PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Head Coach Jimmy Tubbs

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Head Coach Jimmy Tubbs

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:37 pm

:) Those who listened to Coach Tubbs' post-game interviews during the Dement regime know him to be well-spoken and articulate. (why he was doing the post-game, and not the head coach, always puzzled me) We don't know how Head Coach Tubbs would be on the speaking tour, but I venture to say he'd be good. No reason to think otherwise. I don't think he'll be a Kim Mulkey-Robertson, but I also don't think he'll be a Mike Dement. Somewhere in-between. I think being a Big D person is a plus. Let's give it a try.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:52 pm

you should actually give credit to Dement for giving Tubbs that exposure. He only sent Jimmy to do the interviews after wins, never losses. That was one of the classiest moves Dement made in his time here and I give him credit for it.

Tubbs is a perfectly good communicator. Not necessarily a public speaker but who cares, our coaches aren't in the ESPN limelight anyway.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby In Tate We Trust » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:08 pm

If Coach Tubbs can recruit stud players, and the team starts winning, that's the only communication needed. He could sound like Ozzy Osbourne, but if he's got a team of recognizable players and a record of 18 or 20 or 23 wins, the "communication" issue will never be heard again. And he might stay around a long time, even with great success that might inspire big-money schools to come calling. His girlfriend still lives in Dallas and he still has a home in the area. If he's hired, he has the elements for a long run of success, if he's actually as beloved in Dallas high school coaching circles as he seems to be.
In Tate We Trust
Scout Team

Return to Basketball