PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MBB @ Texas A&M

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: MBB @ Texas A&M

Postby Arkpony » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:58 pm

Can we win 10 games?
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:03 pm

Meanwhile over at Graceland, Davis is leading all shooters and averaging 19.5 points per game.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby Arkpony » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:09 pm

I don’t think many care any more.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:18 pm

New team. New coach. Even Larry had a loosing record his first year. Set expectation to a wash this year and give Lanier a pass. Otherwise, you’re likely in for a very sad season.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:12 pm

At least we aren't Texas A&M. They lead sad, pathetic lives. They are on the SMU basketball twitter account talking smack about having beat us. Guess what? Beating SMU this season is not an accomplishment. SMU will be lucky to win 10 games so if you celebrate a win over us you must be pretty bad yourself. If I was a fan of any team playing SMU this season I'd be irate if my team lost to SMU and not excited at all about beating SMU. That is what this program has devolved to.
mustangxc

Postby mtrout » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:15 pm

HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:New team. New coach. Even Larry had a loosing record his first year. Set expectation to a wash this year and give Lanier a pass. Otherwise, you’re likely in for a very sad season.

Going to SMU LB games at Curtis Culwell Center in Garland was one of my fondest memories of smu bb because you knew it was about to be on.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Screck » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:18 pm

Agree with HCYB but damn it is gonna be a long season. Also please get a true PG bc we are Turnover U!
Screck
Scout Team

Postby crazy horse » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:08 am

This team is painful to watch. It seems hitting free throws is about all we can do. I've coached 8th graders who were more proficient 3' from the goal. Why can't we make a basket in the paint? How can we not bring the ball up without throwing it away or dribbling into a double-team. We have some talent on the team, but nobody seems to want to be the guy. Kudos to Phelps for showing some fight.

Sorry, its just so frustrating to watch. A&M is not that good.

I get it - growing pains. Thank God for football going bowling!
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:25 am

Screck wrote:Agree with HCYB but damn it is gonna be a long season. Also please get a true PG bc we are Turnover U!

We tried to recruit Wade Taylor who had 9 assists vs 0 turnovers whereas our PG had 1 assist and 7 turnovers. As a team our guys had 10 assists (albeit on only 19 made FGs) vs 19 turnovers. Coach Lanier better find some ball handlers for next year. Houston will run our guys out of the gym in the 1st 10 minutes!
Last edited by Charleston Pony on Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charleston Pony

Postby GHammond » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:44 am

Quick observation on Coach Lanier, as I sat down low, behind the bench, for the Evansville game. Kind of a negative vibe yeller / screamer, not constructive, but more, I’m in charge, I’m the man, You guys dont know anything...plus, the coaches were dressed like they were on their way to a bachelor party, sweats, pullovers, all different, kind of ragtag deal, and all of the teams warm ups were just thrown on the floor...seemed unorganized to me. I will give this guy a chance, but not really that impressed thus far.....he’s certainly no Larry, or even Jank. #GeorgiaState
GHammond
Varsity

Postby redpony » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:43 am

IMO- this is what you get when the admin does not care about sports. We hired a second level coach because RGT and lil rickey didn't want a big name, top level hire that would attract attention to our program.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:03 pm

GHammond wrote:Quick observation on Coach Lanier, as I sat down low, behind the bench, for the Evansville game. Kind of a negative vibe yeller / screamer, not constructive, but more, I’m in charge, I’m the man, You guys dont know anything...plus, the coaches were dressed like they were on their way to a bachelor party, sweats, pullovers, all different, kind of ragtag deal, and all of the teams warm ups were just thrown on the floor...seemed unorganized to me. I will give this guy a chance, but not really that impressed thus far.....he’s certainly no Larry, or even Jank. #GeorgiaState

Shades of Matt Doherty? Looks to me like this team and program is worse off than it was under Jank. We ran off K.D. & Bandoumel with the coaching change. Bring those guys back along with Phelps, Todorovic and if Williamson comes back home via the portal, that's a pretty solid group with just big men needed. Surely Jank could have done as well or better than Lanier in terms of the bigs he was able to bring in via the portal. Also might have retained the 2 H.S. recruits. Anamekwe might become a player at this level. I'm writing this year off and expecting it to be as bad as the early Bliss/late Shumate years when those teams won 6-7 games. Lanier better have a great recruiting class and turn this thing around in year two or he might prove to have been one of the worst bball hires in years.
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:32 pm

We were beaten really soundly in the paint the entire game on both sides of the court. If Foster was ready - a rim protector inside and a force on the offensive end - the game and this team look totally different. We didn't even try to feed it inside for the majority of the game.

You need three guys who can score consistently. We have one. Nutall didn't show up last night, which was disappointing. Williamson is a good athlete and defensive stopper. Todo, Smith, Nutall... these are all good complimentary pieces

Even if we get Foster back, and it is Phelps-Nutall-Todo-Williams-Foster, we are still missing one more scorer. Someone has to take the pressure off of Phelps. Nutall just isn't going to do that on a consistent basis against good competition. He had the opportunity to be that guy in this game, and he avoided the ball in the first half and didn't take an open jumper on the corner of the key.

Williamson last night showed his activity and athleticism way more last night than other games, which is a great sign. He was unlucky not to score on a couple of those plays. He might be coming around.
JasonB

Postby ponyboy » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:46 pm

We were on the road at an SEC team who had been ranked until they laid a couple of eggs at a tourney. It was a pro-Aggie referee crew who allowed us to be rough-handled while blowing the whistle on the other end of the court. And, yes, Lanier gets the standard pass his first season. Chill.

Edit: Not criticizing you, Jason. and totally agreed that Nutall, for whatever reason, may no longer be a guy we can rely on to contribute in a materially positive manner. He looks scared.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:50 pm

Until we sign a pair of very solid top 150 players there is absolutely nothing to look forward to with regard to this program. We are the walking dead. I know Jankovich wasn't the man to lead us to perennial runs in the NCAA tournament, but given our long history of wandering in the desert, it sure was better than most of our historical seasons and light years ahead of where we are now and for the foreseeable future. An NIT run would be pretty awesome right about now.

Also, seeing Tulane with a chance to play in the Cotton Bowl this season and a very good basketball team it looks like they have the better AD if not athletic program at this point. That makes this debacle that much more difficult to swallow.
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball