PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Heard Rob Lanier Speak to a Group

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Heard Rob Lanier Speak to a Group

Postby digman52 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:27 pm

I heard Rob Lanier speak Thursday to a group I belong to, The Salesmanship Club of Dallas. We have helped at risk and disadvantaged kids through therapy and education for 100+ years, with our main fundraiser being the Byron Nelson Classic golf tournament each year.

Coach Lanier spent a lot of time talking about his background, and what led up to his coaching at SMU. He became emotional talking about the influence of Rick Barnes on his coaching career, and it's impact on his life. The day he got the call from Rick to join his staff at Texas he was newly married, and his wife had accepted a residency position in the Northeast. His wife told him to take the job, and they would work out the long distance newlywed issues. Within a week, Rick's contacts had gotten Rob's wife a similar position in Austin, so problem solved.

He spoke at length about the group of 10 players from last year's team staying on board, and how they are truly a unit that cares about each other. He says the 5 new transfers were asked because of how he felt they would work into this group. I asked him during questions to tell us a little about the 5 new guys. he says that 3 of them are players who have experience at point guard, a position he was forced to use Phelps at last year. That changed a lot about Phelps game, having to be the lead scorer as well as ball handler, and this year should see what he can do without the ball. Also, the Georgetown transfer is the real deal, and from October of last year, was already wanting out of there to come to SMU.

You can tell that he trying to teach these young kids on how to become a man, and the responsibilities that entails. He is excited about this group, and what it may become.

I left very excited about our future in his hands.
digman52
Junior Varsity

Re: Heard Rob Lanier Speak to a Group

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:24 pm

Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

Rick Barnes certainly knew what he meant when he said "I'm confident there are great things in store on the hardwood in Dallas."
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUguy » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:44 pm

Interesting that he felt forced to play Phelps at the point. There had better be a couple of damned good ball handlers among the newcomers.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:30 pm

Rob Lanier
Born: July 24, 1968

Alma Mater: St. Bonaventure (1990)

Career Record (major schools): 8 Years, 121-122, .498 W-L%

Schools: Siena (58-70), Georgia State (53-30) and Southern Methodist (10-22)

Conference Champion: 1 Time (Reg. Seas.), 2 Times (Tourn.)

NCAA Tournament: 2 Years (1-2), 0 Final Fours, 0 Championships
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball