PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Other games of interest

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Other games of interest

Postby highlander » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:08 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
indianmustang wrote:Looks like USF won the aac regular season title

Auto bid to the NIT if they don't win the AAC Tourney. They could win out and lose in the AAC Finals and would still be a long shot for the NCAAs because of those early season losses. They are clearly not the same team that lost those games. Lots of teams are upset early in the season but they had some really ugly losses before they whipped FSU and started to gel

Yeah this appears to be the main problem with being in the AAC: most of your chances for "statement" wins come early in the season (if at all) before you start conference play. USF looks like a fantastic team that can beat anybody in the NCAA tournament.
highlander
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:40 pm

I may be wrong but I thought they did away with the automatic NIT bid for conference champs not winning their tournament
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:34 pm

mrydel wrote:I may be wrong but I thought they did away with the automatic NIT bid for conference champs not winning their tournament

Right you are. Looks like the NIT wants more teams from the power conferences...regardless of their won/lost records! One more reason to be thankful we are moving up but a shame that more AAC teams might not get a chance to show how competitive this conference might be

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/10/27/me ... ormat.aspx
Charleston Pony

Postby indianmustang » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:06 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
mrydel wrote:I may be wrong but I thought they did away with the automatic NIT bid for conference champs not winning their tournament

Right you are. Looks like the NIT wants more teams from the power conferences...regardless of their won/lost records! One more reason to be thankful we are moving up but a shame that more AAC teams might not get a chance to show how competitive this conference might be

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/10/27/me ... ormat.aspx

Manipulate NET like MWC
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:58 am

Would have been a really good year for an AAC vs MWC challenge with FAU vs SDSU, UNT vs Utah State, Memphis vs Boise, UAB vs Nevada, etc...SMU would have been down on the list as we were predicted to finish 7th so probably would have drawn Wyoming or UNLV but those would have been good games
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:33 am

Wichita State visits UAB tonight where the Blazers are 11-4 on the season. Can the Shockers pull a shocker tonight to help us out? I certainly wouldn't bet on it but may have to watch at least the early part of that game
Charleston Pony

Postby shadowman » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:27 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Wichita State visits UAB tonight where the Blazers are 11-4 on the season. Can the Shockers pull a shocker tonight to help us out? I certainly wouldn't bet on it but may have to watch at least the early part of that game

When you lose at home by 26 to Rice like UAB just did, the Shockers are certainly capable of winning!
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:50 pm

Wichita State is up 6 at the half. Colby Rogers on fire and has 19 1st half points for the Shockers. He was 3-9 and scored 12 points in 38 minutes against us. He is their leading scorer at 15.3 per game
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:19 pm

Wichita State stretched their lead to 15 points and that has the announcers talking about UAB's game against Rice
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:01 pm

WSU hangs on to win after letting UAB get a 19 point deficit down to one inside of a minute to play. We are now tied with UAB at 10-5 in AAC play. Our guys just need to take care of business against UTSA and ECU
Charleston Pony

Postby shadowman » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:14 pm

UAB has been looking pretty shaky lately and they still have games at Memphis and at Temple. They will almost certainly lose one of those and losing both is very possible as well. Temple just smoked Rice down in Houston by over 20 points.

We now are back in the 4th seed based on our win against UAB. Definitely just need to take care of business at home against two of the bottom dwellers and will still probably need to win at UAB to get the fourth seed. I haven't done the math because still too many variables but my quick analysis says that UAB would own the tie-breaker against us since they did beat FAU. Memphis is just 1 game back as well with two very winnable games coming up, they do close the season out at FAU though which will be tough.

Bottom line, we control our own destiny for the 4th seed and we would even have a great shot at the third seed by winning out if Charlotte loses another, although I would rather be the 4th seed and play USF vs. FAU in the semis if the seeding held through the games on Friday.

Should be interesting and let's all show up to Moody on Saturday.

Go Ponies!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:12 pm

UAB came to play today. Leading Memphis 41-29 with a little over 5 min before halftime
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:34 am

Memphis beats UAB easily and is now tied with SMU with 6 conference losses but the Tigers have to play @ FAU next weekend. We still control our own fate and could earn the 4th seed or possibly the 3 seed (depending on how Charlotte finishes) by winning out which would also knock UAB out of the current 3 way tie of teams with 6 losses
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:05 pm

Charlotte holds on to beat Rice tonight 69-64 making 19-23 FTs to clinch late
Charleston Pony

Postby shadowman » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:12 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Charlotte holds on to beat Rice tonight 69-64 making 19-23 FTs to clinch late

I watched the end of that game on my phone during halftime of the SMU game. Rice was within 2 a couple of times late but had such a bad strategy with under a minute to go. They left the best FT shooter on the team wide open twice and of course he made all 4 foul shots. You have got to double team a guy like that on the inbounds, much less leave him wide open.

Can't count on them Owls for nothing!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball