PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Information re: Xavier Foster?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Information re: Xavier Foster?

Postby DC-Pony » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:33 pm

Does anyone have insight (versus speculation) on why we’re not seeing more of Xavier Foster on the court?

13 games into the season and he’s averaging 3 mins per game, including many DNPs.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Re: Information re: Xavier Foster?

Postby ponyboy » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:50 pm

Easing him into it, a la Camar Wheaton.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyswim » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:00 pm

I have no inside information, but I am at all the home games. The coaches clearly do not think he is ready to play and help the team. I think it is that simple. When they think he is ready - he will play.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:22 pm

He committed to Lanier in the spring but didn’t play in two years at Iowa State? Native Iowan.

Camar spent one year at Bama but is from Garland.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby DC-Pony » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:48 am

ponyswim wrote:I have no inside information, but I am at all the home games. The coaches clearly do not think he is ready to play and help the team. I think it is that simple. When they think he is ready - he will play.

I certainly don’t know that you’re wrong. And I’ve heard Coach Lanier quoted following the first one or two games of the season saying this. But now that we’re 13 games into the season and our post play is virtually nonexistent, the situation grows curiouser. I’d get this thinking if we had post players that were consistently productive, but that’s not what we’ve got in our games at the moment.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:04 pm

His demeanor isn't of someone who is frustrated. I think everyone is on the same page with how he is being brought back.
JasonB

Postby PonyPride » Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:17 pm

Jason is right about Foster's demeanor. I watched that specifically yesterday. SMU got up by as much as 24 (I think) in the second half, in a home conference game, making it seem like a prime opportunity for some minutes for the young 7-footer who Lanier has praised endlessly. We have seen glimpses of his talent in his limited minutes, his athleticism is obvious, and there are reports of him sometimes dominating practices.

All of that adds up to a scenario in which frustration would be understandable, whether justified or not. But right up until he got in the game, Foster was smiling, engaged with his teammates and coaches on the bench, among the first to bounce up out of his seat to celebrate his teammates' accomplishments, etc. He showed no evidence of pouting, being upset, etc. From the outside looking in, he seems to be on the same page with the coaches as far as how they are bringing him along.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby DC-Pony » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:39 pm

Thanks, JB and PP. I agree that his body language is highly relevant. Thanks for sharing that.

I’ll trust they’ve got a good plan for him coming along. And I will continue to have my interest piqued by a 7-footer that can move and shoot from outside.

Wish you all a great 2023.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:07 pm

Happy 2023!
ponyboy

Return to Basketball