PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cry me a river

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Cry me a river

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:17 am

DMN Monday 11C - Embarrassing
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Cry me a river

Postby Arkpony » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:36 am

For those of us out of state..?
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby GHammond » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:03 am

Wait for it.....subscribers only link.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby BUS » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:32 am

Not a member but let me guess:
We still are hurt being passed over by ncaa board. It is hard to get up when you have been disrespected. WS is a really good team and played over the top this game.

We tried hard and woke up, but you know it's difficult to be sharp after being rejected.

Just a guess.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:14 pm

“Our team has not come all the way back since the news on Sunday,” Jankovich said on SMU’s post-game radio show. “I don’t say that as an excuse — there are no excuses in sports. You can’t have excuses. I’m just telling you the facts. I saw it in them. ... Our team is wounded. Maybe it’s hard to understand that. But, when you start in June and you try to become a team like these guys did and you fight through more adversity in a season than I’ve ever seen ... just the journey that you go on for months and months and months and to still be left out, none of them can come to grips with how we can possibly be left out of the NCAA Tournament.

“The team that took the floor the last two games was not the team that took the floor the entire year. That was a team that was wounded.”

Assuming this is what you're talking about...
Mustangs35SMU

Postby mustangxc » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:33 pm

Is he talking about the 2016-17 team that had 6 players in the rotation and 7 total? The 2017-18 team that lost Shake and Jarrey to season ending injuries? The 2018-19 team that was missing Jarrey for much of the season and did not ever fully recover plus the sanctions plus whatever else you want to say? The 2019-20 team that had the season end prematurely due to COVID-19 like every other team in the country? The 2020-21 team that had to deal with several pauses due to COVID-19? What adversity is he talking about because it's either one excuse after another or he really seems to have a dark cloud following him in which case SMU needs to distance itself from him as much as possible.
mustangxc

Postby BUS » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:00 pm

Not knowing what the statement was.... I think I nailed it.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Cry me a river

Postby geezerdonk » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:08 pm

Pathetic, shameful, disgusting, cowardly. Anything to avoid responsibility. That statement alone should get him fired.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:52 pm

We are SMU.

“It’s just a flesh wound.”

https://youtu.be/UijhbHvxWrA
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:53 pm

Pretty obvious from KD's post game comments that our guys were really upset (justifiably so) that 4 MWC schools got invited to the NCAAs and only 2 AAC teams. I fully understand that teams get deflated when what you worked so hard for all season gets denied, but sure wish they had reacted differently and come into the NIT with a chip on their shoulders. That's on both the coaching staff and reflects on the character of the team. Year after year, the winner of the NIT proves they were not only the "best of the rest" but probably deserved a bid to the NCAA Tournament.
Charleston Pony

Postby crazy horse » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:41 pm

Most competitive folks would take that setback and then say,

"Just watch, we'll prove them wrong on the court!"

And then go and win the NIT.

When does football start?
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby ponyswim » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:04 pm

I think a decent amount of the players realized that their not making the NCAA tournament both cost them a "dream", but that it also cost the coaches they cared about their jobs. For KD and probably Band, it costs Jank his job, for the Weathers brothers it cost Jank and Cooper their jobs. Certainly different feelings from different guys. I don't pretend to know all the inner workings of the team. In any case it is not shocking to me that as a group they were not totally ready to play. No excuses for anyone, but that is the reality of coaching 18, 19, 20 - 23 year olds.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby GHammond » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:14 am

For those of us who have been around here dealing with BPS most of our lives, this is nothing new. Remember the 1983 Sun Bowl, when a butt hurt SMU squad didnt even bring their jock straps to El Paso?!? My god, the thought of playing an 8-4 Alabama team on national TV, who had W’s over LSU, Ole [deleted], and at one point was ranked #3...you don’t think they were PO’d as well? Bama 28 Strapless SMU 7.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:33 am

If they really cared about the coaches they shouldn't have let it get so out of hand in the first half. They should have committed to getting to MSG at the very least and protecting Moody.
mustangxc

Postby GHammond » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:03 am

Right, XC...great point. But, be careful with that critical thinking here on PonyFans.
GHammond
Varsity

Next

Return to Basketball