PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

12/16 SMU @ FSU

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 12/16 SMU @ FSU

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:30 pm

FSU looks like a really bad team but maybe I'm not giving our guys enough credit. Big double double for Tyreek tonight and Williamson was all over the offensive boards in that 2nd half. Our FT shooting remains a huge issue and it's going to be tough to protect leads late in games if that doesn't improve. Harris sure has been a difference maker for this team as he's the only dependable shooter we have. Jalen had a couple of timely threes tonight but 15 offensive boards on 30 missed shots was a huge part of being able to protect that lead. I liked seeing us throw it over the press and make FSU pay a couple of times but this team still struggles against the press
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:46 pm

I'm just glad we finally managed to close out a big lead against a mediocre opponent. If we had managed to do that against Dayton and Arizona State we could be 9-2 and if we had done it against Wisconsin we could be 10-1. We are not that far from contending, but this team is still frustrating to watch. I still think NIT has to be the goal for this team.
mustangxc

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:19 am

EastStang wrote:Not a great crowd.

Tucker Center is 1,500 shy of being double Moody capacity, plus our lower and upper tiers help us. We keep the upper tier dark and you don’t know what the crowd is up their watching on tv.

Nice to get the win
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:18 pm

Hop Sing wrote:

Tucker Center is 1,500 shy of being double Moody capacity, plus our lower and upper tiers help us. We keep the upper tier dark and you don’t know what the crowd is up their watching on tv.

Nice to get the win

FSU has almost 30k undergrad population. Big difference when they are gone for semester break. Plus, when FSU puts almost 80k in Doak Campbell for football, plenty of those people are traveling to attend whereas I doubt many outside the immediate area are regularly attending basketball games. The sparse crowd probably made our guys feel right at home :lol:
Charleston Pony

Postby Hop Sing » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:44 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
Hop Sing wrote:

Nice to get the win

FSU has almost 30k undergrad population. Big difference when they are gone for semester break. Plus, when FSU puts almost 80k in Doak Campbell for football, plenty of those people are traveling to attend whereas I doubt many outside the immediate area are regularly attending basketball games. The sparse crowd probably made our guys feel right at home :lol:

Yes, that was the difference maker. Felt like a home game! :)
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:50 pm

Hop Sing wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:
Hop Sing wrote:

Nice to get the win

Yes, that was the difference maker. Felt like a home game! :)

To be fair, SMU has demonstrated that they will support a winning team that plays good, attractive basketball. This version of SMU basketball is not one that has me feeling Moody Magic is anywhere close to being on the horizon.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:07 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:To be fair, SMU has demonstrated that they will support a winning team that plays good, attractive basketball. This version of SMU basketball is not one that has me feeling Moody Magic is anywhere close to being on the horizon.

This team will still need our visitors to be the attraction. Couldn't even sellout for A$M so that was pretty telling. Memphis and UNT might be the only opponents that will help us draw more than 5k this year but yes, if SMU can put a Top 25 caliber program (like we had under L.B.) on the court against an ACC schedule Moody Magic will definitely return. It is easy to forget how LB's teams had a 4-5 game win streak against Houston but it wasn't that long ago so there is hope.
Charleston Pony

Postby Hop Sing » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:59 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
Mustangs_Maroons wrote:To be fair, SMU has demonstrated that they will support a winning team that plays good, attractive basketball. This version of SMU basketball is not one that has me feeling Moody Magic is anywhere close to being on the horizon.

This team will still need our visitors to be the attraction. Couldn't even sellout for A$M so that was pretty telling. Memphis and UNT might be the only opponents that will help us draw more than 5k this year but yes, if SMU can put a Top 25 caliber program (like we had under L.B.) on the court against an ACC schedule Moody Magic will definitely return. It is easy to forget how LB's teams had a 4-5 game win streak against Houston but it wasn't that long ago so there is hope.

You left out FAU, and I think they will draw much better than NT. I think you are counting on NT fans to show and I’m sure they will, but our students and fans will show for the ranked teams. Moody can definitely be magic again, but it’s going to take actually being competitive in the ACC and beating the big boys occasionally. Moody will be rocking for Duke and North Carolina, but it will take a return to the top 25 for it to rock against everyone.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:05 am

Hop Sing wrote:You left out FAU

We don't get them in Moody
Charleston Pony

Postby Hop Sing » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:38 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
Hop Sing wrote:You left out FAU

We don't get them in Moody

My bad, I obviously should have looked at our schedule.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball