PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MBB headed to Spain

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

MBB headed to Spain

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:14 pm

Should be a good early test for team chemistry and a great experience for the guys

https://smumustangs.com/news/2023/7/26/ ... -1-10.aspx
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: MBB headed to Spain

Postby BUS » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:30 am

How fun. Smu can provide great experiences for these young guys.
Enjoy.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby PonyPride » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:55 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

Vamos, Mustangs!
SMU Men’s Basketball Heads To Spain August 1-10

DALLAS (SMU) – The SMU men's basketball team tip off its 2023-24 season early, as the Mustangs will take a 10-day international trip to Spain from August 1-10, to play three games in Madrid, Valencia and Barcelona.

"This is great timing for our team," says Head Coach Rob Lanier. "We get 10 summer practices plus an important opportunity for our returning players and newcomers to prepare for and play three games against high-level competition. It will also be a wonderful bonding opportunity for our team as they learn about Spanish culture and history."

Along the way, the travel party will visit historic sites in each city. Highlights will include Madrid's Mercado de San Miguel, Plaza Mayor and Royal Palace as well a tour of Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, the home of Real Madrid, the Port of Valencia and a tour at La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. Some of the student-athletes will receive course credit, which includes additional education at the U.S. Embassy, museums and a community service event.

The Mustangs are entering the second season under Head Coach Rob Lanier. The Mustangs return three starters in Zhuric Phelps, Samuell Williamson and Jalen Smith plus a transfer class ranked as high as No. 2 in The American.

In non-conference play, the Mustangs will host Dayton and Texas A&M at Moody Coliseum plus a road game at Arizona State. SMU will also play in the Rocket Mortgage Fort Myers Tip-Off Nov. 20-22, facing West Virginia and then Wisconsin or Virginia.

The American Athletic Conference recently announced the 18-game schedule format for 2023-24. SMU will play five conference opponents twice: East Carolina, Memphis, North Texas, Tulane and UAB. The Mustangs will play home games only against Charlotte, Temple, Tulsa and UTSA, and play road games only versus Florida Atlantic, Rice, South Florida and Wichita State.

Season ticket renewals for the 2023-24 season are ongoing. For more information, visit smumustangs.com/tickets.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby Terry Webster » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:33 pm

Will there be updates of the games?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:46 pm

wish they were going to be a couple of days later. I will arrive in Madrid on the 9th for the month. However my granddaughters bd is the 10. looks like I will just miss them. Would love to have been one of a possible few fans at their game.
redpony

Postby EastStang » Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:32 pm

Saw on Twitter they won their first two games handily. Even walk-ons scored.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:50 pm

Although it was against obviously inferior competition, B.J. Edwards put up some impressive numbers. IN his 1st game, he had 8 assists vs 1 turnover, pulled down 10 rebounds, had 4 steals and contributed 10 points. Hopefully he will be the PG that was so lacking from last year's team.

Also encouraging that Williamson went 12-17 from the floor and scored 21 points. Zurich went 9-18 and scored 22 but was 1-7 on 3 pointers
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:56 pm

EastStang wrote:Saw on Twitter they won their first two games handily. Even walk-ons scored.

Nice that the walk-ons got to make the trip and got to play
Charleston Pony

Postby HorsePower » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:54 pm

The value in these trips is what it offers recruits and extra practice time. Opponents are like intramural teams, so the final results mean little.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:16 pm

HorsePower wrote:The value in these trips is what it offers recruits and extra practice time. Opponents are like intramural teams, so the final results mean little.

I'm not familiar with all the teams our guys will face so can't confirm these teams will all be like playing intramural opponents. From the box score I viewed, it appeared clear that opponent we doubled up did not have D-I talent
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:56 am

Charleston Pony

Postby bubba pony » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:38 pm

can anyone decipher these hand signs?
the three fingues I assume is for 3 victories?
2 fingues? that's not pony ears.
up hook em horns? down horn?

I'm not from the current gernation so when I give one of these hands signs at a game I want to know what it means.
Attachments
smu men's basketball.jpg
smu men's basketball.jpg (238.43 KiB) Viewed 14105 times
bubba pony
Heisman

Return to Basketball