PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

GAME THREAD: MBB vs. Tulsa in AAC opener

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: GAME THREAD: MBB vs. Tulsa in AAC opener

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:47 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
PonyPride wrote:FINAL

SMU 92, Tulsa 67

SMU improves to 6-8 overall, 1-0 in AAC. Tulsa falls to 4-8, 0-2

Up next: Thursday at Houston on ESPN2

Reality check Thursday to see how much this SMU team has improved

We will be lucky if we lose by less than 40 against Houston.

mtrout wrote:I don’t understand why so many were down on this team. I’ll say it again that they’ll finish same or higher in the AAC than the football team.

Tulsa is by far the worst team in the conference. This game proves nothing. If this team wins 10+ games consider that a successful season at this point.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:58 pm

mtrout wrote:I don’t understand why so many were down on this team. I’ll say it again that they’ll finish same or higher in the AAC than the football team.

I was optimistic that they would get things rolling into conference, but I didn't expect this much of a turnaround.

Keep in mind, however, that Tulsa is terrible. They were not able to take advantage of Odigie inside when we were on defense. I suspect that we will get abused inside by Houston on the defensive end and on the offensive glass. Offensively, Houston won't need to double us inside, which Tulsa did and left people wide open for shots. They are the first team all year who felt the need to double our bigs. We also won't be able to dribble penetrate with every player like we did against Tulsa.

If we are able to play Houston close, that will be VERY impressive, but I don't expect it, especially if Phelps is out. Houston beat Tulsa AT Tulsa by 49. The key to the rest of the season is if we can recover mentally and play tough @UCF. That will indicate how much we have grown as a team. Houston is going to dominate the league, the question is whether or not we can compete for 2-4.
JasonB

Postby shadowman » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:17 am

Any word on the Phelps injury? I have not seen anything, sure hope he can play against Houston. From the stands it looked like he was in obvious pain, like a strained abdominal muscle or bruised ribs. Those can take a while to get over.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPride » Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:24 pm

Lanier addressed it a little after the game:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=91954

He said it was something Phelps had done in practice, so the team was aware of it and the fact that he might or might not have been able to play.

He said he thinks Todorovic could be ready Thursday at Houston, but did not offer a timeline for Phelps.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Previous

Return to Basketball