PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Reversal

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Reversal

Postby Hop Sing » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:16 am

My how things have changed. Back in the LB days the basketball forum was hot and football was dead. Now it’s crickets here with a game tonight against a good team, and I rarely even click on this forum. Thank God football has been resurrected!
Hop Sing
Varsity

Re: Reversal

Postby mustangxc » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:15 pm

Rick Hart killed SMU basketball and so far Rob Lanier has not shown signs of a revival.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:32 pm

I did enjoy one possession during the ULM game when at least 5 guys touched the ball as we moved it around giving up a couple of good looks for the best look and I can't remember who took the shot but he knocked it down, reminding me how much fun it was to watch a Larry Brown coached team play.
Charleston Pony

Postby Hop Sing » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:57 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I did enjoy one possession during the ULM game when at least 5 guys touched the ball as we moved it around giving up a couple of good looks for the best look and I can't remember who took the shot but he knocked it down, reminding me how much fun it was to watch a Larry Brown coached team play.

I know exactly what play you are talking about and I had the same thought! It was total déjà vu. Beautiful and frustrating at the same time because it’s so rare.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby PonyEnergy » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:23 pm

mustangxc wrote:Rick Hart killed SMU basketball and so far Rob Lanier has not shown signs of a revival.

I can be a tad delusional regarding our Ponies BUT we could...
finish non-conference with 3 or less losses
finish season with less than 9 losses
be a 7-10 seed in the dance
win our first march madness game in almost 40 years

WHY NOT :)
PonyEnergy
Scout Team

Postby WildHorse » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:42 pm

mustangxc wrote:Rick Hart killed SMU basketball and so far Rob Lanier has not shown signs of a revival.

Or maybe it was the guy who left every team he coached on probation that killed it.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:11 pm

No, that guy built up SMU basketball into a nationally relevant program. Rick Hart didn't protect him from the NCAA the way other programs do. He didn't keep him happy and then ran off our fan base eliminating our home court advantage. As difficult as it has been for SMU to cultivate a fan base, why would you ever take it for granted when it finally arrives?!!!!!
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:22 pm

mustangxc wrote:No, that guy built up SMU basketball into a nationally relevant program. Rick Hart didn't protect him from the NCAA the way other programs do. He didn't keep him happy and then ran off our fan base eliminating our home court advantage. As difficult as it has been for SMU to cultivate a fan base, why would you ever take it for granted when it finally arrives?!!!!!

Completely agree
Charleston Pony

Postby Hop Sing » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:53 pm

WildHorse wrote:

Or maybe it was the guy who left every team he coached on probation that killed it.

Uh no, it was definitely Hart. SMU honchos mistakenly thought that shiny new Moody and the spare coach from Illinois State were the real reason for the packed house, conference championship, NIT, big dance, students lined up trying to get tickets, celebrities in the house etc. This insanity led to them leaving our Hall of Fame coach swinging in the wind when the NCAA showed up, and then actually try to play contract hardball with him. He literally transformed a doormat into one of the hottest tickets in town, and Hart screwed that up. I don’t think he was the Lone Ranger in this Egregious act though.

I’m grateful for David Miller and all that he has done, but Larry Brown should have finished his coaching career here and his name should be on the court. This whole debacle will go down in history as the worst thing since the DP at SMU.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby redpony » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:37 am

hopsing and mxc are spot on. hart made a mess of our bball program. and to compound matters it looks like his latest hire is not the answer. IMO to bring back the excitement and Moody magic we are going to need a big name coach with skins on the wall. One who will generate interest and excitement in our old fan base, the students and the Dallas bball community.
I'm not sure the powers that be are going to be pleased when our bball team is the embarrassment of the ACC bluebloods. After two years as coach we will struggle to be mediocre at best. Compare that to RL and our fball program who is playing for a conference championship in his second year.
redpony

Postby mtrout » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:31 am

Lanier is in a tough spot.
Task #1- resurrect a struggling team
Surprise Task #2- prepare for a massive conference upgrade to the ACC

Lashlee has it easier because he inherited a really good team.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby AfricanMustang » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:47 am

WildHorse wrote:

Both can be true - our strengths are usually our weaknesses as well.
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:45 pm

mtrout wrote:

Lanier is in a tough spot.
Task #1- resurrect a struggling team
Surprise Task #2- prepare for a massive conference upgrade to the ACC

Lashlee has it easier because he inherited a really good team.

They were similar situations. Jankovich left after an NIT appearance. It's up to Lanier to build on that success. So far the drop off from Jankovich to Lanier has been much steeper than the drop off from Brown to Jankovich.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:03 pm

Jankovich inherited a talented team. Lashlee inherited a talented team. Lanier inherited a dumpster fire as his 1st team had lost most of it's talent including 4 double figure scorers in Kendric Davis, Marcus & Michael Weathers & Bandoumel. Nutall, Phelps & Jalen Smith each averaged over 10 minutes per game but scored about 13 ppg combined. Lanier's 1st team also lost bench contributions from Todorovic, Tristan Clark & Jasey. Remember that Lanier also lost Jank's top recruit (Anamekwe) who has barely sniffed the floor at UT.

It will be interesting to see how much this roster turns over at year end and who Lanier might be able to bring in via the transfer portal but this is clearly a work in progress that will need to improve year over year and that task gets more difficult against ACC competition next year
Charleston Pony

Postby DonaldsTrump » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:22 pm

Bla Bla
DonaldsTrump

Next

Return to Basketball