PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Gillispie/A&M

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Gillispie/A&M

Postby socite » Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:23 pm

Did you read Chip Brown's and Rachel Cohen's column in today's DMN? If so, what did you think about their comment that Gillispie would be interested in the job if he could get assurances from A&M's President and AD that they would add or alter majors to "make the school's curriculum more favorable to high-risk student athletes". Their article also said that "the only part of A&M that many athletes can get into is the College of Agriculture, which doesn't always appeal to recruits".

How in the world do "students" like this ever get in school like A&M if they are so dumb they can not even major in kinesiology?

I must be a little behind the times, but I was under the impression that a school's curriculum was always established by the professors - not by the coaches.
socite
Recruit

Postby DallasDiehard » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:37 am

I'm right there with you, socite - that jumped out at me, too.
Although I bet A&M will come up with several hundred thousand reasons for Gillispie to take the job, even without changing their academic programs.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby BigEasyPony » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:08 am

This makes no sense to me. How can A&M be so competitive in football with the same majors. I hardly think that if this is an issue that A&M is going to change all of that for Gillespie. No way. If this was an issue then I doubt their football team would be as competitive. A&M should tell Gillespie to head on back to El Paso.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:15 pm

this thread raises the age old question: how nice would it be for SMU to have a "sports mangement" degree program that offered training and education geared for a career in sports; whether it be as a coach, trainer, athletic director or whatever?

How nice would it be for SMU to create an environment where our teams are coached by SMU alumni who have on their staffs a large number of alumni...practically assuring that there would be plenty of candidates to succeed our current coaches...all with SMU in their blood?

Of course, it takes $$$ and lots of it. Sure would be nice to see more of "our own" coming home. I remember feeling pretty good about Forest Gregg stepping up to take the A.D. job under what were probably the most challenging conditions EVER at SMU. Say what you will about the man. I give him a lot of credit for answering the call at that point in our history.

As for Gillespie, he just wants to make sure he can recruit any strret baller with skills, without worrying about academics. Realistically, it's the only way he can hope to compete with Kansas, Texas, OSU, Okla, TTech and the rest of the Big XII. Let's face it...A$M ain't exactly a hoops school and that's going to be a tough mold to break.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball