PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Re: ACC possibility

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Higher Authority » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:09 am

Obviously football drives everything, but a basketball schedule that includes matchups with the likes of North Carolina, Duke, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Boston College and Louisville would be a hell of a lot easier to sell to the casual fan ... and to recruits.
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby EastStang » Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:45 pm

Absolutely. Don't forget UVA (which won the National Title recently), Pitt, and Miami, ND, and also Stanford.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HubbaHubba » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:40 pm

As of late, The U is one of the scariest teams to play. Coach L is one of the best in all of college hoops.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:09 am

I think Duke last visited Moody in the late 70's when Bill Foster had Spanarkel, Gminski & Banks and they whipped a Sonny Allen coached team that was not very competitive in that time frame
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:25 am

It just got real so I'm hoping we will get Virginia in the 2nd round game in Ft Myers this year. Would be a good measuring stick game to see how much work remains to be done to compete at an ACC level.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:53 am

Will be interesting to see how many more season tickets are sold for 2024-25 season than will be sold this year. Hopefully there won't be another significant money grab because SMU needs to pack Moody
Charleston Pony

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:24 pm

Did it over on the football board so will do it here as well....

Records against the ACC -

Boston College: 1-0
California: 2-1 (1-1 with win vacated)
Clemson: 1-1 (0-1 with win vacated)
Duke: 1-3
Florida State: 0-1
Georgia Tech: 6-8
Louisville: 2-8
Miami: 2-0
Notre Dame: 1-4
North Carolina: 1-2
North Carolina State: 1-1
Pittsburgh: 1-0
Stanford: 2-2
Syracuse: 0-0
Virginia: 0-1
Virginia Tech: 0-0
Wake Forest: 0-2
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Big Hoss » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:04 pm

I've been a football season ticket holder for 20 years. I've gone to some basketball games over the years and love the Moody environment, I just can't make it to very many games during the week. But I grew up in ACC country and have always loved the conference for basketball.

First thing after I saw today's announcement, I went and bought season tickets this season for our Mustangs to show my support. I also want to get in ahead of what is hopefully a surge of new season ticket holders next year.

While the whole conference realignment wave the last few years makes zero sense to me (outside of sheer greed), I'm ecstatic that we landed in the ACC. To think of the teams that are now going to come and play us each year? And seeing our Mustangs playing at places like the Dean Smith Center and Carmichael Auditorium? Dear Lord, that is going to be amazing.
Big Hoss
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smubrooks » Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:13 am

I haven’t followed basketball for a long time. Will we even be competitive next year? Do we need to buy a new team and or coach? How’s it looking over here?
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:49 pm

Mustangs35SMU wrote:Did it over on the football board so will do it here as well....

SMU beat Pitt in two bowl games: 1983 Cotton Bowl and 2012 BBVA Compass Bowl
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:19 am

H-E-B Mustang wrote:
Mustangs35SMU wrote:Did it over on the football board so will do it here as well....

SMU beat Pitt in two bowl games: 1983 Cotton Bowl and 2012 BBVA Compass Bowl

These are basketball results. We had some really good games with UNC back in the day. I remember Dean Smith talking about Kato Armstrong after we played them twice in a 3 year period and asking: "Is that kid EVER going to graduate?"
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:08 pm

We had a series with Georgia Tech back when I was a student at SMU. We won 2 games in Moody and lost @ Georgia Tech
Charleston Pony

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:02 am

smubrooks wrote:I haven’t followed basketball for a long time. Will we even be competitive next year? Do we need to buy a new team and or coach? How’s it looking over here?

I second this question. I confess I kind of bailed on hoops after it became clear in year 2 of Jank that the magic was over. Where do we currently stand? Can our current staff hang against the big dogs of the ACC?
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:53 am

I think Lanier significantly upgraded the backcourt bringing in PGs B.J. Edwards from Tennessee and Chuck Harris from Butler. Those guys will help bring out the best in Zhuric Phelps. Our returning guards from last year (Jalen Smith, Ricardo Wright & Emory Lanier) will have to battle for minutes with another transfer, Denver Anglin from Georgetown. Bottom line is the backcourt will be a huge upgrade from last year.

Hopefully, Samuel Williamson will be improved from last year as his wrist injury continues healing. He was a valuable contributor all over the floor but if his shooting touch returns, that would be a huge boost to this team offensively.

Transfers Tyreek Smith (Texas Tech) and Ja'Heim Hudson (Georgia State where he was recruited by and played for Coach Lanier) join returning big men Keon Ambrose-Hylton, Moe Njie & Xavier Foster. This group is the biggest question mark to me. If these guys can significantly improve our interior defense and low post play, this year's SMU team should be really competitive in the AAC.

FAU, UNT & UAB are strong replacements for Houston, Cincy & UCF so I think the AAC competition will be every bit as tough as it was last year. Will be interesting to see how our guys fare against this level of competition because it will get tougher next year in the ACC
Charleston Pony

Postby bubba pony » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:56 pm

I know little about this team. My last year impression was it was "sandlot ball". do whatever you want. Don't wait for anyone and shot 3's. I hope coach can prove me wrong.
bubba pony
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball