PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mark Phillips Is The Son Of Gene Phillips

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Mark Phillips Is The Son Of Gene Phillips

Postby 50's PONY » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:58 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Fri, Mar. 05, 2004

UIL BOYS BASKETBALL REGIONAL TOURNAMENTS
For Azle, a trip to the moon once seemed more likely than a trip to regionals, but that was then ...This is now
By David Sessions
Special to the Star-Telegram

SPECIAL TO THE STAR-TELEGRAM/JESSICA KOURKOUNIS
Azle and Hornets starters, from left, Clarke Hale, Shane South, Ty Eagle, Nick Peppers and Mark Phillips are two victories away from the state tournament.

SPECIAL TO THE STAR-TELEGRAM/RICHARD W. RODRIGUEZ
Coach Robert Hale cut down a piece of the net after Azle beat Dunbar, and he's hoping for a similar celebration this weekend.

Four years ago, five freshman basketball players from Azle watched the Hornets' varsity squad lose all 10 district games, wondering whether they, too, were destined to a losing fate when they inherited the team.

It turns out they had nothing to worry about. Now Ty Eagle, Addison Haas, Nick Peppers, Mark Phillips and Shane South are part of a 30-6 team that has advanced farther in the playoffs than any team in school history, a team that upset perennial power Dunbar in the area round. They'll take on Amarillo Palo Duro (34-1), an athletic group seasoned with postseason experience, in the Class 4A RegionI semifinals at 7:30 tonight.

Coach Robert Hale took over Azle after the Hornets went 8-21 in 2000-01, bringing his standout son, Clarke, with him, and things changed quickly. The Hornets reached the playoffs in Hale's first season despite a 12-17 record, then narrowly missed the postseason last year with a 20-10 mark.

"The main thing is that we just believe," Eagle said. "Coach Hale and his staff came in here and just made us believe ... we can make anything happen. He's changed everything since he's been here."

Hale, 59, has a coaching résumé that reads like a road map, with stops at Lewisville, Burleson, Everman, Pampa and Weatherford before settling in Azle. It wasn't the first time he assumed control of a lackluster team.

"That was nothing new for me," Hale said. "Everywhere I've gone, the program's been down. But that leaves another direction to go."

The high point has been the Hornets' 66-63 overtime shocker against Dunbar, the defending Class 4A state champion. A victory over Crowley on Tuesday night propelled Azle to the 4A Region I tournament in San Angelo, where another Goliath will stand in the Hornets' way.

Palo Duro defeated Azle 80-69 on Dec. 6, despite Clarke Hale's 38-point performance. It was Azle's first loss of the season.

"They've got all the ingredients," Robert Hale said of Palo Duro. "They've got size, they've got speed, they've got shooters, they've got quickness. They can bang, they can waltz, they can do it all. And they can run like deer. They're very talented and highly successful."

Azle didn't have Haas when it lost to Palo Duro the first time. Haas was injured in an early season football game against Denton Ryan, breaking his leg and tearing ligaments and tendons, but his recovery progressed quickly and he rejoined the team early in district play.

"I couldn't stand not playing," Haas said. "I was doing about two hours of rehab every day at school and then going home and doing more by myself."

On Wednesday, Haas and his teammates heard Hale tell them they might watch Hoosiers in the hotel room before the game. The Hornets, it seems, feel a little like the Hickory Huskers, and Robert Hale can't help but channel Norman Dale, Gene Hackman's character in the movie.

"Sometimes, like he said in the movie, I wonder if we belong here," Hale said. "And so far, we do."

Class 4A Region I tournament

Today-Saturday, Junell Center, Angelo State University, San Angelo

SEMIFINALS

Lubbock Estacado (31-4) vs. Richland (25-9), 6 p.m.

Amarillo Palo Duro (34-1) vs. Azle (30-6), 7:30 p.m., KSQX/89.1 FM

FINAL

2 p.m., Saturday

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2004 Star Telegram and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.dfw.com
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:08 pm

Azle shocked everyone against Dunbar. I've never seen them play but they must have something to beat Dunbar.

I've seen Richland play and they are surprising good. They have a short 2 guard that can shoot lights out from the 3 and they have two other guards who are very quick and athletic. Their coach used to be the head coach at Lincoln and he has turned them into a very solid program. Dont be surprised if both FW area schools advance in those games.
LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball