PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

GAME THREAD: MBB at Tulane

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: GAME THREAD: MBB at Tulane

Postby PonyPride » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:06 pm

Tulane's Tylan Pope fouls out

Tulane's Sion James and SMU's Zhuric Phelps and Efe Odigie all have 4

Xavier Foster is in

71-52
1:05 to go
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyPride » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:09 pm

FINAL: Tulane 74, SMU 52

Mustangs fall to 8-15, 3-7 AAC

Up next: Saturday at East Carolina
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby GHammond » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:01 am

So you are telling me that Samuel Williamson is a McDonalds All-American? #11 on SMU? That guy…McDonald’s All-American?!! I want some kind of proof on that……
GHammond
Varsity

Postby ponyswim » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:31 am

Emory Lanier got hurt in the game on Sunday - that is why he would not be playing.
Williamson was a top 30 recruit nationwide. Somewhere along the line he hurt his wrist and apparently had surgery on it. It is bothering him know. I think he is generally a very good player EXCEPT he can't shoot. He actually did shoot pretty well Sunday vs USF but was awful tonight. It is strange that Sunday Williamson, Odigie, Todo, and Smith had solid offensive games and tonight and tonight they shot very poorly.
They clearly did not have a clue against Tulane's defense.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:01 am

ponyswim wrote:Emory Lanier got hurt in the game on Sunday - that is why he would not be playing.
Williamson was a top 30 recruit nationwide. Somewhere along the line he hurt his wrist and apparently had surgery on it. It is bothering him know. I think he is generally a very good player EXCEPT he can't shoot. He actually did shoot pretty well Sunday vs USF but was awful tonight. It is strange that Sunday Williamson, Odigie, Todo, and Smith had solid offensive games and tonight and tonight they shot very poorly.
They clearly did not have a clue against Tulane's defense.

Who you are playing against matters. Keep in mind that SMU, ECU, USF & Tulsa appear to be the 4 bottom feeders in the AAC this year. Bad teams rarely win on the road unless it is against each other. Williamson does a lot of good things for this team and can fill up a stat sheet, but he's simply not a good shooter. We can only hope his wrist can heal and he will regain his shooters touch but right now this SMU team is just a poor shooting team. Nutall shot much better than usual last night but the rest of the team was awful and as a team we couldn't even make 50% of our FTs
Last edited by Charleston Pony on Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charleston Pony

Postby geezerdonk » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:12 pm

Another shameful performance. 44% free throw percentage. Fraudulent coaches running a team that has given up before the first shot is taken.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:57 pm

geezerdonk wrote:Another shameful performance. 44% free throw percentage. Fraudulent coaches running a team that has given up before the first shot is taken.

Don't think you have been paying attention or maybe you have "insider information" that I don't. The one thing that impresses me about this team is that the effort has been there night after night and loss after loss. While the talent is lacking, these guys do appear to have good chemistry and seem to like Lanier but the harder they try the more mistakes they make with forced passes and bad shots. I haven't seen them "giving up". They just look overmatched most nights.
Charleston Pony

Postby GHammond » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:35 pm

Seems like we had another McDonalds All-American 5-6-7 years ago who was equally inept. #OnlyAtSMU
GHammond
Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball