PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UCONN Champs 2023

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

UCONN Champs 2023

Postby PonyTime » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:47 am

Congrats to them - they beat the teams they had to play. They had to have had the easiest path to a title in recent memory. It all liked up for them - never having to play a 1 or 2 seed and only one 3 seed.

UConn had to beat the following seeds : 5,5,3,8,5,13

To Compare to a few recent winners:
Baylor: 1,2,3,5,9,16
UVA: 3,5,3,12,9,16
Nova: 3,1,3,5,9,16
UNC: 1,3,2,4,8,16
Nova: 1,2,1,3,7,15
Duke: 1,7,2,5,8,16
Kansas: 10,4,9,16,2,8
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: UCONN Champs 2023

Postby crazy horse » Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:07 pm

During UCONNs time in the AAC, we were 10-4 against them (11-4 all time). I am sure we could all list many reasons for this. But one should be noted. They started improving once they rejoined the Big East. I don't know if they earned more money, but they certainly had a huge bump in national prestige, and a much tougher conference schedule.

The only reason I mention this is that I believe SMU in a P5 conference can do similar things - football is on the doorstep of having a P5 quality team. Bball, can only be helped by association. Surely playing PAC12 teams is far more appealing than the AAC - as it stands today. Yes, I know FAU was a cinderella this year, but how many think they will become a consistent national powerhouse? There are teams that have shown signs of life in their history - Memphis, Temple, Tulsa, UAB, heck even NT. Will the new AAC excite top tier recruits? As of now, our current staff has not demonstrated the ability to land the big fish, or "coach the boys up" - that would help SMU win. I truly wish they would prove me wrong and dominate the AAC next year. Anything less will be sad.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Return to Basketball