PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Re: ACC possibility

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:10 pm

bubba pony wrote:I know little about this team. My last year impression was it was "sandlot ball". do whatever you want. Don't wait for anyone and shot 3's. I hope coach can prove me wrong.

I think we are going to start to see what Lanier can do this year. He didn't have a whole lot to work with last year.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:21 pm

Next year we will see what kind of a coach/recruiter he is. He will be playing against the 'blue bloods' and has best be competitive.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:00 pm

bubba pony wrote:I know little about this team. My last year impression was it was "sandlot ball". do whatever you want. Don't wait for anyone and shot 3's. I hope coach can prove me wrong.

We did not have a true PG and Zhuric Phelps was the only guy who could create his own shots off the dribble so it was pretty ugly at times. We have a couple of guys who will be more comfortable running the point so I expect to see a completely different team this year although I expect it to be guard oriented offensively
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyTime » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:00 pm

They have a long road ahead of them to get prepared for ACC hoops. I could easily see SMU being in the bottom 2 of the conference unless they start to pull in top recruits with NIL.

Sorry to say - but "top recruits" means a higher level than anyone currently on the roster.

We need the next Shake Milton, Semi Ojeleye, Ben Moore, Sterling Brown, etc. to compete in the ACC. Future NBA level talent.

Is Lanier the guy to do this? We shall see...
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:13 pm

PonyTime wrote:They have a long road ahead of them to get prepared for ACC hoops. I could easily see SMU being in the bottom 2 of the conference unless they start to pull in top recruits with NIL.

Sorry to say - but "top recruits" means a higher level than anyone currently on the roster.

We need the next Shake Milton, Semi Ojeleye, Ben Moore, Sterling Brown, etc. to compete in the ACC. Future NBA level talent.

Lanier's 1st H.S. recruit looks pretty good. Coming out of H.S. Chance Puryear is rated slightly higher than Zhuric Phelps and Sterling Brown but I agree SMU is going to have to aim higher to compete with the likes of Duke, UNC, Virginia, Syracuse, etc... The ACC is loaded with basketball blue bloods. Scroll down to see our highest rated recruits since these records have been kept

https://247sports.com/college/smu/Seaso ... l/Commits/
Charleston Pony

ACC possibility

Postby geezerdonk » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:41 pm

Get ready for a lot of 30+ point blow out losses.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:14 pm

geezerdonk wrote:Get ready for a lot of 30+ point blow out losses.

And some shocking upsets in Moody
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:24 pm

PonyTime wrote:They have a long road ahead of them to get prepared for ACC hoops. I could easily see SMU being in the bottom 2 of the conference unless they start to pull in top recruits with NIL.

If he is not the coach we will need to move on quckly- not procrastinate like jank. being at the bottom is not acceptavle
redpony

Postby PonyTime » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:26 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:

Lanier's 1st H.S. recruit looks pretty good. Coming out of H.S. Chance Puryear is rated slightly higher than Zhuric Phelps and Sterling Brown but I agree SMU is going to have to aim higher to compete with the likes of Duke, UNC, Virginia, Syracuse, etc... The ACC is loaded with basketball blue bloods. Scroll down to see our highest rated recruits since these records have been kept

https://247sports.com/college/smu/Seaso ... l/Commits/

Really tough to look at the first two names on that list - Mudiay and Frazier (our highest rated recruits ever). Surprised to see Harry Froling on that list. Wondered whatever happened to that guy and Wikipedia delivered my answer, which was surprising (at least to me). Sad story:

On 28 May 2022, Froling signed with the Brisbane Bullets for the 2022–23 NBL season.[21] On 22 January 2023, he was hospitalised with a serious head injury after getting knocked unconscious during a night out in Wollongong. He discharged himself later that morning before flying back to Brisbane where he was re-admitted to hospital and underwent brain surgery.[22][23] He was subsequently ruled out for the rest of the season.[24] On 24 January, a 19-year-old man turned himself into police and was charged with reckless grievous bodily harm and affray.[25]

Froling was set to join the Ipswich Force for the 2023 NBL1 North season.[26] As of May 2023, Froling has not been cleared for physical activity and could potentially not play competitive basketball again.[27]
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:54 pm

Froling was highly thought of coming out of H.S. and Jank had someone on staff with an Australia connection as I recall. He didn't do much in his 2 seasons of D-I college ball at SMU and then Marquette. Looks like he did have success as a professional in Australia before that unfortunate event. I think that entire family played basketball starting with the parents and I think Harry had a younger brother who also tried to play D-I ball but I never heard much about him, either.

Todorovic is another guy who was rated pretty high who didn't pan out for SMU. He transferred to San Francisco so we'll see how he does there and whether he lives up to the hype.

https://247sports.com/college/smu/seaso ... nkey=24055
Charleston Pony

Postby Roach » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:17 pm

Mudiay, Frazier and Froling tell you everything you need to know about the "ratings." Mudiay never arrived, Frazier flamed out and Froling did nada. Guys like Nic Moore, Ben Moore, Sterling Brown, etc., didn't have the ratings those guys did and became all-timers at SMU.
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:24 pm

Roach wrote:Mudiay, Frazier and Froling tell you everything you need to know about the "ratings." Mudiay never arrived, Frazier flamed out and Froling did nada. Guys like Nic Moore, Ben Moore, Sterling Brown, etc., didn't have the ratings those guys did and became all-timers at SMU.

Nic Moore was just "too little" to be successful at this level...at least according to the "experts". He was Illinois State's 5th highest all-time recruit and had been recruited by Tim Jankovich who if you will recall convinced Larry Brown to bring to SMU as a transfer. "Little" Nic was a 3 star on 247 and had only one P5 offer (Northwestern). He was rated at .8719 which would have made the Top 25 list for SMU right behind Elijah Landrum and ahead of Tom Wilson. We all remember those guys from the classes of 2017 and 2016 respectively, right?

Mudiay was appropriately rated and had an NBA career to show for it. I still imagine what SMU hoops might have been with him and others who may have played here if Larry Brown had been better supported and stayed on as our HC
Charleston Pony

Postby indianmustang » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:10 pm

hope we flip some recruits in basketball
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby Arkpony » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:08 pm

Amen on CPs comment on Larry Brown. I would have fired our AD when he let Brown get away
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Pony ^ » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:24 am

So have we fired the coach yet or are we just going to waste more time after another abysmal season coming up?
Pony ^

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball