PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rumor mill

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Rumor mill

Postby redpony » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:09 am

MXC- you are absolutely correct. RGT had many years to improve our sports programs and did nothing. lil rickey is nothing more than his lap boy. It is the results that count.

On several occasions I spoke with Pye at social events. We talked academics and sports. Never did he give me the indication that he was intent on trying to destroy our sports programs yet we saw the results. Just shows how much actions speak louder than words.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:22 am

Hart has been at SMU since mid-2012 has raised a lot of money on his watch but apparently the biggest fault would be holding onto coaches for too long. One can look back and say these coaches stayed a couple years two long: June Jones, Travis Mays, Rhonda Rompola.....Tim Jankovich?

While Orsini had the circle of champions which brought June Jones to SMU, plus raised the $40M in funds for Moody's renovation and hired Larry Brown.

Under Hart's watch SMU renovated Moody, SMU Tennis Complex, Natatorium, Golf Training Center at Trinity Forest Golf Club, Football Indoor Practice Facility and now the $50M endzone complex. However, he botched the Moody reseat after Larry Brown departed. I'd heard that in the first year, there was positive cash flow but fans were ticked off in the process and attendance declined (more than the on court record would dictate).
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:48 am

All you have to do is look at what a poor turn out we saw yesterday to know enthusiasm for the basketball program is waning.
Charleston Pony

Postby Topper » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:01 am

At this point it is up to the alums and boosters more than ever to take advantage of NIL to bring in the types of kids we need to replace the outgoing players. I am not a basketball or coaching expert, but I have watched SMU basketball faithfully since the Beasley brothers were here. Jankovich appears to me to be an able guy with no visible character flaws like many of the egomaniacal coaches who seem to find a place coaching basketball. I don't know if he will stay or if he wants to, but if you look at his overall numbers it is hard for me to argue with his coaching. Let's figure out how to work the NIL angle and bring in the very best talent, particulary a couple of monsterous big guys for whoever is coaching next year.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:08 am

I would think that in the LB days of success our bball program was cash flow positive. Today our fans have been driven away by the pathetic re-seat program and lack of enthusiasm for teams that are less than exciting. We really need a new coach who will restore winning at the top level and can bring back the alums and students. A coach who in not afraid to schedule well known teams and bring back the reputation that Moody once had as the place to be and be seen.
redpony

Postby redpony » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:15 am

Topper wrote: if you look at his overall numbers it is hard for me to argue with his coaching

Really? take out the numbers from the LB teams that he inherited and they are not so good. Plus how many NCAA victories doe he have? how many conference championships does he have? With the exception of this last year how do his recruiting classes rank with the rest of the 100 or so teams playing bball?

Simply put- we need a coach who is a winner, one who relates and communicates with both students and alums. One who will move us up in stature and possibly help get an invite to a better conference.
But then again 'tis only my opinion.
redpony

Postby mustangxc » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:37 am

mustangxc

Postby Topper » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:46 am

redpony wrote:
Topper wrote: if you look at his overall numbers it is hard for me to argue with his coaching

Really? take out the numbers from the LB teams that he inherited and they are not so good. Plus how many NCAA victories doe he have? how many conference championships does he have? With the exception of this last year how do his recruiting classes rank with the rest of the 100 or so teams playing bball?

Simply put- we need a coach who is a winner, one who relates and communicates with both students and alums. One who will move us up in stature and possibly help get an invite to a better conference.
But then again 'tis only my opinion.

I don't know. He won something like 18 in a row at home including wins against Houston and Memphis. I have seen worse coaching. You miss my point re the quality of our roster. How much of it is his fault? Granted he is responsible for bringing the kids to the table. But ultimately the success of the program will hinge on NIL bringing in guys who can start int he Big 12. The decision of who will coach will not belong to Hart but rather will be made by a small handful of big cigars. They could do better than Jank but they could do worse too.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby teddystang » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:49 am

RETIREMENT. HA.
teddystang

Postby mustangxc » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:52 am

Retirement is actually the best thing for both parties. It saves Jankovich's dignity and saves SMU from looking terrible.
mustangxc

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:56 am

That's one down.
Bergermeister

Postby TwoTimeGrad » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:07 am

teddystang wrote:RETIREMENT. HA.

HA HA HA HA.
TwoTimeGrad
Scout Team

Postby redpony » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:57 am

mustangxc wrote:Retirement is actually the best thing for both parties. It saves Jankovich's dignity and saves SMU from looking terrible.

You are absolutely correct.

I wish him the best for his future.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:56 pm

Topper wrote: The decision of who will coach will not belong to Hart but rather will be made by a small handful of big cigars. They could do better than Jank but they could do worse too.

No question about that but nobody can be happy with where the program is today. It's tough following a Hall of Fame coach but we have seen how truly special Moody Magic can be with a packed house and we should all be thankful that SMU has alumni/boosters willing to bankroll the quest for a return to what SMU basketball became during the Larry Brown years
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:59 pm

mustangxc wrote:Retirement is actually the best thing for both parties. It saves Jankovich's dignity and saves SMU from looking terrible.

Agree wholeheartedly. Jank is a good guy and his players love him. He had a tough task replacing what Larry Brown had built. Hopefully he is well positioned to really enjoy retirement. He is coming up on 63 and that's a nice time to retire if you are financially able to. If he has a burning desire to remain in coaching I'm sure he will find a way to do that. Expectations have been raised and we should all be thankful SMU has enough BMDs trying to return the program to the level it was during the Larry Brown years.
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball