PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Re: ACC possibility

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:14 am

Pony ^ wrote:So have we fired the coach yet or are we just going to waste more time after another abysmal season coming up?

We should find out pretty early what kind of team the transfer portal has netted Lanier. I like the looks of the reconstructed backcourt and with games vs A&M, West Virginia, either Wisconsin or Virginia, Arizona State and Florida State before we get into conference play, this will be as tough a non-conference schedule as we've faced in years. Really going to have to get a stellar SR season from Williamson and for our returning bigs to be much improved to compete against those teams.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:42 am

being behind teams like ECU and UAB in the preseason poll should be pretty telling on what's to come. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm probably not. We are wasting time here.
Pony ^

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:10 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I think Lanier significantly upgraded the backcourt bringing in PGs B.J. Edwards from Tennessee and Chuck Harris from Butler. Those guys will help bring out the best in Zhuric Phelps. Our returning guards from last year (Jalen Smith, Ricardo Wright & Emory Lanier) will have to battle for minutes with another transfer, Denver Anglin from Georgetown. Bottom line is the backcourt will be a huge upgrade from last year.

Hopefully, Samuel Williamson will be improved from last year as his wrist injury continues healing. He was a valuable contributor all over the floor but if his shooting touch returns, that would be a huge boost to this team offensively.

Transfers Tyreek Smith (Texas Tech) and Ja'Heim Hudson (Georgia State where he was recruited by and played for Coach Lanier) join returning big men Keon Ambrose-Hylton, Moe Njie & Xavier Foster. This group is the biggest question mark to me. If these guys can significantly improve our interior defense and low post play, this year's SMU team should be really competitive in the AAC.

FAU, UNT & UAB are strong replacements for Houston, Cincy & UCF so I think the AAC competition will be every bit as tough as it was last year. Will be interesting to see how our guys fare against this level of competition because it will get tougher next year in the ACC

I couldn't find any thread on predicting our W/L record but not sure I would have predicted better than 20 wins and a 6th place finish in this year's AAC.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyME » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:16 pm

Break out the champagne!
PonyME
Scout Team

Previous

Return to Basketball