PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Any guesses

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Any guesses

Postby mustangxc » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:55 pm

I didn’t like the way the Dayton game ended and have pretty low expectations for this team anyway. I don’t see this staff as an upgrade to Jankovich. At least with Jankovich you could count on an NIT appearance.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:49 pm

mustangxc wrote:I didn’t like the way the Dayton game ended and have pretty low expectations for this team anyway. I don’t see this staff as an upgrade to Jankovich. At least with Jankovich you could count on an NIT appearance.

I was not confident Jank was going to be able to replace the Weathers brothers who were such a big part of last year's team. K.D. and Band might have stayed for him though
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:10 am

this team will be lucky to win 10-12 games this year.
redpony

Postby mustangxc » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:53 pm

I no longer think we get double digit wins this season. 8-23 (2-14) is my expectation. Doherty put a better product on the floor than this.
mustangxc

Postby PonyEnergy » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:19 am

but the battered pony question of the day is "do we win the AAC tourney?!" haha
PonyEnergy
Scout Team

Postby PonyTime » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:26 pm

mustangxc wrote:I no longer think we get double digit wins this season. 8-23 (2-14) is my expectation. Doherty put a better product on the floor than this.

I sure hope you are exaggerating - those Doh teams were the lowest I have seen the program in my lifetime and I started watching SMU BBall in the late 80s.

If that is accurate then things must have hit rock bottom this year and they should have just retained Jank and his staff.

We will face the coach that they should have hired when SMU faces Pitino in a few weeks.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:31 pm

No hyperbole on my part. I am hopeful that this is rock bottom and that this staff will build a better team over the years. However, this year will probably be the worst season for SMU basketball I've ever been a part of.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:18 am

mustangxc wrote:No hyperbole on my part. I am hopeful that this is rock bottom and that this staff will build a better team over the years. However, this year will probably be the worst season for SMU basketball I've ever been a part of.

You apparently weren't around for the early Dave Bliss years when SMU went 7-20 and 6-21 or the John Shumate years when his tenure ended with 6 & 7 win seasons and Dement came in after him and won only 8 games in his 1st year. That Shumate/Dement 3 year run was the low point for me but SMU has a long history of some pretty miserable basketball seasons. And yet...here we are still following the program. Gluttons for punishment I suppose.
Charleston Pony

Postby Arkpony » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:41 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
mustangxc wrote:No hyperbole on my part. I am hopeful that this is rock bottom and that this staff will build a better team over the years. However, this year will probably be the worst season for SMU basketball I've ever been a part of.

You apparently weren't around for the early Dave Bliss years when SMU went 7-20 and 6-21 or the John Shumate years when his tenure ended with 6 & 7 win seasons and Dement came in after him and won only 8 games in his 1st year. That Shumate/Dement 3 year run was the low point for me but SMU has a long history of some pretty miserable basketball seasons. And yet...here we are still following the program. Gluttons for punishment I suppose.

And we bring in Larry Brown who recruits great players and instill in SMU basketball untold enthusiasm and fun, and what do they do? The let him go over a contract dispute and run off many loyal supporters. Who says this administration doesn’t know how to build a good athletic program?
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby PonyTime » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:41 am

Charleston Pony wrote:

I was definitely around for Schumate. That last season that you mention had the following on the schedule: Texas (twice), Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas (top 5), Arkansas (Top 3), USC, Mizzou, and the rest of the SWC schedule. Now we play the likes of Prarie View A&M, Lamar, A&M Commerce, USF, etc, etc. Hard to compare W-L.

I suspect an in their prime Troy Matthwes, Jemeil Rich, Matt Timme, Jay Poerner, Erion Harris lineup would run the current team out of the gym.

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:25 pm

PonyTime wrote:I was definitely around for Schumate. That last season that you mention had the following on the schedule: Texas (twice), Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas (top 5), Arkansas (Top 3), USC, Mizzou, and the rest of the SWC schedule. Now we play the likes of Prarie View A&M, Lamar, A&M Commerce, USF, etc, etc. Hard to compare W-L.

I suspect an in their prime Troy Matthwes, Jemeil Rich, Matt Timme, Jay Poerner, Erion Harris lineup would run the current team out of the gym.

And so you can remember one of Shumate's teams winning the SWC "despite of his coaching". I was in a half empty Moody when we beat Texas to pretty much clinch that championship and I seem to remember that was the vibe at that time. I think the team tanked the next 2 years before SMU let Shumate go.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyTime » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:47 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
PonyTime wrote:I was definitely around for Schumate. That last season that you mention had the following on the schedule: Texas (twice), Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas (top 5), Arkansas (Top 3), USC, Mizzou, and the rest of the SWC schedule. Now we play the likes of Prarie View A&M, Lamar, A&M Commerce, USF, etc, etc. Hard to compare W-L.

And so you can remember one of Shumate's teams winning the SWC "despite of his coaching". I was in a half empty Moody when we beat Texas to pretty much clinch that championship and I seem to remember that was the vibe at that time. I think the team tanked the next 2 years before SMU let Shumate go.

It was nice beating Texas and Penders Jr. for the title. We did have a packed house for a game against Rice that year. Yes - Rice! Thank you Chad Allen.

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Arkpony » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:53 pm

I may be the only one on here who was present at SMU during the Jim Krebs days when SMU was one of the best teams in the nation having their national titles only thwarted by first Bill Russell and then Wilt Chamberlain.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:46 pm

Arkpony wrote:I may be the only one on here who was present at SMU during the Jim Krebs days when SMU was one of the best teams in the nation having their national titles only thwarted by first Bill Russell and then Wilt Chamberlain.

I started following SMU shortly after our family moved to Dallas in 1959 so I remember most of the Doc Hayes era but missed out on those Krebs teams and Dandy Don but we were "original" Dallas Cowboys fans...before Meredith replaced little Eddie LeBaron
Charleston Pony

Postby Arkpony » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:09 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Arkpony wrote:I may be the only one on here who was present at SMU during the Jim Krebs days when SMU was one of the best teams in the nation having their national titles only thwarted by first Bill Russell and then Wilt Chamberlain.

I started following SMU shortly after our family moved to Dallas in 1959 so I remember most of the Doc Hayes era but missed out on those Krebs teams and Dandy Don but we were "original" Dallas Cowboys fans...before Meredith replaced little Eddie LeBaron

I double dated with Dandy Don and his future wife Lynn Shamburger. That had to be around 1956 or so. A really fun, nice guy, not to mention a terrific football player.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball