PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Zurich Phelps

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Zurich Phelps

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:59 pm

Announced that he is staying at SMU. Huge news for the team. He is the type of player we can build around.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Zurich Phelps

Postby ponyboy » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:19 am

What odd times we live in when players announce they’re continuing on with their team. It’s like me putting up a sign in the front yard stating that I’ve decided to continue to stay married to my wife.

Anyway, glad Zurich is staying.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:42 am

Good news, indeed. Clearly a D-I talent and a guy who should continue to improve as an upperclassman. Hopefully Lanier & Co can bring in more talent so Zhuric doesn't have to feel like he's carrying too heavy a load
Charleston Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:02 am

[quote="Charleston Pony"]Good news, indeed. Clearly a D-I talent and a guy who should continue to improve as an upperclassman. Hopefully Lanier & Co can bring in more talent so Zhuric doesn't have to feel like he's carrying too heavy a load[/quote

I have a feeling that Zurich knows what is going on with next year.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPride » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:16 am

His statement:

"After consulting with my family and my coaches, I wanted to take this opportunity to express my commitment to SMU ahead of any speculation about my future. I will not be entering the transfer portal. I wanted to make it clear so we can focus our energy on building and growing our program. I love Dallas. I love SMU. I love my teammates and the direction we are headed. I'm excited about the future. Pony Up!"
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby HubbaHubba » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:51 am

ponyboy wrote:What odd times we live in when players announce they’re continuing on with their team. It’s like me putting up a sign in the front yard stating that I’ve decided to continue to stay married to my wife.

Anyway, glad Zurich is staying.

What kind of NIL money are you getting?
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:41 pm

Hmmm. Fair point.
ponyboy

Postby BUS » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:00 pm

36,000 per year.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby laxdawg97 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:13 pm

PonyPride wrote:His statement:

"After consulting with my family and my coaches, I wanted to take this opportunity to express my commitment to SMU ahead of any speculation about my future. I will not be entering the transfer portal. I wanted to make it clear so we can focus our energy on building and growing our program. I love Dallas. I love SMU. I love my teammates and the direction we are headed. I'm excited about the future. Pony Up!"

Very positive to have this statement out before the game. Business is being done, and done the right way, with players who model team-first behavior being rewarded for buying in to the culture Lanier is building. That will absolutely help jump-start the makeover of the roster, which is about all you can expect after a season like this one.
laxdawg97
Scout Team

Zurich Phelps

Postby geezerdonk » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:49 am

Where is he going to go? A competitive team in a major conference might, might take him as an 8 or 9 and give 4-5 minutes a game - but probably not. I guess he could go to a Division II or III team and be a big cheese but then little of no NIL.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby Screck » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:58 am

Zurich made the call now Coach Lanier needs to get out there and recruit well and get this thing going in support of him.
Screck
Scout Team

Postby SMU93 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:24 pm

geezerdonk wrote:Where is he going to go? A competitive team in a major conference might, might take him as an 8 or 9 and give 4-5 minutes a game - but probably not. I guess he could go to a Division II or III team and be a big cheese but then little of no NIL.

A friend at work is in his school's version of the Mustang Club, and he said "knows" his school was hoping Phelps would hit the portal. We all know you don’t like him, and he certainly has areas in which he can improve, but he did score a lot and would have found offers.
That said, Lanier needs to add at least two who can handle the ball and three who can shoot.
And play Foster!
SMU93

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:32 pm

SMU93 wrote:
geezerdonk wrote:Where is he going to go? A competitive team in a major conference might, might take him as an 8 or 9 and give 4-5 minutes a game - but probably not. I guess he could go to a Division II or III team and be a big cheese but then little of no NIL.

A friend at work is in his school's version of the Mustang Club, and he said "knows" his school was hoping Phelps would hit the portal. We all know you don’t like him, and he certainly has areas in which he can improve, but he did score a lot and would have found offers.
That said, Lanier needs to add at least two who can handle the ball and three who can shoot.
And play Foster!

We can only hope that Foster eventually delivers on the hype he had coming out of H.S. Hopefully this past year was more about his healing from injuries than a lack of talent. We should know soon enough because this team needs another low post guy who can score and protect the rim next year...along with a PG and a shooter or two. Would be nice if Zhuric could be just another piece and did not have to be this team's alpha night in and night out
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU93 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:47 pm

It shouldn’t be a lack of talent. Lanier said several times that Lanier is the most talented player on the team. If that is anywhere near close to true he has to play next year. Even if he’s just learning he’s7 get talk and athletic. Get him on the floor.
SMU93

Postby Screck » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:07 pm

Yep been saying all year PLAY FOSTER!!!!!
Screck
Scout Team

Return to Basketball