PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

GAME THREAD: men's basketball vs. Texas A&M

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: GAME THREAD: men's basketball vs. Texas A&M

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:40 pm

The jury is still out on Zhuric. In our 1st 3 games, it was obvious perimeter shooting is still a weakness but he appeared to have become more of a playmaker as his assist to turnover ratio was significantly improved compared to last year when he had 96 assists vs 81 turnovers on the season. After reverting more to last season's form and delivering 3 assists vs 5 turnovers last night he now has 14 assists vs 8 turnovers on the young season. Zhuric hit about 40% of his FG attempts last year (with a large part of his success in the paint) and is at about 31% so far this year. He's been the alpha his entire basketball career and continues driving and forcing shots in the paint but in my opinion he has a lot of work to do on his shooting and decision making if he hopes to ever play professionally. I agree he's a tenacious defender that can make opposing guards very anxious
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:45 pm

tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:22 am

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:Saw part of the game. This team is so different from the Larry Brown era - didn’t seem to show any passion. Long way to go. I personally don’t see this HC as one who can make SMU successful in the ACC. A HC has to connect with the fan base and the university. I don’t see it.

totally agree. if by mid-season we aren't heads and shoulders better we might need to start looking for who will be available as a replacement. This is Lanier's second year- compare that to RL who is also a second year coach. The last thing we want is to be a door mat for the better ACC teams that will come to Moody. That will drive any potential fans away from supporting our bball program.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby highlander » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:28 pm

redpony wrote:
Mustangs_Maroons wrote:Saw part of the game. This team is so different from the Larry Brown era - didn’t seem to show any passion. Long way to go. I personally don’t see this HC as one who can make SMU successful in the ACC. A HC has to connect with the fan base and the university. I don’t see it.

totally agree. if by mid-season we aren't heads and shoulders better we might need to start looking for who will be available as a replacement. This is Lanier's second year- compare that to RL who is also a second year coach. The last thing we want is to be a door mat for the better ACC teams that will come to Moody. That will drive any potential fans away from supporting our bball program.

With SMU's resources, in the age of the transfer portal, I don't see how Lanier keeps his job if we aren't at least a bubble team by season's end.
highlander
Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball