PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rob Lanier = Mike Cavan 2.0

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Rob Lanier = Mike Cavan 2.0

Postby GHammond » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:21 am

So I guess the question is, who will be our Phil Bennett?
GHammond
Varsity

Re: Rob Lanier = Mike Cavan 2.0

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:54 am

Exactly! We are the laughingstock of the conference.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DC-Pony » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:17 am

I’m very surprised that Coach Lanier is allegedly our prime candidate. Very surprised.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby tristatecoog » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:32 am

GHammond wrote:So I guess the question is, who will be our Phil Bennett?

Bennett was a top defensive coordinator. Seems like hiring Mark Adams at TT (last year) would’ve been like a Bennett hire. Not sure what great defensive coaches are available now. Hodge at UNT isn’t in that national consideration.

Lanier was a rather hot prospect in 2001 when he hired at Siena from UT. Lanier is known as a strong recruiter, more so than his Georgia State predecessor, Ron Hunter, who’s got a better head coaching record.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:28 am

I am not super excited about the hire, but Mike Cavan 2.,0 is taking this way too far.

The guy was the top assistant for Tennessee a couple of years ago, and helped to build that program with Rick Barnes. If you take him from Tennessee, everyone would be saying "he got his first head coach gig too early at Sienna, but he was a lead recruiter at Texas, Florida, and Tennessee, and is now the top assistant at Tennessee. He is in a bigger spot on the Tennessee staff than Jank ever was under Self. I like the potential of this hire."

His numbers at Georgia State don't blow you away, especially compared to his predecessor, But if you look deeper, he completely changed the style of play to build a team based more on defense, his conference record was about the same as Hunter, and the reason his non-conference record wasn't as good is because he played a much stronger schedule. And his team this year would have had a much better record without the covid pauses and injuries.

Again, I'm not blown away by this hire, but the Mike Cavan comparison is not a good one.
JasonB

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:54 pm

DC-Pony wrote:I’m very surprised that Coach Lanier is allegedly our prime candidate. Very surprised.

Yank this season: 24 Wins - 9 Losses
Lanier this season: 18 Wins 11 Losses

Yank has a better all-time head coach winning percentage.

Ok I guess Yank had to go, but I would have expected us to do better than Lanier.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:11 pm

I am shocked that we are thinking of coaches like Lanier or Golden. Do we no longer want to return to being a top bball school? or is the admin (rgt and lil rickey) happy to drop down to a sunbelt quality program.
redpony

Postby tristatecoog » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:00 pm

Larry Brown was fired a few month’s earlier from Charlotte. Did SMU pay up quite a bit to land him plus Jank and Maligi? Fill Moody which was under construction?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Arkpony » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:05 pm

Hope for the best with SMU and expect the worst
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Pony81 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:04 pm

I think Rob Lanier will do a great job….I too was thrown out of my seats and haven’t had a season ticket since…but after watching his press conference I may go buy a season ticket.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Return to Basketball