PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rumor mill

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Rumor mill

Postby mustangxc » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:10 am

I'll consider it a success if he lands 2 Top 150 HS players this offseason and 1-2 every subsequent season, and has us in the NIT this season and the NCAA tournament by year 3. Anything less than that would be a failure. He also needs to add a pair of top 150 transfers to this roster to keep things rolling. This is not a rebuild, he needs to win 20+ games immediately. Otherwise it is a step backwards.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:19 am

redpony wrote:Seems odd that all the 'decision makers' are on board with a no-name hire instead of going big for a well known coach.

What "well known" coach was available this month? If so, were they interested in SMU?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:19 am

Even if all key players stick around for next year, I say we give him the standard timeframe to implement his system before we start declaring standards for failure.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:30 am

ponyboy wrote:Even if all key players stick around for next year, I say we give him the standard timeframe to implement his system before we start declaring standards for failure.

His 1st challenge might be to get K.D., Bandoumel & Nutall to all come back and to keep last year's FR Phelps, Smith & Todorovic on board. He then needs to find some impact big men via the transfer portal. Along with the 2 incoming recruits, that would be a deep roster and a team that could compete for the AAC title and that elusive NCAA bid. Lanier has demonstrated he can get a team to peek come tournament time so I'm confident he can get his team to buy into his system and be ready to play it's best basketball by March
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:39 am

Jankovich "underperformed" the last several years and went 19-11, 11-6, 24-9. Last season was a very veteran team, but two years ago not so much so 19-11 plus the conference tournament puts us at 20 wins and that needs to be the floor. Yes, Jankvoich failed at landing the top HS prospects every season until last year, but he found a way to get us impact transfers to give us hope every offseason. We need to build on that.
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:05 pm

Ok.
ponyboy

Postby PonyTales » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:48 pm

I'm very curious who his assistants will be
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby horsemanx » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:03 pm

PonyTales wrote:I'm very curious who his assistants will be

I am quiet curious too. Quiet curious indeed.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby EastStang » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:46 pm

With our new conference starting in 2023, you no longer have any great historical teams. Wichita, Tulsa, Memphis (on probation), UAB, UNCC, and us. If we play to the level of the current AAC, we should be able to win the conference and go dancing regularly. Let's start by winning our locker room and then adding pieces to make us competitive next year in the AAC. Then we should be strong enough to win the conference in the following years. Otherwise, we have reason to be disappointed.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:12 pm

mustangxc wrote:Jankovich "underperformed" the last several years and went 19-11, 11-6, 24-9. Last season was a very veteran team, but two years ago not so much so 19-11 plus the conference tournament puts us at 20 wins and that needs to be the floor. Yes, Jankvoich failed at landing the top HS prospects every season until last year, but he found a way to get us impact transfers to give us hope every offseason. We need to build on that.

Hope is not a plan. :roll:
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:21 pm

ponyboy wrote:Even if all key players stick around for next year, I say we give him the standard timeframe to implement his system before we start declaring standards for failure.

LOL…” is “standard” six years? Given how long they held on to Jank and waited until there was no buyout I’d expect some degree of patience. If he schedules a better OOC, proves he can improve on recruiting and actually engage students and alums he’ll succeed.

If Jank proved anything at all its that a suspect W-L record filled with cupcake wins and bad losses will get you bupkes.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:30 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:

LOL…” is “standard” six years? Given how long they held on to Jank and waited until there was no buyout I’d expect some degree of patience. If he schedules a better OOC, proves he can improve on recruiting and actually engage students and alums he’ll succeed.

If Jank proved anything at all its that a suspect W-L record filled with cupcake wins and bad losses will get you bupkes.

'
Hoyt posted a remark after the event how the coach mentioned about the importance of scheduling better competition and how a loss to a top team helps more than a win against a cruddy team.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:06 pm

I’m very glad to hear that.
ponyboy

Postby JasonB » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:18 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:

If you dive into his record a Georgia State, you will find he upgraded the OOC schedule, and it is part of the reason for fewer wins. He will schedule hard with the intent of making it easier for conference play.

We will know by the fall if this is going to work out by the level of players he lands as transfers and HS recruits.
JasonB

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:42 am

JasonB wrote:
sadderbudweiser wrote:

If you dive into his record a Georgia State, you will find he upgraded the OOC schedule, and it is part of the reason for fewer wins. He will schedule hard with the intent of making it easier for conference play.

We will know by the fall if this is going to work out by the level of players he lands as transfers and HS recruits.

Most of the criticisms of the hire seem to be based on two things: his overall W-L record and his performance at Siena 20 years ago. A deeper dive reveals a guy with character. A guy who has taken the bumps and bruises common in a brutal profession and actually benefitted from them. I think he’s ready for this job and up to the task.

If he can bring KD and Band into the tent that will be a great start. Most likely they’ll be seeking counsel from Jank. And, given the way Jank’s exit was handled I doubt he’ll have much negativity towards the two of them coming back for another run. I’ll bet Nic Moore will provide some solid advice too.

Let’s get this thing rolling!
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball