PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Memphis

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Memphis

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:26 pm

Not expecting a win tonight in Memphis, but wondering how we handle KD out there. Who guards him? Zurich?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Memphis

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:17 pm

Phelps and Nutall are both good defensive guards and both quite a bit taller but not as quick as K.D. so it should be interesting to see how Lanier plays it. I remember a game last year or maybe in the 2021 season where Memphis put a taller guard on K.D. and gave him fits (better get used to that if you really hope to play in the NBA some day). I'm not really expecting a competitive game but our guys have surprised me pretty regularly by playing above their heads against Memphis. At this point I just hope we don't get embarrassed
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:25 pm

That is what Cinci did to KD when I saw them up here the past couple of years. Did a number to him.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:48 pm

Good thing the game is tonight!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:47 pm

Game going pretty much as expected. K.D. is schooling our guys while we force shots, hurry shots and miss open shots. Early rout tonight. K.D working on a double/double 1st half
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:02 pm

SMU shooting 31%, 22% from 3 and only 57% FTs while Memphis' line is 54%/41%/63%

This game was close until it got out of hand. Nutall hit his 1st three and is 0-6 since. Todorovic is 0-4, Wright & Lanier both 0-2 with some really ugly takes.

This one is as ugly as was feared. SMU does have a 3 rebound advantage thanks to 10 offensive boards that lead to some ugly put back attempts
Charleston Pony

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:06 pm

No bench points but +7 on offensive rebounds.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Arkpony » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:24 pm

This is just a bad team.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:30 pm

Get it over with. Fire the coach

But most of all F Rick hart and F Turner. Burn it down
Pony ^

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:34 pm

For all the talk coming into this game about K.D. trying to do too much, it's Phelps who has lost his composure and is trying to be a one man team at times. Zhuric is putting up numbers but it sure looks like he's trying to make this a "me against K.D." game and forcing things more than usual tonight
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:38 pm

Todorovic and Wright have put up some uncharacteristically ugly shots in this game. As soon as some of their shots have left their hands, the only question is whether they will hit the rim.
Charleston Pony

Postby Screck » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:47 pm

Are we ever gonna see Xavier Foster in a game for SMU again? If he can’t get in this it begs the question WTH Coach Lanier. I was for giving coach a pass on first year but not so sure. Play Foster coach!
Screck
Scout Team

Postby Topper » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:11 am

Clearly our team would be multiple times better if KD and Bandomeuil had stayed. Did the new staff make any effort at all to keep them around? The whole point of the thing is to put the best possible team on the court and to win games. I am sure that we could have matched any NIL deal available to either of them. Phelps has made himself known statistically in KD's absence but his is a different skillset and we are missing so many elements of the game with this lineup.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyswim » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:30 am

Lanier definitely tried to keep KD and Band. KD was ready to move on, but Band went to the practices, and gave it a good look before he decided to move on. I think Nutall, and Todo have gotten so they take shots they should not, because they often get so few looks. When they do they force some. Nutall has always been like that. If those two take in rhythm, on balance 3's they are 45-55% shooters. Some of the shots that they take they will make at maybe a 10% rate. It should have been a goal of Lanier since last April to create good shots for Todo, Nutall, and Jalen Smith. You could add Phelps to that, but he did not have any history of being a shooter, scorer at that point. Very surprising and disappointing to me that Lanier has not done a better job in this area.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby Terry Webster » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:15 pm

This year has gone about like I expected. We lost about 85% of our offense, plus our on court leadership. We badly need a point guard next year so that Phelps can slide to a 2 where he is best fitted.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Basketball