PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU prime

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU prime

Postby Arkpony » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:23 pm

I just finished watching SMU destroy Michigan in basketball in 2015 in Dallas. The crowd was awesome standing room only and we won by 24 points. The Michigan coach said after the game no team in America could have beaten SMU that night. How DID the SMU administration screw that up??!!! I am so saddened by the whole mess.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU prime

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:23 am

That game was a masterpiece and nationally televised as I recall. Oh what could have been...
Charleston Pony

Postby shadowman » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:15 am

Yes,

what could have been..

However, don't blame SMU administration, blame Larry Brown for lying directly to the face of NCAA investigators after pulling the shady shenanigans he is known for. Blame Larry Brown for strapping us with program killing sanctions. Blame Larry Brown for then leaving and blaming it on SMU for giving him a low ball offer, when the real reason he left was that he knew it would be impossible to win under those sanctions and he didn't want to be left holding the bag when it fell apart.

The program was killed and sent back to step one because of the sanctions Larry Brown caused, not because Larry Brown left.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:59 am

shadowman- totally disagree.

First, the person who turned us in should have been immediately terminated. Also, our admin. has a habit of turning their backs on our coaches. LB should have been provided substantial legal council and we should have fought the sanctions. But then again, the ncaa knows our admin is spinless and will never stand up to them.
IMO LB left because he was offered a contract that was designed to be totally insulting to him. The admin and lil rickey knew how he would react and planned to drive him off but did not want to upset the fan base by firing him hence the insulting contract.
redpony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:12 pm

It was posted on this board that Keith Frazier met with the NCAA without legal counsel. His ‘interview’ is what got the investigation rolling.

That isn’t on Larry Brown, that’s completely on our AD.
SoCal_Pony

Postby shadowman » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:17 pm

I agree with the previous comments to an extent, but I still stand by my view, overall.

Our sanctions were harsh because Larry Brown and SMU had a track record of infractions and previous sanctions. The whole point of sanctions is to modify behavior and repeat offenders are dealt with more harshly. We knew this was a risk, giving Larry's and SMU's previous track record.

We took a chance on Larry and he followed his same old playbook, he cut corners to achieve fast success, he got himself and the program penalized, and then he left, leaving SMU to try and mitigate the mess he caused. He has done the same thing pretty much everywhere he has been. This is main reason he has never stuck at any of his coaching jobs for very long. Can we really be surprised the same thing happened here, many predicted it the day he was hired.

What were we supposed to do, give him a raise for letting this mess happen on his watch? We should have fired him instead of tendering an extension. He would have left no matter what the offer was because he didn't want to have deal with the mess he caused. SMU just gave him a convenient excuse.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTime » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:27 am

shadowman wrote:I agree with the previous comments to an extent, but I still stand by my view, overall.

Our sanctions were harsh because Larry Brown and SMU had a track record of infractions and previous sanctions. The whole point of sanctions is to modify behavior and repeat offenders are dealt with more harshly. We knew this was a risk, giving Larry's and SMU's previous track record.

We took a chance on Larry and he followed his same old playbook, he cut corners to achieve fast success, he got himself and the program penalized, and then he left, leaving SMU to try and mitigate the mess he caused. He has done the same thing pretty much everywhere he has been. This is main reason he has never stuck at any of his coaching jobs for very long. Can we really be surprised the same thing happened here, many predicted it the day he was hired.

What were we supposed to do, give him a raise for letting this mess happen on his watch? We should have fired him instead of tendering an extension. He would have left no matter what the offer was because he didn't want to have deal with the mess he caused. SMU just gave him a convenient excuse.

Louisville, Syracuse, UNC, and on and on and on. The school needs to fight back to have a chance.
SMU did not - AT ALL. SMU's sanctions for a kid taking a test in HS were harsher than the school that created an entire program to work around the NCAA's GPA requirements for eligibility (UNC) which impacted hundreds if not thousands of student athletes at that school.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:02 pm

UNC, Louisville, Syracuse and others are made. We're not. Their coaches are "saints", Larry Brown was not. If we were caught violating any rule, we were gonna get body slammed by the NCAA to show everyone how tough it is on violators.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby ponyboy » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:30 pm

We self body slammed. Again.
ponyboy

Return to Basketball