PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Kendric

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Kendric

Postby Dukie » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:13 pm

mustangxc wrote:We are both mediocre in football. Until we win big (at least a conference championship and NY6 game), does it really matter?

Nope, it doesn't matter until then. And it only matters then if we have big numbers of fans show up for those games, and great TV ratings as well.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby PonyPride » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:09 pm

Memphis it is
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DC-Pony » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:13 pm

I know this has been reported. But the actual choice is puzzling.

My guess is his relationship with Jank, and Jank telling him that no one coaches point guards better than Larry (which is true if those words were spoken) is what prompted Kendric to go to Memphis. It can’t be to go deep in the tourney (everyone departing and sanctions looming), play with anyone of consequence (because best players have entered portal or announced for draft), or to avoid a recently ignited dumpster fire, because then you would not go to Memphis this off-season.
Last edited by DC-Pony on Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:13 pm

PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby Horseshoe » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:17 pm

DC-Pony wrote:I know this has been reported. But the actual choice is puzzling.

It can’t be to go deep in the tourney (everyone departing and sanctions looming) ...

Exactly what I thought. Weird choice with the threat of real sanctions.
Someone already called Davis Hardaway's best recruiting job.
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:42 pm

Horseshoe wrote:
DC-Pony wrote:I know this has been reported. But the actual choice is puzzling.

It can’t be to go deep in the tourney (everyone departing and sanctions looming) ...

Exactly what I thought. Weird choice with the threat of real sanctions.
Someone already called Davis Hardaway's best recruiting job.

I don't think sanctions would happen this year the way the ncaa moves.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby dalpony » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:56 am

The impending KD transfer to Memphis was purely NIL money related - he will receive an astronomical (to me) amount for his one year of service
dalpony
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:19 am

dalpony wrote:The impending KD transfer to Memphis was purely NIL money related - he will receive an astronomical (to me) amount for his one year of service

If that's the case, then good for him and his family. I just want Lanier to find strong defensive guards with length that will help Zhuric make Kendric's return to Moody miserable
Charleston Pony

Postby DC-Pony » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:30 pm

dalpony wrote:The impending KD transfer to Memphis was purely NIL money related - he will receive an astronomical (to me) amount for his one year of service

I hope college basketball continues to be an appealing enterprise. But that feels very uncertain to me.

The amount of player movement between teams (some players playing for 4 different colleges!), players switching to rival schools without hesitation, and the associated lacking level of competition and allegiance definitely erodes the passion of college sports.

Arguably the three most accomplished coaches in all of college basketball - Roy Wilkins, Coach K, and Jay Wright - all retired within the past 12 months. Each mentioned a litany of reasons. Each included NIL and the prolific transferring among the reasons.

I have no ill will toward college players receiving compensation. And I worry the shifting landscape of college athletics may position its best days in the rear view mirror.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby Terry Webster » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:30 am

Did anyone see about the player who is heading to Miami? 400K a year for 2 years plus a new car. The nil thing is going to do more damage to college athletics than good.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:20 am

DC-Pony wrote:I hope college basketball continues to be an appealing enterprise. But that feels very uncertain to me.

The amount of player movement between teams (some players playing for 4 different colleges!), players switching to rival schools without hesitation, and the associated lacking level of competition and allegiance definitely erodes the passion of college sports.

Arguably the three most accomplished coaches in all of college basketball - Roy Wilkins, Coach K, and Jay Wright - all retired within the past 12 months. Each mentioned a litany of reasons. Each included NIL and the prolific transferring among the reasons.

I have no ill will toward college players receiving compensation. And I worry the shifting landscape of college athletics may position its best days in the rear view mirror.

Well stated, DC, and i agree with you. But reality is colleges having been paying players since WW2 with little repercussions, unless of course you are a school like SMU, so my sympathies towards the decline of the ‘college experience’ is definitely tempered.

I don’t see NIL’s going away, not with all this absurd money flying around. I suspect NIL’s are the best way to get the players in on the action. And yes, it will become even more semi-pro.

Schools in urban economic hubs will benefit the most, schools like Stanford, USC / UCLA, Miami and hopefully SMU. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Harvard fielded a Top 10 BB team or if Northwestern rises in BB prominence.

SMU just needs to be smart in all this.

Think of it in these terms, the state of NY just committed $600M to help build the Buffalo Bills a new stadium. These NFL teams have that much of an economic impact on their cities. It benefits the city of Dallas to have a semi-pro team in THEIR city, not a AAC team competing against ECU.

Dabo says there should be a 40-50 super conference. The President of SMU & it’s AD along with the Mayor of Dallas should make it a priority to have SMU as one of those schools. Wishful thinking, maybe, but they should try.

Dallas would not support SMU vs Rice, or ECU, or NTSU or UAB.

Dallas would support SMU vs UT, Georgia, Ohio St or USC.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Topper » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:39 pm

DC-Pony wrote:

I hope college basketball continues to be an appealing enterprise. But that feels very uncertain to me.

Sonny Dykes set the tone for mercenary behavior. Jump to your oldest rival for a few extra dollars. Why not?
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:40 pm

The guy from Memphis who lost his job to Kendrick just transferred to Cinci. It is a strange world.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball