PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rob Lanier doomsday clock

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Rob Lanier doomsday clock

Postby PonyTime » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:30 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
DallasMustang11 wrote:
SMU F Stefan Todorović has entered the transfer portal.

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/statu ... 7425037313

This disastrous staff keeps getting worse each day!

Are you actually upset by this? Dude couldn’t play defense! I’m glad he can go somewhere and develop but was largely a below average 3&D player for us without the defense.

I tend to agree. Todorovic looked a step too slow to me and was a defensive liability. He will be better off somewhere he can get more playing time and get 10 or more shots every game. He definitely has potential to light up the scoreboard but needs to be with a program that runs more zone D to protect him defensively...not to mention I like the idea of another 'ship coming available so long as Lanier can attract some impact transfers. We are going to find out if SMU hoops can compete in the NIL era. Pony up!

Agree - not disastrous at all.

I would look for Todo to end up at Depaul with a familiar face, which will be good for him.

https://depaulbluedemons.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/staff/nemanja-jovanovic/272

Now let's see what SMU can do with that roster spot and with the ability to recruit to Pac-12 conference...
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:25 am

What have you seen recruiting wise that gives you any sort of optimism with this staff? So far everything has been a failure on and off the court.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUguy » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:58 am

Just because someone enters the portal doesn't mean he's gone. He has to get offered a spot elsewhere first.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Rob Lanier doomsday clock

Postby geezerdonk » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:28 pm

Todorovic might, with some competent coaching, might make a decent 9 or 10 on a team in a second level conference. He won't be missed at SMU. He will just be replaced by another player way over matched in Division 1.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:30 pm

mustangxc wrote:What have you seen recruiting wise that gives you any sort of optimism with this staff? So far everything has been a failure on and off the court.

Well, we do lead on three 2024 Texas top 10 prospects, a PG, SF, and Center. And we’ve got a four star PG transfer coming for an official visit.

Other than that, nothing.
ponyboy

Postby mtrout » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:29 pm

geezerdonk wrote:Todorovic might, with some competent coaching, might make a decent 9 or 10 on a team in a second level conference.

Who?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:32 am

ponyboy wrote:
mustangxc wrote:What have you seen recruiting wise that gives you any sort of optimism with this staff? So far everything has been a failure on and off the court.

Well, we do lead on three 2024 Texas top 10 prospects, a PG, SF, and Center. And we’ve got a four star PG transfer coming for an official visit.

Drew Timme, Marcus Sasser, Myles Turner and others looked at SMU before signing elsewhere. Until we sign someone, it doesn't mean anything. Activity does not equal results.
mustangxc

Postby mtrout » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:44 pm

We 100% think Twitter activity represents SMU football results. Go 7-6, lose Mordecai and Rice and people are talking about us running the table next year.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:05 pm

mustangxc wrote:
ponyboy wrote:

Drew Timme, Marcus Sasser, Myles Turner and others looked at SMU before signing elsewhere. Until we sign someone, it doesn't mean anything. Activity does not equal results.

Absolutely, you don’t get all your targets. I’m just responding to your statement that Lanier sucks in all ways and all the time. Leading on three of the top ten Texas players and having a nationally-very-highly-regarded transfer on campus at the position of greatest need seems to contradict that position.
ponyboy

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:52 pm

ponyboy wrote:

Yeah we also led for Jaland Lowe. And then he signed with Pitt. Lanier has been a tremendous disappointment in the recruiting department.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:04 pm

Any chance of hiring the FAU coach? Is there a cost to letting Lanier go?
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:21 pm

Lanier just had three transfer guards on campus. One is a former four star from a blue blood program, another a national top 150 recruit. We might actually get all three.
ponyboy

Postby MDJenkins » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:15 pm

Nice guy…horrible hire. He’s way over his head. However, let’s see how he does in the transfer portal and give him another full year with his team in a diluted AAC. Jank benefited from the portal greatly which resulted in a respectable team. It doesn’t really matter since his buyout makes it difficult to fire him.
MDJenkins
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:42 pm

MDJenkins wrote:Nice guy…horrible hire. He’s way over his head. However, let’s see how he does in the transfer portal and give him another full year with his team in a diluted AAC. Jank benefited from the portal greatly which resulted in a respectable team. It doesn’t really matter since his buyout makes it difficult to fire him.

I wouldn't be too quick to call next year's AAC a "diluted" AAC for hoops. FAU did make the Final Four and I don't remember watching Houston, Cincy or UCF there. The latter two did make the NIT but I seem to recall it was UNT vs UAB in that tournament's championship game. And...lowly Charlotte won the CBI title. There is no question the Big XII is higher rated and higher ranked, but we've complained for years about the P5 bias and those CUSA teams made a statement this season.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:15 pm

Meanwhile, I missed the fact that Koulibaly had entered the portal, opening up yet another 'ship for Lanier to help him rebuild this roster. Hopefully Anglin will prove to be an upgrade as we definitely need to upgrade our depth at guard and really need an impact guy in the backcourt. By my count, Lanier will have at least 5 openings to fill for next season. That's enough spots to completely change the fortunes of this team and let's hope it can be accomplished in year 2 because as someone else commented, in the NIL era coaches will be under more pressure to produce yesterday!
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball