PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Trent Redden

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Trent Redden

Postby 50's PONY » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:14 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Sun, Mar. 14, 2004

They love this game

By Don Bowman
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

STAR-TELEGRAM/JEFFERY WASHINGTON
Julie Prescher, Texas Woman's University

David Johnson, Texas Wesleyan

Trent Redden, SMU walk-on

Kenny Shuman, TCU student trainer

Ashley Purgason, UTA walk-on

John Gibson, North Texas student manager

There are no superstars here.

These six college students come from varied backgrounds and environments, and were raised with different attitudes. Some have known great academic success; others just dream of it.

But they have one thing in common: They love basketball.

Watching the game, competing in it or being involved on some level has helped all six enhance their college life. Two are actually excelling on the court, albeit at small schools, after they thought they were finished playing.

All could be done with the sport when they leave school, but, for now, they're still involved with the game they love.

John Gibson North Texas student manager

5-foot-4 senior, kinesiology major, A&M Consolidated High School, College Station.

When he was in junior high school, Gibson knew he wanted to play basketball in high school -- and then in college.

But it wasn't to be.

Gibson was a victim of scoliosis, curvature of the spine -- and he wasn't physically able to play on the high school level.

"And it didn't help that I was 5-4, either," he said, laughing. "But that definitely did not mean I was going to just give up."

With one door shut, Gibson looked for another and found it -- and it's opened a whole new room of possibilities.

After being the student manager in high school, Gibson decided he'd try to do the same thing at North Texas. To his surprise, he got an immediate chance.

"I might not have had the opportunity at another school," he said. "We're Division I, of course, but not a Division I power. When we played at Indiana last season, they had 13 student managers. When I asked if I could try for the position in my freshman year, we had two. Admittedly, that helped."

But Gibson didn't get the job just because of a lack of interest by other students. He has embraced it to the point where he basically has what amounts to a full scholarship -- and a career calling.

"Originally, I wanted to be involved because I just love basketball so much. But now I realize it's something I want to do with my life," he said.

"In a perfect world, I'll get a job as a professional manager of some kind. But let's face it: Those jobs are rare."

And if he doesn't find that kind of job, well, he'll just search for another door.

"My plan is to get into some kind of sports management, maybe become involved in marketing or promotions if I can't find some kind of manager job," Gibson said.

While he has to be aware of his job during games, Gibson finds it easy to get caught up in the game.

"You're more aware than the average fan, I suppose, probably because you work with these guys every day -- live and die with them," he said. "So when something good happens on the court, it really can be an emotional thing.

"When we beat Baylor earlier this year and everybody was excited, I said to myself, 'This is why I do this.' It's worth every bit of the work."

And the payoff isn't bad either.

"People sometimes say that I'm lucky because I have found something I love to do, and I'm being rewarded for it," Gibson said. "What can be better?"

David Johnson Texas Wesleyan

6-foot-9 senior, psychology major, Mojave High School, Mojave, Calif.

Until he was a junior in high school, basketball was something Johnson watched other people do.

But, when he developed a flair for the game -- and grew well past 6 feet -- Johnson was talked into playing for his high school team and averaged 11 points a game in his first season.

As a senior, he averaged 22 points, 12 rebounds and six blocked shots per game, but, partially because of his inexperience, and some academic problems, he wasn't heavily recruited.

"Utah had some interest, but I wouldn't have been able to play for a year and I had started to love the game," Johnson said. "[Texas A&M] Corpus Christi showed interest and steered me to Weatherford [College] for a couple of years. Honestly, it might have helped my game, but made things tougher in other ways."

It's fair to say that Johnson didn't really focus on the sport as much as he should have.

"Focus?" he said with a laugh. "I focused on fun stuff more than school stuff and didn't get eligible. I have only myself to blame, but I got no direction academically or even help with weight-room training.

"I admit, I wish I had made some different choices, but guidance would have helped."

One of the good choices he made was to stick with the sport.

"I considered giving it up, but loved the game too much to do that. Texas Tech and Louisville showed some slight interest, but I didn't have the grades to get into those schools. So instead, I decided to come to Wesleyan since my brother Kenneth was already here and my mom lived close."

It turned out to be a wise decision. Johnson has flourished with the Rams. The player who once had no work ethic is averaging about 16 points and 10 rebounds per game this season to go along with 131 blocked shots.

"I learned here that you can't feel sorry for yourself and blame other people," he said. "I truly believe I can go on to the next level in this game. My future is ahead of me.

"But even if it isn't to be, I've made great friendships by keeping my faith in the sport. And my belief in people and myself has been restored. The future is scary, but I know things are going to turn out well."

Ashley Purgason UTA walk-on

5-foot-10 sophomore, microbiology major, Mansfield High School.

It's an old line, but, if you look in the dictionary at the word "successful," there should be a picture of Purgason.

The UTA sophomore has known nothing but success, starting in high school when she was a letter winner on three Mansfield state championship teams and a first-team all-district selection as a senior.

But Purgason is also realistic. While she still lives and breathes basketball, she knows playing is not part of her future.

"It's hard sometimes," she said. "We had such success in high school on the court. And, now, I see [former Mansfield teammates] Erin [Grant at Texas Tech] and Kelsie [Edwards at UNT] competing, and it makes me so glad I was part of it.

"And, yes, it sometimes makes me wish I could take it further."

A candidate for the Wendy's High School Heisman Award at Mansfield, Purgason attended New York University out of high school with the intention of playing basketball, but a back injury prevented that. She then quickly headed back to Arlington.

"I learned at Mansfield that family, education and a team environment are all parts of a well-rounded existence, and I knew I'd find that at UTA," she said. "People can accomplish great things individually, but I think that greater things are accomplished through a team effort. And, if nothing else, basketball has helped me realize that.

"I also wanted to play for coach [Donna] Capps. She is somebody who teaches basketball and life lessons."

Although she's not headed for the WNBA, Purgason doesn't think she'll ever completely let go of the sport.

"It gets into your blood," said Purgason, who played in 12 games, for a total of 37 minutes, this season. "Even after I leave school, I'm sure there will be rec leagues or the like.

"And I'll always be involved in watching my former teammates -- and former schools -- and living and dying with each victory."

With her, the victories probably will be a lifelong accomplishment.

Julie Prescher Texas Woman's University

5-foot-9 senior, child development major, Valley View High School, Pharr.

After Prescher played her final high school game, she figured it was time to leave basketball behind.

"I've always loved the sport," she said. "But I didn't think I could play at the next level. Sometimes, high school ball was difficult, and college ... well, it was intimidating."

But Prescher was in for a surprise -- two of them, in fact.

After not playing at Texas Woman's her first semester, she decided to try out for the team in her second.

"I couldn't believe how much I missed it," she said. "It becomes part of your life, who you are. The rush I get as a player competing, during games especially, but even in practice, I don't know now how I ever thought I could let it go that easily."

The other surprise? Prescher can play at the next level.

She was her team's leading scorer, averaging 10 points per game, and shot 36.7 percent on her 3-point attempts. She was also the team leader in free-throw percentage (86) and was second in steals.

"I never thought I'd be saying this my first semester here, but I still enjoy it [playing the game] as much as I ever have," Prescher said. "And just as importantly, basketball is something that has always kept me focused as an individual. It releases a lot of pressure that builds up because of school and is one of the main things that allows me to have fun in life."

Trent Redden SMU walk-on

6-foot-3 sophomore, Finance and Public Policy major, Sheldon High School, Sacramento, Calif.

When Redden was a senior in high school, he was a solid player in a decent league. But Redden has always been smart, and, as much as he loved the game, he knew he wasn't destined for Division I stardom.

"If you played in high school, of course, you'd love to play in Division I," Redden said. "But I've always been focused on the future. I knew academics had to come first so I reluctantly let basketball go."

For about three months.

After accepting a full academic scholarship at SMU, he decided to walk on to the basketball team as a freshman. That didn't work. But it didn't deter him.

Redden, who is also a dormitory resident assistant, played intramural ball instead. When the intramural season ended, one of the Mustangs' assistant coaches asked if he was interested in trying out for the SMU team again the following year.

The "try, try again" attitude worked for Redden. He made this year's Mustangs team and now fits Division I basketball into his incredibly busy schedule.

"Between school, being an RA and basketball, I haven't had any time to date," he said, half-joking. "That would normally be bad, but at SMU, it's real bad."

But don't ask Redden -- who is considering law school when he graduates from SMU -- to give up anything, especially basketball.

"I can't describe the feeling you get when you come into a game," said Redden, who played in three games this season. "I love the challenge of my classes, and achieving my academic goals is my big focus. But ... the rush of walking onto that court and having the students call your name. I guess I'm like their link to it. I'm an everyday guy, and I've had people tell me it makes them think they can achieve things they haven't thought they could.

"The thrill of watching people who have become close friends do well in the game, I'm not sure anything can compare. I'm so glad I got another chance."

Kenny Shuman TCU student trainer

6-foot-6 senior, double major in health/fitness and athletic training, North Little Rock High School, North Little Rock, Ark.

"I wish everybody who watches a basketball game could see it from my perspective at least once. It would give them an incredible feeling -- a completely different view."

That's the thought Shuman offers when talking about his season on the bench with the Horned Frogs.

Shuman has worked with the TCU football team, the men's soccer team and the men's and women's swimming and diving teams, but his basketball experience holds a special place in his heart.

"Without making a sweeping statement, basketball players as a group might be the best overall athletes in any team sport," he said. "The constant running, the never resting ... They have to be in great shape.

"And as a trainer, that's an attitude I love."

Although Shuman didn't play basketball in high school, he fits right in with the team, being 6-foot-6 and 225 pounds.

"When we're in an airport or something, I'm often asked what position I play," he said. "There are times I wish I did. But even being involved on this level has been a great experience."

In certain drills during practice, Shuman does get on the floor to provide a big body. And that has heightened his appreciation of the sport.

"To be able to even practice with athletes on this level -- Division I college basketball -- is an incredible thrill. I think most students would give a lot to do what I do," he said.

And it's not exactly as if he has no role in the Frogs' success.

"That's the biggest rush I can get," Shuman said. "If somebody gets hurt and me and Chris Hall [the team's trainer] work on him and get him back in the game, you feel a real part of the team.

"When you're courtside with the team, even if you're not playing, your blood gets pumping and your heart beats faster. And more than once, the guy we've worked on does something to win a game. There's nothing in the world that can make you feel better about yourself."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2004 Star Telegram and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.dfw.com
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby Lotus » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:28 pm

Looks like your post got cut off. Here's Redden's part of the story:

Trent Redden SMU walk-on

6-foot-3 sophomore, Finance and Public Policy major, Sheldon High School, Sacramento, Calif.

When Redden was a senior in high school, he was a solid player in a decent league. But Redden has always been smart, and, as much as he loved the game, he knew he wasn't destined for Division I stardom.

"If you played in high school, of course, you'd love to play in Division I," Redden said. "But I've always been focused on the future. I knew academics had to come first so I reluctantly let basketball go."

For about three months.

After accepting a full academic scholarship at SMU, he decided to walk on to the basketball team as a freshman. That didn't work. But it didn't deter him.

Redden, who is also a dormitory resident assistant, played intramural ball instead. When the intramural season ended, one of the Mustangs' assistant coaches asked if he was interested in trying out for the SMU team again the following year.

The "try, try again" attitude worked for Redden. He made this year's Mustangs team and now fits Division I basketball into his incredibly busy schedule.

"Between school, being an RA and basketball, I haven't had any time to date," he said, half-joking. "That would normally be bad, but at SMU, it's real bad."

But don't ask Redden -- who is considering law school when he graduates from SMU -- to give up anything, especially basketball.

"I can't describe the feeling you get when you come into a game," said Redden, who played in three games this season. "I love the challenge of my classes, and achieving my academic goals is my big focus. But ... the rush of walking onto that court and having the students call your name. I guess I'm like their link to it. I'm an everyday guy, and I've had people tell me it makes them think they can achieve things they haven't thought they could.

"The thrill of watching people who have become close friends do well in the game, I'm not sure anything can compare. I'm so glad I got another chance."
Lotus
All-American

Postby 50's PONY » Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:34 pm

Thanks!
50's PONY
Heisman

Return to Basketball