PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DISD Coaches Endorsing Tubbs for SMU HC Position

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby In Tate We Trust » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:20 pm

SMUfan wrote about how Copeland (or the committee) is in a tight spot because of the groundswell of support within the community of local high school coaches for Tubbs to get the job. That is a factor that can not be overlooked.

Here's another: for the sake of argument, say SMU hires Haith or Roberts or that guy from Michigan State. If another school hires Tubbs and he enjoys great success (whether it's because of his Xs and Os or his ability to pull a ton of talent from DFW to that school), the SMU coach would have to enjoy tremendous success to avoid the "how much better would we be if we'd only hired Tubbs?" comments. If Tubbs gets another job and does really well, the pressure on the SMU coach, whoever it is, could be overwhelming.
In Tate We Trust
Scout Team

Postby EastStang » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:20 pm

This is getting to a lot like the Charlie Waters debates where eveyone has their line drawn in the sand. I have one last comment. I would like to recruit better in DFW Metroplex. There are good players in DFW and by being close to home their families can see them play. That being said, it is a big world out there. Look at the Mavericks, they have players from all over the world and they are a great team. Several dancing NCAA teams this year have tons of foreign players. SMU had a great name in Europe (at least until we gave up men's track). So, if the ultimate pick is not Tubbs it will be left up to the new coach to harvest those fields that he can harvest. Maybe its Dallas, maybe its Houston, maybe its Minsk. Who knows? Look at St. Joe's its two best players are NOT from Philly. Now if we can get on the right track quicker by landing a bunch of DISD studs in basketball, that would be a plus for Tubbs. As I said, I don't have a first choice here. I think we have some great candidates. It will be interesting to see what the Committee decides.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re:

Postby Dooby » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:37 pm

In Tate We Trust wrote:Here's another: for the sake of argument, say SMU hires Haith or Roberts or that guy from Michigan State. If another school hires Tubbs and he enjoys great success (whether it's because of his Xs and Os or his ability to pull a ton of talent from DFW to that school), the SMU coach would have to enjoy tremendous success to avoid the "how much better would we be if we'd only hired Tubbs?" comments. If Tubbs gets another job and does really well, the pressure on the SMU coach, whoever it is, could be overwhelming.

The same can and will be said about any coach that is considered and turned down that ultimately proves to be a successful coach. But then again, Copeland interviewed Tommy Amaker and people never raised hell when he was successful at Seton Hall or at Michigan (won the first game of the NIT last night; better than Demend ever did). Hell, other than me, that little fact has been forgotten.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Tubbs-UNT

Postby SWC Grey Hair » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:05 pm

UNT didn't hire Tubbs when he tried to get their job a few years ago. Enough said. Move on.
SWC Grey Hair
Scout Team

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:13 pm

Who gives a damn what UNT did or did not do. Hiring a coach isn't the exact science that some of you seem to think it is.
Hoop Fan

Postby Eddie P » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:30 pm

I like Jimmy Tubbs. Spoke very briefly with him not five days ago. However, I agree with those who say that this is not an "easy decision." or a "no-brainer." And to truly believe that the some sort of blight would befall SMU in our recruitment of DISD players if we dared to not hire Jimmy Tubbs is a little farfetched. I mean, the very best players in the area have been going to schools coached by men who have zero ties to the DISD for untold years. This is not going to change regardless of who we hire from the current public (and private) group of coaches being interviewed. Sadly, given the choice between Duke and SMU, I think the player may lean towards Duke regardless of what his coach says. So that kinda kills the whole "the coaches will steer players away or towards SMU" talk.

I think it was encouraging to see the letter endorsing Tubbs. I'm sure it will enter into the deliberations, somewhat, like every letter and recommendation endorsing every candidate being interviewed. Does it have more relevance coming from DISD coaches? Absolutely. Should it be the deal maker that turns the tide for Tubbs that people seem to make it out to be? I dearly hope not.

That being said, I would like to see Jimmy Tubbs coach at SMU. But I want the best candidate possible to coach here next season and if that is Tubbs, so much the better.
Eddie P
Heisman

Re:

Postby giacfsp » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:40 pm

Dooby wrote:
In Tate We Trust wrote:Here's another: for the sake of argument, say SMU hires Haith or Roberts or that guy from Michigan State. If another school hires Tubbs and he enjoys great success (whether it's because of his Xs and Os or his ability to pull a ton of talent from DFW to that school), the SMU coach would have to enjoy tremendous success to avoid the "how much better would we be if we'd only hired Tubbs?" comments. If Tubbs gets another job and does really well, the pressure on the SMU coach, whoever it is, could be overwhelming.

The same can and will be said about any coach that is considered and turned down that ultimately proves to be a successful coach. But then again, Copeland interviewed Tommy Amaker and people never raised hell when he was successful at Seton Hall or at Michigan (won the first game of the NIT last night; better than Demend ever did). Hell, other than me, that little fact has been forgotten.

Amaker interviewed for the SMU job? That somehow slipped past me completely. Wouldn't mind having him on the sideline....
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:54 pm

If we had hired Amaker, we would be firing him this year. You will find once more, it aint the coach. But I like the way you guys keep dreaming that Tubbs or anyone else is going to make SMU a top 35 team without significant changes. Tubbs obviously wants this job badly and has asked his old HS buddies for their support. If he wants it that badly, he'll probably get no concessions from the school for a little easier standards, new practice facility, Moody renovations etc. But just keep on dreaming guys. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over to hear how we will be great shortly.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:01 pm

That is one concern about Tubbs really wanting the job, no leverage for changes I agree. Having said that, I think that the basketball program will piggy off of the football program anyway and whatever concession Bennett is able to get academically. So its somewhat moot. As for the facilities, I don't know how to handicap that. I think Tubbs makes enough sense that I am willing to risk it. If he generates a little excitement like I believe he can, the facilities are so needed that its gonna have to get done soon anyway.
Hoop Fan

Postby Stallion » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:41 pm

"Marcus Tubbs was a skinny kid that nobody wanted" Please! get you facts straight.
Stallion

Postby BigEasyPony » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:57 pm

Hey OP, don't be so cynical. Changes are being made at SMU. We all know additonal changes need to be made, but with the NCAA cracking down on recruiting practices of colleges in the wake of the CU scandal the pack may be coming back to us as well.

With the talent we have now we are capable of making the NIT and two (2) years from an NCAA bid.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:05 pm

the BEST thing about this topic is that it shows there IS still some interest in what's going on at SMU. Let's face it...we've become irrelevant in the landscape of college athletics.

Copeland and the committee have a difficult decision here, but the bottom line is that if Jimmy Tubbs can sell that group that he is as good as any other candidate, it would appear he would at least have the support of local coaches. Whether they can help him sell SMU to more top Dallas area recruits remains to be seen, but it certainly doesn't hurt. There is no question but that SMU needs to continue rebuilding it's relationship to Dallas. I wouldn't mind a roster full of locals, who just might have friends and family willing to come out to watch them play. If enough kids want to stay home and play in front of family and friends, there is no reason whatsoever that SMU can't compete with the big boys in hoops. It takes only a couple of top players to catapult a bball program into the spotlight.

The real question is whether Tubbs or anyone else can accomplish that task, i.e., convincing a couple of top players that it can be done here. As everyone talks about our facilities, our (lack of) fan support and our cirriculum as reasons why we can't compete for top talent...keep in mind that you have to be incredibly naiive to think we are otherwise competing on a "level" field. Does anyone really believe the top programs are not offering "inducements" for top players? We've tasted the death penalty so nobody should look for SMU to return to TRULY competing for top players.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:13 pm

You guys act like you are on the search committe ;)

I would like the best candidate for the job who can recruit, motivate, teach how to rebound, set picks, and get kids to run around and hustle (which I haven't seen for 9 years)

A kid is going to go to a big name school if he is a top 10 player from DISD regardless...
Pony_Fan

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:06 pm

Old Pony:

What was it, then, that Dave Bliss did or didn't do that had SMU ranked #2 at one point? I don't believe it was the improprieties going on at the time; they had the same proprieties at Baylor, with no fewer than two conference players of the year, and didn't accomplish a similar feat. I suspect that I'll probably wind up agreeing with you, that it's the administration, but I'm just curious as to what your specific point is.
RGV Pony

Re:

Postby Dooby » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:16 pm

OldPony wrote:If we had hired Amaker, we would be firing him this year. You will find once more, it aint the coach. But I like the way you guys keep dreaming that Tubbs or anyone else is going to make SMU a top 35 team without significant changes. Tubbs obviously wants this job badly and has asked his old HS buddies for their support. If he wants it that badly, he'll probably get no concessions from the school for a little easier standards, new practice facility, Moody renovations etc. But just keep on dreaming guys. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over to hear how we will be great shortly.

Hoop Fan wrote:That is one concern about Tubbs really wanting the job, no leverage for changes I agree. Having said that, I think that the basketball program will piggy off of the football program anyway and whatever concession Bennett is able to get academically. So its somewhat moot. As for the facilities, I don't know how to handicap that. I think Tubbs makes enough sense that I am willing to risk it. If he generates a little excitement like I believe he can, the facilities are so needed that its gonna have to get done soon anyway.

These are two best posts in this thread. And this is my no. 1 concern about Tubbs.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball