged mostly on his assistant coaching credentials. Of course we may be in a new world and NIL may have much more to do with future success than whoever is calling timeouts and coaching on the floor.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:17 am

Topper wrote:As of this a.m. it looks like Lanier is the most likely new HC. Can anyone put his less than impressive won/loss record into perspective? It looks like he is being judged mostly on his assistant coaching credentials. Of course we may be in a new world and NIL may have much more to do with future success than whoever is calling timeouts and coaching on the floor.

That is a good point.

I will admit to being extremely underwhelmed with the hire, but it is possible Lanier has some innovative ideas for managing the slush fund.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:30 am

Doesntmatter wrote:Yep, it’s donor money so it can go to the collective. Who makes more in the NBA, coaches or players? It’ll be a college trend before you know it. College coaches are overpaid anyway.

another excellent point dm

I remember reading years ago an article with quotes from Coach K & Bobby Knight (then at Indiana) stating players shouldn’t be paid for the purity of college athletics. Then both these coaches received lucrative shoe deals and were kinda forcing their kids to wear their shoes. Total hypocrisy.

NBA teams have average player payrolls of ~$135M. Avg NBA HC makes ~$5M.

With the BLM movement, the fact that these institutions are predominantly white while the athletes are predominantly black and just the basic economics of fairness, I don’t see this recent phenomenon of openly paying players going away.
SoCal_Pony

Postby redpony » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:42 am

With respect to the NIL. I wonder if we could have two or three NIL systems. One exclusively for fball, one for bball and one for other sports.
I suspect there are those who would prefer their contributions be used only for fball and not diluted by other sports and vice-versa.

That was always a bit of a problem with donations to the Mustang Club.
redpony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:12 pm

redpony wrote:With respect to the NIL. I wonder if we could have two or three NIL systems. One exclusively for fball, one for bball and one for other sports.
I suspect there are those who would prefer their contributions be used only for fball and not diluted by other sports and vice-versa.

That was always a bit of a problem with donations to the Mustang Club.

Absolutely, that is where this is trending. Booster groups such as Mustang Club will diminish in power.

All you have to do is look at the ‘relatively’ fanatical support from our Swimming & Diving alumni. We are the only university with indoor & outdoor Olympic pools thanks to their donations.

Why should they give $$$ to the MC when they could establish a S&D NIL.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:51 pm

Introduced today! Good luck coach!!
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:18 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
JasonB wrote:But if you look at the Morris and Lashlee hires, you are taking top assistants from major programs. If you roll back Lanier before his Georgia State time, that is exactly what you have - Assistant head coach at a Tennessee program on the rise, and prior o that Texas and Florida when they were good. It tracks with that pattern, but with more actual head coaching experience than either RL or CM had at the time. So I should probably be more excited than I am.

I disagree with your analogy.

You are ignoring the fact that Lanier was a HC at Sienna for 4 years before being fired.

Overall losing record there including 20-40 his last 2 years.

He’s in his mid 50’s.

Now if you say Lashlee got gig as a Missouri Valley HC, posted a losing record, got fired, went back to being an assistant at Arkansas before being hired as a Sun Belt HC who just came off a bowl victory, then i would agree with you.

Lanier has said he was in above his head when he got the Sienna job. It came too early for him and he didn't have the experience to bring the team back mentally when it cratered in year 4.

Like I said, I don't view this as a home run, but it isn't a disaster.
JasonB

Postby HubbaHubba » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:25 pm

It's not a homerun more like a sacrifice fly when you're down by 6 runs in the 9th.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby JasonB » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:30 pm

Topper wrote:As of this a.m. it looks like Lanier is the most likely new HC. Can anyone put his less than impressive won/loss record into perspective? It looks like he is being judged mostly on his assistant coaching credentials. Of course we may be in a new world and NIL may have much more to do with future success than whoever is calling timeouts and coaching on the floor.

Siena was a long time ago, and he said he didn't have the experience at the time to handle it. That last year was terrible.

The alumni at Tenn loved him. He gets massive support from Barnes. He was second in command there. While I wouldn't overexaggerate his recruiting history, I wouldn't disregard it either. He has fantastic relationships in Texas, and while people focus on the blue chips he was involved in, he also was very involved in identifying and recruiting high end 3 star players who ended up being stars at Tenn, and that is exactly what we need to recruit be successful at SMU - bring in the Shake, Brown, and Moores of the world and sprinkle transfers on top. The fact that he is already connected to some key transfers for next year is a really good sign. Our path to the top 25 is getting Alex, Todo, Phelps, and Smith on board and then adding high-end transfers like the Louisville kid on top of it. I think that matches his recruiting philosophy, while we will also swing for the fences with the big recruits out of high school as well.

I don't think it is a home run, and I am a little meh on it, but I completely see why SMU made the move, and the fact that the industry experts really like the hire is improving my outloook.
JasonB

Postby JasonB » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:38 pm

HubbaHubba wrote:It's not a homerun more like a sacrifice fly when you're down by 6 runs in the 9th.

Home run hire if he:
- Keeps Phelps, Todo, Smith, and Alex in the fold.
- Gets two of Band, Nutall and Davis to come back.
- Nutall, by the way, is a player he will get way more out of than Jank did because he won't have him sit outside and take threes all day. I think Frank also. Cisse and Young I am not sure about.
- Brings in two really good transfers. If he can get the Louisville kid or someone at that level of athlete.
- Brings in one additional upper 3 star HS player or a mid-level recruit like his Georgia State transfer.

That will get us on the right trajectory. We are going to get beat up early because he is going to significantly ramp up the non-conference schedule. I would expect to see year 1 be a struggle in non-conference and then we come together at the end of the year, similar to what his team did at Georgia State this season.
JasonB

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball