PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NET rankings

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: NET rankings

Postby indianmustang » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:10 am

Mustang from India
indianmustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby indianmustang » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:30 am

Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:25 pm

SMU still looking for that elusive Quad One win, Thursday could be our last opportunity depending on how the AAC Tourney plays out. That's the down side of AAC play, i.e., the lack of Quad One opportunities during conference play
Charleston Pony

Postby highlander » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:11 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:SMU still looking for that elusive Quad One win, Thursday could be our last opportunity depending on how the AAC Tourney plays out. That's the down side of AAC play, i.e., the lack of Quad One opportunities during conference play

How is USF not quad 1 at this point? What did they do wrong?
highlander
Varsity

Postby Dukie » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:25 pm

highlander wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:SMU still looking for that elusive Quad One win, Thursday could be our last opportunity depending on how the AAC Tourney plays out. That's the down side of AAC play, i.e., the lack of Quad One opportunities during conference play

They are #92 as of today, and have been moving up. A road win over them would become a Quad 1 win for SMU *if* the Bulls rise to #75 or higher. (Quad 1 is different on the road--top 75, on a neutral court--top 50, and at home--top 30.)

USF is as low as they are because they started the season losing to heavyweights Central Michigan, Maine, Hofstra, and UMass. It's really just a function of their team not knowing one anothers' names at the start of the season, then they figured out how to play together.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby highlander » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:40 pm

Dukie wrote:
highlander wrote:

They are #92 as of today, and have been moving up. A road win over them would become a Quad 1 win for SMU *if* the Bulls rise to #75 or higher. (Quad 1 is different on the road--top 75, on a neutral court--top 50, and at home--top 30.)

USF is as low as they are because they started the season losing to heavyweights Central Michigan, Maine, Hofstra, and UMass. It's really just a function of their team not knowing one anothers' names at the start of the season, then they figured out how to play together.

Thanks. I am still learning about computer rankings. This confirms my suspicion that these computer rankings can't (or don't) capture current quality of play.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Dukie » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:04 pm

highlander wrote:Thanks. I am still learning about computer rankings. This confirms my suspicion that these computer rankings can't (or don't) capture current quality of play.

Correct, they do not really attempt to capture ebbs and flows over the season. If they did, USF today would be higher, and Memphis today would be lower.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:17 pm

The NCAA committee used to look very closely at a team's last 10 games as an indicator of whether they are playing their best basketball at tournament time (or how healthy they might be at that time of the year). Everyone gets upset early in the season as guys are learning to play with new teammates. Those early season USF losses are really bad losses to overcome because there were so many of them
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:18 am

if we can win these next 2 on the road and take care of busines where we should, I can't imagine not being in the dance
Pony ^

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:32 am

Pony ^ wrote:if we can win these next 2 on the road and take care of busines where we should, I can't imagine not being in the dance

I think we would probably need to win out in the regular season and at least reach the AAC Tourney final to have a strong enough resume to get an at-large bid
Charleston Pony

Postby smubrooks » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:16 pm

Unless we win the conference tourney we're getting left out. Been a fan long enough to know that with certainty!
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Postby Hop Sing » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:54 pm

smubrooks wrote:Unless we win the conference tourney we're getting left out. Been a fan long enough to know that with certainty!

I think if we were to win the next 5 and make the tourney final we would have a good shot, but outside of that I completely agree. We should have been in the year we went to the NIT and got snubbed, so nothing would surprise me.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby highlander » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:17 pm

This is all speculation, but I think running the table and then winning our first tourney game gets us in. I don't think we have to make it to the final.

If we win the next 2, our NET is going to be in the 27-range.
highlander
Varsity

Postby highlander » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:22 pm

Our record on this chart is wrong. We are 19-7, not 18-7. I DEMAND A RE-CALC!!!!!
highlander
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:47 pm

Our game against Southwest Assemblies of God doesn't count and it shouldn't. Power conference schools should be embarrassed to schedule those teams.
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball