PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UCF

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UCF

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:00 pm

I think this is all showing that guys that come from lower level programs might put up numbers on teams on a lower level with limited talent, but at this level they are just guys - Nutall, Wright, Odigie, Njie, even Michael Williams last year. They flash at times, but while they were stars at a lower level, they are just pieces of the puzzle here. Our transfers need to come from bigger programs not smaller.

Odigie is not good defensively. His positioning is awful, and we give up a ton of offensive rebounds when he plays a lot.

I get that we were in a bad situation with no Phelps (he clearly shouldn't have played against Houston), but the switch to go big was a mistake. Smith-Nutall-Williamson-Hylton-Odigie, there is nobody to score on offense. The offense had stepped forward because we had Smith and 0 at PG with two wing players attacking, Williamson at the 4 and the Hylton and Odigie splitting time at the 5. The 2 and 3 guards moving off of the ball is what generated the openings to shoot against Tulsa. Today, the team was really static. Just stick in 5 for Phelps and keep the same formation/rotation.

Anyway, with Nutall and Phelps and Williamson, we have three players that when they have significant athletic advantages, they can score and we will look fiine. When they go against players that have length that prevents them from getting to the basket, we just don't have enough shooters.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HorsePower » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:37 am

Williamson very well might be the closest thing to a ball handler on the team. Considering his shooting, maybe make him the full-time point guard and let Phelps play off the ball.

I know, it's not going to happen. But this is hard to watch.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:37 am

HorsePower wrote:Williamson very well might be the closest thing to a ball handler on the team. Considering his shooting, maybe make him the full-time point guard and let Phelps play off the ball.

I know, it's not going to happen. But this is hard to watch.

Williamson is a "point forward" out of the Ben Moore mold. Not much of a shooter but showed yesterday he can create his own shots inside of 15 feet and that really helps in what little half court offense this team has. We don't see much inside out ball movement because once the ball goes into the post to Odigie he's thinking only about scoring the ball himself and tends to force shots. He did have a lot of success yesterday at least during the part of the game I watched
Charleston Pony

Postby EastStang » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:04 am

Before I switched over to the NFL, UCF had 13 offensive boards and we had 12 defensive boards, that is totally unacceptable. Blocking out is not rocket science. When the ball goes up, you look for a body to block out. If its a long brick that bounces way out, ok, those happen. Gotta do better. On the offensive end, yes, they had some tall guys who could block shots, but we need to learn to power our shots up to the basket and get fouled to shoot for 3. That can be solved through practice. These are fundamental issues that should not exist in an AAC program.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby horsemanx » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:08 am

JasonB wrote:Our transfers need to come from bigger programs not smaller.

So should our coaches.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby Ikus » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:07 pm

EastStang wrote:Before I switched over to the NFL, UCF had 13 offensive boards and we had 12 defensive boards, that is totally unacceptable.

The frontcourt shows the difference between being tall and being athletic. Odigie is tall but can't jump. Njie never plays, so who knows? Foster has size and athleticism, but never plays. Williamson is athletic but not huge and spends a lot of time on the perimeter.
I hope this staff can recruit. They get a pass for throwing together a class on short notice this year, but only this year.
Ikus
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball