PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Chuck Harris commits to SMU

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Chuck Harris commits to SMU

Postby DC-Pony » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:22 pm

DC-Pony
Varsity

Re: Chuck Harris commits to SMU

Postby mustangxc » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:11 pm

Glad we got our PG! I hope we keep adding top talent.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyPride » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:05 pm

2022-23 stats

Started 24 of 29 games played, averaging 29.1 minutes per game
10.4 points per game (fourth on team)
Hit 104 of 258 (.403) field goals
Hit 35 of 103 (.340) 3-point field goals
Hit 58 of 68 (.853) free throws
3.1 rebounds per game
69 assists ranked third on team
30 steals ranked fourth
40 turnovers (fourth)

His bio on Butler website:
Position G
Height 6-2
Weight 200
Class Junior
Hometown Ashburn, Va.
Highschool Gonzaga College HS (D.C.)
Bio Related Stats Historical
Biography
*His 131 three-pointers in his Butler career (2020-21 through 2022-23) are 21st in Butler program history
*Selected to 2021 BIG EAST All-Freshman Team (unanimous selection)
*First freshman (2020-21) to lead team in scoring since Tony Warren in the 1979-80 season

AS A JUNIOR (2022-23 SEASON): His scoring average of 10.4 points per game was fourth on the team...played in 29 of the team's 32 games (missing three games and part of a fourth with concussion symptoms), starting 24...averaged 29 minutes per game...shot 40 percent from the field and 34 percent from three-point range...his 35 made three-pointers were third on the team...led the team shooting 85 percent from the free throw line, which was also seventh in the BIG EAST...his 69 assists and 30 steals were both third on the team...added 3.1 rebounds per game...led the team in scoring six times while scoring in double figures 16 times...had three 20-point games, including a season-best 32 points against Tennessee Tech Dec. 3...the performance against Tennessee Tech earned him a spot on the five-member BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll Dec. 5...went 6-for-8 from three-point range against Tennessee Tech, one of his three games on the season with four or more three-pointers made...scored 22 points in the Nov. 17 win over St. Francis (Pa.) and 20 points against North Carolina State Nov. 25 as part of the Battle 4 Atlantis...had a season-high seven rebounds against The Citadel Nov. 19, one of his eight games with five or more rebounds...had seven assists against St. Francis (Pa.) Nov. 17 and five assists at Georgetown Jan. 1...posted a season-high five steals at UConn Jan. 22, one of four games with three or more steals.

AS A SOPHOMORE (2021-22 SEASON): Led the Bulldogs in scoring for the second consecutive season as his 11.4 points per game average was also among the Top 25 in the BIG EAST...played in 31 games, making 21 starts...averaged 28.8 minutes per game...added 2.7 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game...his 48 made three-pointers led the team...shot 74 percent at the free throw line...had 16 games in double figures, including four scoring 20 points or more...led the team in scoring 11 times...scored a season-high 29 points in the BIG EAST Tournament first round win over Xavier March 9...scored 26 points (including a 4-for-7 mark from three-point range) in the Dec. 7 overtime win at Oklahoma...netted 23 points in the Nov. 13 win over Troy and had 21 points at Providence Jan. 23...had six rebounds in the Dec. 7 win at Oklahoma, one of six games with five or more rebounds...had a season-high five assists on two occasions (vs. Houston Nov. 22 and vs. Marquette Feb. 12)...had eight games making three or more three-pointers.

AS A FRESHMAN (2020-21 SEASON): Unanimous selection by the conference's head coaches to the 2021 BIG EAST All-Freshman Team...twice named BIG EAST Freshman of the Week (Dec. 28 and March 1)...named to the five-member BIG EAST weekly honor roll Feb. 8...led the Bulldogs in scoring at 12.9 points per game becoming the first freshman to lead Butler in scoring since Tony Warren (1979-80 season)...his 310 points were just outside the Top 10 of single-season scoring by a freshman (A.J. Graves is tenth with 312 points scored during the 2004-05 season)...was second to Marquette's Dawson Garcia (13.0) among BIG EAST freshmen in scoring...finished 15th overall in the BIG EAST in scoring...finished in the Top 10 in the BIG EAST in free throw percentage (.836; fourth), three-point percentage (.403; seventh), and three-pointers made per game (2.0; ninth)...led the Bulldogs in scoring in 10 games...had six games with 20 or more points and 17 total games scoring in double figures...played in 24 of the team's 25 games, starting 14...averaged 29.6 minutes per outing...led the team in free throw percentage (.836)...finished second on the team in three-point percentage (.403), three-pointers made (48) and steals (24), while his 54 assists were third on the team...shot 40 percent from the field...averaged 3.0 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game...scored a career-best 29 points at Creighton March 6...all 21 of his points came after halftime in the overtime win over Xavier in the first round of the BIG EAST Tournament March 10...scored 17.4 points per game over the team's final eight games of the season...had five games with four or more three-pointers.

PRIOR TO BUTLER: Led Gonzaga College High School to two Washington Catholic Athletic Conference titles and two D.C. State Athletic Association titles…first-team All-State selection (D.C. State Athletic Association) as a senior...averaged 12 points, four rebounds and four assists as a senior, leading the Eagles to their second DSCAA city championship…served as team captain as a senior...All-Washington Catholic Athletic Conference second-team honoree...Washington Post All-Met Team honorable mention...as a junior, averaged 11 points, five assists and four rebounds per game, helping the team to the 2019 WCAC title…posted 16 points in a 2019 WCAC semifinal win over Paul VI…played for Team Takeover on the AAU circuit, a program which has also produced Bulldogs Aaron Thompson and Bryce Golden…ranked among the Top 150 players nationally in the Class of 2020 by both Rivals (135th) and 247sports (138th)…247sports has him among the Top 25 point guards in the class…both Rivals and 247sports rate him as a four-star recruit, while ESPN lists him at three stars…played four years of varsity basketball for coach Steve Turner at Gonzaga.

Offers out of high school included Providence, George Washington, Penn State.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby ponyboy » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:54 pm

Led his team in scoring his freshman year. That’s impressive.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:31 am

Hopefully Harris and Anglin will be an upgrade from Nutall and Koulibaly in the backcourt. Still have 3 forward positions to backfill and Lanier really needs to find a SF who can score consistently from the perimeter (to replace Todorovic) and another PF who can bang and score in the paint (to replace Odigie). Once again I will try to be optimistic that next year's team will be 2 deep at every position and Lanier can play pressure defense for a full 40 minutes but I thought the same thing last year and we all know how that worked out. Our returnees will have to improve significantly for this team to turn things around quickly.
Charleston Pony

Postby DC-Pony » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:03 am

Agree on the SF who can score from the perimeter. I’m hoping Sam’s wrist continues to recover and he can be a consistent threat from deep. His stroke is a thing of beauty. The nerve damage has just had his feel off just enough to impact his percentage from deep greatly. But as we neared the end of the season I noticed his mid-rangers were going in at a nice clip and were extending outward.

I’m hoping Harris can be a true floor general and distributor. If he’s not but is a very reliable ball handler and can at least initiate the offense, then it’s a step forward for us. I notified he was third in assists for Butler last year so he wasn’t their floor general per se. Will look at some footage from last year’s Butler team to get a better sense.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby Silk » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:11 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Hopefully Harris and Anglin will be an upgrade from Nutall and Koulibaly in the backcourt. Still have 3 forward positions to backfill and Lanier really needs to find a SF who can score consistently from the perimeter (to replace Todorovic) and another PF who can bang and score in the paint (to replace Odigie). Once again I will try to be optimistic that next year's team will be 2 deep at every position and Lanier can play pressure defense for a full 40 minutes but I thought the same thing last year and we all know how that worked out. Our returnees will have to improve significantly for this team to turn things around quickly.

Woah ... that is optimistic.

I heard it's all transfers this year, but the coaches already are really going after some stud HS guys for next year. Makes sense, I guess.
Silk
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:10 pm

Silk wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Hopefully Harris and Anglin will be an upgrade from Nutall and Koulibaly in the backcourt. Still have 3 forward positions to backfill and Lanier really needs to find a SF who can score consistently from the perimeter (to replace Todorovic) and another PF who can bang and score in the paint (to replace Odigie). Once again I will try to be optimistic that next year's team will be 2 deep at every position and Lanier can play pressure defense for a full 40 minutes but I thought the same thing last year and we all know how that worked out. Our returnees will have to improve significantly for this team to turn things around quickly.

Woah ... that is optimistic.

I heard it's all transfers this year, but the coaches already are really going after some stud HS guys for next year. Makes sense, I guess.

I did say "I'm trying to be optimistic" because I don't necessarily see either of the new guards as real "impact" guys, but hopefully they will be an upgrade from Nutall and Koulibaly. Lanier likes to play pressure man to man but it's tough if/when you only have a 7-8 man rotation which we had all too frequently this past season
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:46 pm

I think Harris will be impact - though some overlap with Phelps.
ponyboy

Return to Basketball