PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cry me a river

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Cry me a river

Postby redpony » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:12 am

Also it is their own fault. Had they played well and not lost a couple of those 'pushover' games that jank scheduled they would have had no problem getting an invite. IMO they can only blame themselves.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:57 am

I understand the poor play in early season as the guys were learning to play together and coaches learning substitution patterns and it is both understandable but at the same time disappointing to see how a senior laden team reacted to not being selected for the NCAAs. I do think it is largely on Jank because most teams will take on the personality of their coach. As he whined about being jilted it is all too easy for his team to follow his lead. It's also disappointing SMU has lost so many basketball fans and that of course is largely on the reseat but it had to really hurt the seniors to play the final game of this season in front of so few fans
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:51 am

The paltry NIT attendance had to be the biggest driving force in making a change. That and the lack of huge recruiting prospects because the pieces were in place to run it back one more year at least. I'm still not sure what the right course of action would be right now. However, since we decided to make a change we need to go all in and land the best coach possible, pay premium assistant salaries, pay premium NIL deals, and fill up Moody. Otherwise, we made the biggest mistake since hiring/firing Tubbs.
mustangxc

Postby Hoss » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:35 pm

There is a reason teams recruit talented big guys. Jasey is out and Clark hobbles around on bad knees, so played half a season with a "center" generously listed at 6'5". Washington State had an obvious size advantage, and SMU didn't play well at the start. But to suggest that the players "allowed" the game to get away (voluntarily?) or weren't "committed" to getting to NYC and defending their home court strike me as a slap in the face to all of the players.
Hoss
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:50 pm

Hoss wrote:There is a reason teams recruit talented big guys. Jasey is out and Clark hobbles around on bad knees, so played half a season with a "center" generously listed at 6'5". Washington State had an obvious size advantage, and SMU didn't play well at the start. But to suggest that the players "allowed" the game to get away (voluntarily?) or weren't "committed" to getting to NYC and defending their home court strike me as a slap in the face to all of the players.

If you listened to Jank's post game comments he readily admitted that wasn't the same SMU team that fought so hard to finish 2nd place in the AAC. Pretty much attributed it to disappointment from not making the NCAAs. Again, I think we are all disappointed they didn't play through the NIT with a chip on their shoulders and at least make the trip to MSG and defend Moody and keep the home winning streak alive. I don't blame the players at all if they are disappointed in the lack of fan support because all year these guys played their guts out and it would have been nice to have at least 5-6,000 in Moody for those NIT games.
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball