PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Women's basketball falls to Memphis on OT buzzer-beater

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Women's basketball falls to Memphis on OT buzzer-beater

Postby PonyPride » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:32 am

From SMUMustangs.com:

Mustangs Fall At The Buzzer In OT

DALLAS (SMU)-- The SMU women's basketball team fell to Memphis, 69-68, on a last second three point shot in overtime Sunday afternoon at Moody Coliseum. Four Mustangs scored in double figures.

Savannah Wilkinson's 18 points, five rebounds and three assists led SMU (16-10, 7-7 American Athletic Conference). Reagan Bradley reached double-digits for the 12th time this season, adding 15 points. Chantae Embry tallied 13 points, seven rebounds and two assists. Jasmine Smith finished with 13 points, five assists and grabbed three rebounds.

Memphis guard Madison Griggs hit a pair of three point shots in the final minute of overtime, including the game-winner as time expired.

An Embry jumper gave SMU its first lead with 6:30 left to play in the fourth quarter. After another stop, Bradley finished an and-one layup in transition to extend SMU's lead to five. The Mustangs opened the quarter on an 11-0 run after making its first six attempts from the field. With the game tied at 59, Memphis missed a layup at the end of regulation, sending the game to overtime.

SMU forced four turnovers and held the Tigers scoreless for the final 2:52 of the third quarter. Memphis led 48-44 heading into the fourth.

SMU trailed 29-26 at the break, making three of its last four attempts from the field. The Mustangs trailed 14-10 after the first frame. SMU closed in with back-to-back buckets, first a jumper from Wilkinson, followed by a Bradley floater that beat the buzzer.

NEXT GAME
vs. Temple– Wednesday, March 1– 6 p.m. CT – Liacouras Center
TV: ESPN+
Radio: KAAM 770 AM | Audio Streaming: SMU App (Google Play | Apple App Store)

NOTES
Starters vs. Memphis: #0 Tamia Jones, #10 Jasmine Smith, #12 Savannah Wilkinson, #13 Reagan Bradley, & #14 Paige Bayliss
1st time with this starting lineup in 2022-23, 0-1 record with this starting lineup.
SMU has outscored its foes in the paint in 21-of-26 games.
SMU has scored bench points than its opponent 11 times this season.
ADDITIONAL INDIVIDUAL NOTES -
Savannah Wilkinson (#12, Sr., F)
18 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block
10th straight double-digit scoring performance
17th double-digit scoring performance of the season
Chantae Embry (#33, So., F)
14 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists
17th double-digit scoring performance of the season
3rd straight double-digit performance
Reagan Bradley (#13, Sr., G)
15 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal
12th double-digit scoring performance of the season
Jasmine Smith (#10, GS, G)
13 points, 3 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 block, 1 steal
Third straight game with 2+ assists
13th double-digit scoring performance of the season
Third straight game with 5+ assists
Tamia Jones (#0, Jr, G)
1 point, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 steal
Third straight game with 3+ assists
Jessica Peterson (#35, So, C)
4 points, 6 rebounds
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Women's basketball falls to Memphis on OT buzzer-beater

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:44 am

I need an honest assessment, from people that are knowledgeable about this program. We all know the men's team is a dumpster fire, but in coach Wilson's 2nd season, is her program where you thought it would be? Last season they won 14 games and went 7-7 in the AAC. This season we have 16 wins and are 7-7 again with 4 seniors on the roster. Personally, I thought they would be a little better at this point, some info from someone that really follows the program, would be appreciated.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:06 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:I need an honest assessment, from people that are knowledgeable about this program. We all know the men's team is a dumpster fire, but in coach Wilson's 2nd season, is her program where you thought it would be? Last season they won 14 games and went 7-7 in the AAC. This season we have 16 wins and are 7-7 again with 4 seniors on the roster. Personally, I thought they would be a little better at this point, some info from someone that really follows the program, would be appreciated.

I'm sure they dropped a game or two they expected to win, but if they reach 20 wins how can that not be seen as a positive step?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:43 pm

This team is improving greatly. They were 13-1 at home before yesterday with the only loss a close game to a ranked USF team. Should have been 14-1 after yesterday but a small mental blip at the end. They are very well coached but need to learn to win on the road. They were beaten in Memphis by 29, showing not only their home court prowess but also their improvement.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:25 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
ALEX LIFESON wrote:I need an honest assessment, from people that are knowledgeable about this program. We all know the men's team is a dumpster fire, but in coach Wilson's 2nd season, is her program where you thought it would be? Last season they won 14 games and went 7-7 in the AAC. This season we have 16 wins and are 7-7 again with 4 seniors on the roster. Personally, I thought they would be a little better at this point, some info from someone that really follows the program, would be appreciated.

I'm sure they dropped a game or two they expected to win, but if they reach 20 wins how can that not be seen as a positive step?

With 16 wins, you're talking about winning the tournament to reach 20. They do have a bad Temple team next, that should get them to 17. I hope the recruiting is spectacular, because four starters were seniors yesterday.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:59 pm

Relative to preseason expectations ECU has been phenomenal. Last place to #2/3. Memphis tied for fifth to #2/3.
UH was picked second and sits at #4. Many want to fire the coach.
SMU picked third and sits in the five spot. Loaded with seniors is a concern but the coach seems solid.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:27 am

tristatecoog wrote:Relative to preseason expectations ECU has been phenomenal. Last place to #2/3. Memphis tied for fifth to #2/3.
UH was picked second and sits at #4. Many want to fire the coach.
SMU picked third and sits in the five spot. Loaded with seniors is a concern but the coach seems solid.

Your last sentence answers my question in a way, it appears they under achieved a bit this season.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby HorsePower » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:23 pm

I agree, and Wilkinson and Smith are going to be really tough to replace
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby ritarivas89 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:45 pm

The biggest hurdles this year were the 6 of 7 games we didn’t have our leading scorer plus our 6’2” transfer from Notre Dame still didn’t play this year. Coaching has kept us in the top 5 of the conference as we usually don’t have the most talented player on the floor every night.

We also did not get the cancelled game against 2nd to bottom UCF rescheduled so we lost out on a likely win.
ritarivas89

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:30 pm

They just lost to a miserable 5 win team from Temple, I think underachieving is putting it to politely.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby ritarivas89 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:04 am

I watched the Temple game. We had two post players in boots on the sideline and two players who never see more than a couple minutes played over 20 minutes. All that to say it’s an incomplete conclusion to just look at the scores and standings without watching the games.

This team had a miserable zero-win shortened season a couple years ago and now just finished with a 16-11 season and finished 5th in the conference - with a ton of injuries. The complete team lift by a possession to Baylor in Waco and beat Cal in Berkeley. They got a lot out of the season and still eclipsed last year’s win total.
ALEX LIFESON wrote:They just lost to a miserable 5 win team from Temple, I think underachieving is putting it to politely.
ritarivas89

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:20 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:They just lost to a miserable 5 win team from Temple, I think underachieving is putting it to politely.

So what were the reasonable expectations for this season? 20 wins? 25 wins? Conference title? Let's put all the cards on the table.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:45 am

CA Mustang wrote:

So what were the reasonable expectations for this season? 20 wins? 25 wins? Conference title? Let's put all the cards on the table.

We were picked to finish 3rd, what did we end up 6th? 14 wins last season, 16 this year with 4 senior starters, very minimal improvement...wouldn't you agree?
ALEX LIFESON

Postby mrydel » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:11 am

I only see 2 seniors on the entire roster, and even though the 2 seniors are good, supposedly there are some pretty good players remaining. I am certainly not the expert but I do see improvement in the ladies since last year. They do need to learn to win on the road. They are very good at Moody but seem to play completely different when they travel.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby CA Mustang » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:47 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:
CA Mustang wrote:

We were picked to finish 3rd, what did we end up 6th? 14 wins last season, 16 this year with 4 senior starters, very minimal improvement...wouldn't you agree?

So a preseason media poll is the standard by which we judge teams? Okay...
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Basketball