PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DISD Coaches Endorsing Tubbs for SMU HC Position

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DISD Coaches Endorsing Tubbs for SMU HC Position

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:33 am

UNIVERSITY PARK – Several Dallas school district boys basketball coaches sent a letter to SMU officials endorsing Jimmy Tubbs as the next coach of the Mustangs.

Tubbs, an assistant coach at Oklahoma, is one of several candidates interested in the men's basketball job.

Mike Dement was fired Feb. 27 and replaced by Robert Lineburg on an interim basis. SMU president Gerald Turner, athletic director Jim Copeland and senior associate athletic director Carlton Cooper received a hand-delivered letter last Wednesday concerning Tubbs.

"It means there's a great deal of support for Jimmy Tubbs from the community," Copeland said.

Tubbs has strong ties to the area. He was a high school coach at Kimball for eight seasons and won a Class 5A state title in 1990. He was an SMU assistant for 12 seasons under John Shumate and Dement.

Tubbs joined the OU staff in May 2002.

"Dallas coaches who have known Jimmy for years are the ones who want this," said Woodrow Wilson coach Patrick Washington, who said 18 out of 21 coaches signed the letter. "We don't expect a response. The only thing we want is a press conference announcing Tubbs."

Washington said coaches wouldn't be upset if Tubbs wasn't hired.

"Coach Tubbs is a good coach who's proved he can recruit," Lincoln coach Leonard Bishop said. "Look at all the Dallas kids he's recruited. All he needs is an opportunity."

Tubbs recruited several players for SMU including Bryan Hopkins (Lincoln) and Justin Isham (Lancaster).

E-mail cwatkins@dallasnews.com
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Sounds like...

Postby MustangSally » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:05 am

Sounds like 18 of 21 DISD schools we could pretty much handpick recruits from (ie. their coaches are in support of Tubbs and SMU) if we were to hire Tubbs. The more and more I think/hear about it, he sounds like the man for the job. What was his high school head coaching record? 220-40 or something like that? I know the high school and college levels are like apples and oranges, but from what I can tell, Tubbs could coach well AND is a hell of a recruiter. The ONLY negative thing I have heard (from people within the athletic dept) is that Tubbs is not really that good of a PR frontman. I never talked with him personally, but others say he isnt the best public speaker (does he mumble or something?) in the world, and this is something SMU doesnt want to deal with. Dont know the validity of this or not, but I have heard it mentioned from some random people connected with the Ath Dept.

"Dallas coaches who have known Jimmy for years are the ones who want this," said Woodrow Wilson coach Patrick Washington, who said 18 out of 21 coaches signed the letter.
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby PG » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:23 am

Now I think I might be sold. Surely, Copeland won't turn his back on all these coaches. It could REALLY backfire on him if he does. Hopefully, he's learned enough from football that developing and keeping relationships with HS coaches is essential. A complete "outsider" (MI St. asst., IU asst., etc.) might have a tough time building those again.
PG
Junior Varsity

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:01 am

Wow. I'll admit I haven't been on the Tubbs bandwagon from day 1, but if we'd like to have at least a shot at the Larry Johnsons, Cris Boshs, Bracey Wrights or Kenyon Martins, he's our guy.
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BigEasyPony » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:06 am

It's easy to get caught up in the wave of the excitement for Tubbs, but Copeland is going to recommend hiring the coach that he thinks will be the right guy for SMU. Certainly having the support of the Dallas area high school coaches is something to strongly consider, but it is not the only thing.

I don't want to look like I'm rooting against the guy b/c he has paid his dues more than anyone and he obvioulsy would consider SMU his dream job, but based upon what Copeland likes in his coaches I can't see him pulling the trigger on Tubbs. Tubbs will be a finalist, but he'll get edged out by one of the other candidates. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a gut feel about this one. I do think that the next coach will have us all excited next year at this time about the direction of the program.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Re: Sounds like...

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:18 am

MustangSally wrote:The ONLY negative thing I have heard (from people within the athletic dept) is that Tubbs is not really that good of a PR frontman. I never talked with him personally, but others say he isnt the best public speaker (does he mumble or something?) in the world, and this is something SMU doesnt want to deal with.

I remember that he was usually the one on the radio after a Mustang win and seemed to do a good job. Certainly no mumbling.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby EastStang » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:33 am

I think getting recommendations from DISD coaches is important, not the only thing, but important. I also saw somewhere, that Haith is also being looked at by the Aggies which tells me that he has enough stature to at least merit a look from a school that has the resources and conference affiliation to go after any coach in the Country (although I don't think he'll get that job). I saw Georgetown fired Escherick (no surprise there), so they'll be in the hunt for a new coach, and don't be surprised if it is Jarvis. After all he was Ewing's high school coach. I guess for our search my personal view is that the top two choices are at this point Haith and Tubbs (absent a surprise entry after the dance). I could at this point live with both coaches with one caveat, if Tubbs gets it all those Tubbs guys cannot complain about his coaching decisions or recruiting losses. I can't wait to hear the carping when the first DISD super prospect goes to some other school out of the region.
EastStang

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:56 am

East, even if Tubbs is hired it is LIKELY that the next super prospect will still leave. Lets not kid ourselves. But over time Tubbs would get some good ones locally, probably a great one here or there. A guy like Wojcik will get none. Completely shut out of Dallas. Thats the truth.

The endorsement of the DISD coaches is strong, but it does not get it done if our alums don't make it happen through support. So this thing appears 50/50 to me at best. The stakes are high right now, I hope we make the right decision.
Hoop Fan

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:05 am

this appears unprecedented for sure...wow! :o
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby WorldStang » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:07 am

As much as I want the best for Tubbs.. I too want the best coach available in the end. The timing of this article and the way in which it's written.. has already painted SMU in a corner.

If SMU does not hire Tubbs.. I can already see another article saying something like "SMU Turns It's Back on DISD Endorsement" .. or something to that extent. We could hire someone much more qualified than Tubbs.. but it will look bad for Copeland, the school and the program because of this article.

Not to mention the pressure to win at SMU in basketball and football right now.. let's throw fuel on the fire by some beat-writer forcing SMU's hand a little.

May the best qualified coach win..
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Postby BigEasyPony » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:11 am

Do you actually believe that Wojcik, Reveno or Roberts would not be able to get a top level Dallas recruit? Let's just say Wojcik got the job and he enlists the assistance of his friend, David Robinson, to make a few phone calls to some prized Dallas recruits. Don't you think that would be a little persuasive in luring a top Metroplex recruit to Dallas? Don't you think also that Reveno, the Stanford asst., would be able to recruit some top talent locally. One thing that Tubbs would have that the others wouldn't is long standing relationships with Dallas area coaches. That would make an easier transition for the SMU program, but if one of the other guys gets the job he would have to work harder to build those relationships.

That's just my opinion. I'm open to other viewpoints though.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby Dooby » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:18 am

An endorsement is great and all, but can Tubbs use Microsoft Outlook?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mexmustang » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:28 am

Does someone have a copy of Tubbs press "bio" that they could put on the forum?

It is hard to believe anyone that competed in the DISD for the length of time as Tubbs did could have retained so many supporters--most would have at least as many critics as supporters. I am impressed! Even if he orgainized this campaign, it only demonstrates his desire to be at SMU.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:36 am

Worldstang, the article does paint SMU in a corner somewhat. I have been saying that the DMN has been doing things like that to us subtlely all along. Having said that, we deserve it frankly. If we had any kind of record whatsover of hiring people connected with the community, we wouldn't be where we are today. It is way past time to reach out, and if we have to get shamed into it thats unfortunate but not necessarily bad. I think Jimmy Tubbs is our best chance to get this program off the mat. To Big Easys point, no I do not think Reveeno or Wojcik will accomplish much recruiting Dallas. Thats my humble prediction. Roberts does have Texas connections as does Haith, but I think Tubbs is the way to go.
Hoop Fan

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:38 am

Courtesy: SoonerSports.com
Release: 05/20/2003
Hired in May 2002, Jimmy Tubbs begins his second season on the OU basketball staff after serving the previous 12 years as an assistant at SMU. He filled the vacancy on Kelvin Sampson's staff created when Ray Lopes was named Fresno State head coach.

Heavily involved in a variety of phases with the SMU program including scouting, game preparation, strategic planning, academic support and administrative facilitation, Tubbs is known for his intense work ethic and recruiting ability. With his assistance, the SMU program improved dramatically over the past six seasons, a period in which it won 103 games.

One of Tubbs' primary focuses under SMU head coach Mike Dement was the improvement of the Mustangs' recruiting presence in the state of Texas. After signing just 11 players from the state (only five from the Dallas area) in the previous 11 years, SMU landed 15 Texas-based recruits the past seven seasons, including 10 who earned high school All-State recognition.

Tubbs' work has helped earn him respect among high school and college coaches throughout the country. He was a finalist for the head coaching positions at Southwest Texas in 2000 and at North Texas in 2001.

Prior to arriving at SMU, Tubbs was the head coach at Kimball High School in Dallas for eight years. He guided the Knights to a 232-42 record, which culminated in his final season with the Texas class 5-A state title. Tubbs' Kimball teams enjoyed five 30-win seasons. He earned district coach-of-the-year honors five times and was the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex Coach of the Year twice. During Kimball's state championship season (1989-90), Tubbs was chosen as the Texas High School Boys' Coach of the Year.

Tubbs received his degree in history from Bishop College in 1972 and a master's of education in guidance and counseling from Prairie View A&M in 1976. Born in Oakwood, Texas, Tubbs has one son, Andrew (16).
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Basketball